Author Topic: A day in the life of TylerDurden  (Read 369512 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: A day in the life of TylerDurden
« Reply #425 on: March 28, 2010, 08:57:03 pm »
Wow... I've never been able to buy suet except on a special offer at the farmers market. And all of the suppliers save one are very unreliable. If it weren't for that one, I wouldn't be able to find any raw animal fat consistently. The hunter said the butcher doesn't give him the suet and they throw away the back fat when taking off the hide! I'd gladly have the grainfed organic stuff in the market if I could..
  If people are in a position where they just cannot get hold of 100% grassfed meats/fats, then by all means go in for organic, grainfed meats but make sure to supplement with Mercola's cold-extracted krill-oil capsules so that you get the necessary large amounts of omega-3s. I'm convinced that they play a major role in health, especially in old age.

That said, my own past experience has shown me that even in places where high-quality raw foods seemed completely unavailable at first, that, after long off-line and on-line searches  I was always eventually able to find sufficient high-quality foods.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #426 on: March 28, 2010, 08:59:57 pm »
YMy guess is that the cheaper the meat, the more grains/soy/molasses/chicken feces/etc. they are fed. It seems that when it comes to meats you do generally get what you pay for.
  Well, much of the non-organic but 100% grassfed meats I've come across actually have proven to be cheaper than many grainfed meats I've come across. You see with many grassfed animals, one just has to leave them out to graze (for free) most of the time so maintenance costs are lower than with grainfed animals, then there are lower costs re health maintenance etc.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #427 on: March 29, 2010, 02:58:01 am »
Another caveat:- I've done some recent experiments with adding sauces and it confirmed what I'd thought before, that adding spices, however raw, distorts the "stop" signal one gets from raw meats so that one inevitably  ends up eating more than one should. In short, while newbies should use raw spices at first to get used to the taste of raw animal foods, they should eventually stop doing so, and get used to eating raw animal foods on their own, without any extra spices.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 29, 2010, 11:44:33 am »
  Well, much of the non-organic but 100% grassfed meats I've come across actually have proven to be cheaper than many grainfed meats I've come across. You see with many grassfed animals, one just has to leave them out to graze (for free) most of the time so maintenance costs are lower than with grainfed animals, then there are lower costs re health maintenance etc.
Interesting. That's not the case in my area, but the USA has huge factory farms that probably have greater economies of scale than the grain-fed cattle operations in the UK. Once again there appear to be major differences between nations.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline JazzIsGood

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 29, 2010, 11:59:22 am »
Hmmmm....... How exactly does a day in the life of Geoff go? Well, Geoff.  What's your average day like from start to end?  8)
"To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true." -Aristotle

"A legend is an old man with a cane known for what he used to do. I'm still doing it." -Miles Davis

"Duran always disturbs me. The guy is just weird. Before our first fight, both Duran and his wife gave my wife the finger." -Sugar Ray Leonard

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #430 on: March 29, 2010, 05:44:52 pm »
Interesting. That's not the case in my area, but the USA has huge factory farms that probably have greater economies of scale than the grain-fed cattle operations in the UK. Once again there appear to be major differences between nations.
  Yes, that makes sense. I've noticed , again and again, that US prices for foods or anything else are always far lower than in the UK because of economies of scale. Makes me envious.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #431 on: March 29, 2010, 05:46:43 pm »
Hmmmm....... How exactly does a day in the life of Geoff go? Well, Geoff.  What's your average day like from start to end?  8)
  No different from others except that I eat raw meats.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 29, 2010, 10:55:58 pm »
  Yes, that makes sense. I've noticed , again and again, that US prices for foods or anything else are always far lower than in the UK because of economies of scale. Makes me envious.
The downside of economies of scale is that our foods are probably more heavily processed and chemically laden than any other major nation's.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline JazzIsGood

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 30, 2010, 04:54:15 am »
  No different from others except that I eat raw meats.

l) I should've expected that for an answer.

Aw c'mon Geoff. What's your day like? What's your job? Hobbies? You wake up early, or a late sleeper? Watch TV? That's what I was talking about as far as a day in the life.
"To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true." -Aristotle

"A legend is an old man with a cane known for what he used to do. I'm still doing it." -Miles Davis

"Duran always disturbs me. The guy is just weird. Before our first fight, both Duran and his wife gave my wife the finger." -Sugar Ray Leonard

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #434 on: March 30, 2010, 05:35:17 am »
I don't generally disclose much  personal info online ever since I once got bombarded with literally dozens of  daily e-mails by 1 or 2 individuals. Besides, if you look through my past myriad posts you'll find I disclose rather a lot of details re when I go to sleep etc. Too dull to rehash.
" Ron Paul.

Offline JazzIsGood

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: March 30, 2010, 06:37:17 am »
I don't generally disclose much  personal info online ever since I once got bombarded with literally dozens of  daily e-mails by 1 or 2 individuals. Besides, if you look through my past myriad posts you'll find I disclose rather a lot of details re when I go to sleep etc. Too dull to rehash.

Good points. Both on the stalkers bombarding your e-mail, and the too dull to rehash.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #436 on: March 30, 2010, 07:40:57 pm »
Well, my supply of raw wild venison is going to finish in a month, sadly. On the other hand, raw lobsters/crabs will be available from then on.

While I do go on and on about the moral and personal benefits of buying from small-time farmers than from big stores or the larger farms,  due to the much higher quality of the formers' meats etc., I also have to admit that it occasionally makes the issue of supply difficult as they often have certain foods only available seasonally or they simply don't have enough animals available for slaughter at certain times. Farmers' markets can also be a problem if the weather is bad(snow often seems to make certain stalls not appear at my market). 
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #437 on: March 31, 2010, 06:27:27 pm »
I just came across some reports re UK health service trying to ban nurses from wearing crucifixes, however tiny they might be. This really disgusts me as I distinctly remember when I was recently  abroad in that hospital in Zams , that there were large crosses in every room; I even saw nuns walking about the place, obviously doing nursing part-time as well. There's just no good reason for such a ban. Mind you, it doesn't surprise me as most Western European countries have far better health-services, in all respects, than the one we have in the UK.

" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #438 on: April 02, 2010, 06:01:47 pm »
Well, here's an article which suggests I should have kept a stiff upper lip instead of complaining re my previous hospital visit:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/7544742/Words-can-cause-physical-pain.html

I would disagree, griping about things seemed to give me a greater degree of control, but anyway.....
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 09:23:04 pm by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: April 02, 2010, 09:06:30 pm »

lol
I always wanted to sew the dentist's mouth every time I heard the words "this is going to heart", but I know I cant really expect them to be professional communicators.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #440 on: April 08, 2010, 05:11:31 pm »
I'd mistakenly left some raw swordfish out for 10 days in the fridge so it's stinking but not as much as I'd expected. Anyway, I've eaten part of  it and was surprised to find that it didn't taste as bad as I'd thought. When I first tried making "high-meat" 3 years into this diet,  I'd noticed that I still didn't like the taste of raw aged fish(however slightly aged), so gave up on it and only ate fresh raw seafood, but it seems that I may have gotten used to it by now. Anyway, it looks as though I may sooner or later be able to eat century eggs and other raw aged animal foods instead of just aged raw tongue/heart.
" Ron Paul.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: April 08, 2010, 08:14:05 pm »

How long would you age the eggs?

I assume you don't plan on leaving them for 25 years.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #442 on: April 09, 2010, 05:11:15 am »
No, just for a month or more.

I've become abit lazy and non-innovative with this diet and sometime I may go in for raw meats aged for a whole year but for now I'll just stick to the c 1-month period.
" Ron Paul.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: April 09, 2010, 07:54:45 am »
I do eat high fish from time to time. 

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #444 on: April 18, 2010, 01:55:04 am »
In my last shop, I found out that the fishmonger at my farmers' market no longer sells mussels as he claims they're no longer in season. They are sold by other fishmongers still,but he says it is unethical(and I have to admit that the mussels I've got from other sources, off-season, have never been that good anyway re taste; same with oysters off-season, though the latter may have been farmed as well). Anyway, try to buy foods in season, when possible.

" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #445 on: April 23, 2010, 08:47:28 pm »
I just got a surprising remark from a local assistant in a nearby shop. He approved of my buying lots of fruit. He said he did that too for health. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I'd been gorging on too much raw meats in the past 10 days and had run out, so that I was merely eating raw fruit until Sunday came and I could buy some high-quality raw meats again.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #446 on: April 25, 2010, 10:15:29 pm »
I find that I now spend something like 170 pounds  as a maximum every 2 weeks, so that's 85 pounds a week max(raw meats/raw fruits and mineral-water). This is about the same as I spent on food on a SAD diet of junk-foods, breakfast-cereals and milk, and tapwater. If one includes the money I spent on additional sweets/chocolates etc., my current diet is actually less expensive than in pre-RPD days.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 05:08:11 pm by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #447 on: April 26, 2010, 06:02:05 pm »
I think I'm eating more than I need. I've not been doing my whole-day fasts to the extent I used to do in the past(3-4 days a fortnight it used to be), so will want to reintroduce that element into my diet.Also, I want to see if I eat less if I don't drink water during each meal. I suspect that water-intake during a meal tricks the body into eating more than it requires.
" Ron Paul.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: April 27, 2010, 09:08:25 am »
I fast every day and love it. Tyler, I dropped the ghee and lard and am now fully raw meat and raw fat.

I make a decent salary, but have no access to raw grassfed beef fat. What would you think about getting at least non-feedlot raw beef fat from Whole Foods?  Or I could order the U.S. Wellness suet. I would not want the  tallow, as that is cooked / processed.

Right now I eat mainly Trader Joe's 80/20 ground beef, raw of course, which is not grassfed but is organic (per TJs) and I eat bone marrow fat raw (not grassfed either).  I take Carlson cod liver oil. I was doing raw egg yolks, but since I've been air-drying my ground beef, a wet texture turns me off (which is why I struggle with liver).

I wish to stay raw zc. Do you have any suggestions for me?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #449 on: April 27, 2010, 05:49:09 pm »
I fast every day and love it. Tyler, I dropped the ghee and lard and am now fully raw meat and raw fat.
  Good that you dropped the lard and ghee. As regards ghee, I've always been sceptical that processing a harmful food somehow makes it better; there's always trace residues of allergens/toxins. In the case of lard, I hear there's even hydrogenated lard, quite aside from the grainfed issue.

I make a decent salary, but have no access to raw grassfed beef fat. What would you think about getting at least non-feedlot raw beef fat from Whole Foods?  Or I could order the U.S. Wellness suet. I would not want the  tallow, as that is cooked / processed.

I heard 1 or 2 vague claims that US Wellness meats were not perhaps high-quality(ie not 100% grassfed). On the other hand, I've had comments from others who say it's absolutely fine. I can't  verify this rumour as I'm not in the US, of course.

As for Wholefoods, they are notoriously known as "WholePayCheck", and I simply don't trust larger businesses as being too concerned re quality of raw meats. Plus, I once went into the 1st Wholefoods store to be opened in the UK and was horrified to find no organic or grassfed meats available, just overpriced "standard" meats.Same with the fruit which was all "conventional" and similiarly over-priced.

I would have thought that the best option would be to order from some grassfed meat farm such as Slanker's or NorthStar Bison. Granted, there would be delivery-charges, but if the farm is near your State, those might be cheaper. Eatwild.com has suitable sources.
Right now I eat mainly Trader Joe's 80/20 ground beef, raw of course, which is not grassfed but is organic (per TJs) and I eat bone marrow fat raw (not grassfed either).  I take Carlson cod liver oil. I was doing raw egg yolks, but since I've been air-drying my ground beef, a wet texture turns me off (which is why I struggle with liver).

I've just checked Carlson cod liver oil details online. I don't see any mention of raw, just a mention of "high-quality". I note that a "steam-extraction process" is used to get the cod liver oil so I'm not surprised there is no mention of raw in the material. I would strongly suggest you instead buy the genuinely raw, fermented cod liver oil from "Green Pastures". You might also consider Mercola's cold-extracted krill-oil as the latter contains even higher levels of omega-3s, so that is useful in times when you can't get hold of raw grassfed meats.

As for the grainfed issue, I'm not sure how you can stand it. I used to be forced to eat raw, grainfed marrow in Italy on vacation before I found my current source of grassfed horsemeat, and it was so bland in taste I had to force myself to eat it.

Re drying etc.:- If you can't handle raw liver, you could always mix a little of  it into a food-mixer with raw meats, raw marrow etc. Also, I really recommend raw beef/ox tongue. While sources of 100% grassfed raw marrow are extremely difficult to find(I love the stuff), raw (100% grassfed) beef tongue is much easier for me to get hold of. The raw tongue is a bit slimy and most newbies feel the need to cut out and avoid the darker, stringier parts on the underside of the tongue as well as the hardened tip of the tongue,  but raw tongue is something like 50-60% raw animal fat and excellent in taste. So, no need to go for raw liver or kidney as yet.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk