Author Topic: What rawpalaeo foods are you eating right now?  (Read 529452 times)

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: What rawpalaeo foods are you eating right now?
« Reply #1100 on: April 23, 2012, 10:33:34 am »
Spring lamb! I just completed my one-year raw paleo anniversary, so I'm reminiscing about my first few weeks... it was spring lamb that I ate then. No wonder I'm so enthusiastic about raw paleo.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

CitrusHigh

« Reply #1101 on: April 23, 2012, 11:18:20 am »
Happy One year Eve! I look back fondly on my first days RVAF too! I also started out with lamb!

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #1102 on: April 23, 2012, 11:59:41 am »
Yesterday I tried some farmed crocodile.  It was a white meat.  Just for the heck of it.  Being farmed, its diet was farmed pork and farmed chicken.  Just filled out my curiosity.  It wasn't bad.  But it was very lean.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Lynnzard

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: April 23, 2012, 12:25:07 pm »
I've had lots of wild alligator. Comes with the territory. I've never tried it raw yet, but it is also a very lean meat. I think most reptile meat is.
Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: May 18, 2012, 07:25:18 am »

Lamb leg, lamb brain, lamb fat, lamb kabob, coconut butter.

Very typical dinner.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: May 19, 2012, 12:03:03 am »
Wow, Sabertooth that is great. Lamb is my next hurdle. I am wanting to eat more of it. The gamey taste is enticing, but new to me and strong. I've been getting small pieces to let myself learn what flavorful natural food is. Thanks for sharing your dinner.
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: May 19, 2012, 03:20:45 pm »
There is a large variety of flavors of Lamb. I have had many different breeds that were raised on different pastures and every breed has a slightly different flavor. Some lamb is gamey while other lamb is real mild and sweet. I love these Romney sheep I have been getting lately. I have also got some good Shetlands at one time.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 03:33:00 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline Adora

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: May 22, 2012, 09:45:23 am »
Sabertooth - Could I ever start to love gamey. My fish monger is disgusted with the public's "bland appetite", he likes a fish with "flavor". How come we look to Guinness stout, or blue cheese for flavor and not to a raw gamey lamb liver? I confused as to why wild and gamey aren't the yumiest. Some part of me wants it so bad, but I have to starve myself before I really want even a few bites. My primal taste buds are slowly awakening. But my head gets in the way.

know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

I grew and well I was;
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: May 22, 2012, 03:10:21 pm »
Unfortunately most people become accustomed to the very bland taste of conventionally raised, grain finished meat early in life, and so are turned off by the stronger flavors of wild game meats. I have been getting sheep directly from the farm and for the most part what I get taste sweet and mild, of course I have been eating this way for so long that I no longer consider the flavor gamey.

Try experimenting with different sources from different types of animals. Calf meat often has a very delicate flavor. Sheep are my personal favorite, but a grass fed goat can also have a real mild taste. Deer meat has a strong gamey taste that could help you become more accustom to stronger flavors.

Offline Adora

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: May 23, 2012, 03:12:04 am »
    I like beef and calf meat. I love deer, when it is female or young, hard to take the big boys though - they stink. I think I had a Romney lamb, and it was more pleasant. I liked goat cooked.
I do see some progress toward a more primal palette. I just ate a fair amount of 2 week old pig liver. It was open to air in the fridge. It kept very well. The membrane around the liver turned into a dark skin, but I peeled it back and it smelled very good. I'm happy when I notice these little "improvements" in my appetite, but they are slow.
   Have you/or anybody eaten raw squirrel or rabbit? How did that go. I had a bad experience with my squirrel. Part of it is the grain feed meat, but my head is the other problem. When I butcher something I'm freaked by the messiness of it. I'm not much of a butcher; fur, feathers, guts all over. It's not food it is SOOO dead animal. My head is accustomed to skipping that step by going to the grocery store, even the farm, and buying in an appealing package. All other predators eat with just their claws and teeth, fur, guts, etc, only encourages them. I started to eat with my hands and tear meat apart, and bite into a chunk instead of cutting it. It feels right deep inside, but so foreign at the same time. I had this idea that I would rip open a squirrel and it will be clean and smell like the meat dept. That wasn't reality. The meat was fairly mild, but I couldn't get the smells that came from the butchering experience out of my head.  Does this get better? I've butchered at least 20 times now, I still find it very unappetizing.  -[

Oracle at Delphi

I grew and well I was;

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: May 23, 2012, 05:16:37 pm »
For breakfast - kiwifruit, lemon, liver, beef, egg yolk, celery, broccoli, ginger, I was in a hurry so I used a food processor to do the chewing:

Dinner: Bed of baby spinach with beef, kidney, sprouted linseed, and grated butternut:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 06:14:39 pm by miker »

Offline Isthmus

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: June 20, 2012, 05:11:49 am »
Dinner: Two lamb hearts, lamb liver, beef kidney and venison!

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #1112 on: June 22, 2012, 07:26:02 am »
Breakfast

Ripe organic papaya from Palawan
Raw pili nuts also from palawan
Raw duck eggs from laguna

Doing that vitamin c plus raw fat thing for max absorption of vit c
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: June 22, 2012, 09:58:59 am »
It's fresh fig season. Hoorah! Yum, yum, yum, savor, savor, chew, chew.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #1114 on: June 22, 2012, 10:41:29 am »

How different are fresh figs from dried figs in taste?  Are fresh figs hydrating? Sweeter?

The only figs I've tasted are dried figs from Turkey.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: June 22, 2012, 12:08:43 pm »

Really? My little trees aren't ripe yet. Counting the days.

GS - fresh figs are very different from the original fruit - just like with almost all fruits. Figs have those little flowerettes inside that are crunchy when dried and when fresh - so that's different than other fruits. Figs also when drying send the sugars to the outside so you get that sugar hit from the start. The fig that I love fresh is black mission. The others I prefer dried at least most of them. I haven't tried all of the ... yet. Also, I have yet to have them fresh from my own trees and that's always going to be different. Figs have to ripen on the tree of they will never ripen - that's why you probably haven't been able to try them.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: June 22, 2012, 10:27:53 pm »
o man i saw figs at the store..a little plastic clam shell of 5 unripe black mission figs for 6 dollars:( i figs are much more creamy and not as sickly sweet when ripe, they have a hint of latex in the skin too, they are moist around the crunchy seeds.  i love figs but they dont grow in colorado so none for me this year :( i did have the first wild currants of the season a few days ago, which is about a month early, they were ok, kinda mealy...

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: June 23, 2012, 12:11:34 am »
Interestingly (at least to me  :) ) those crunchy "seeds" inside the fig are really flowers.

The flower is not visible, as it blooms inside the infructescence. Although commonly referred to as a fruit, the fig is actually the infructescence or s?ion of the tree, known as a false fruit or multiple fruit, in which the flowers and seeds are borne. It is a hollow-ended stem containing many flowers. The small orifice (ostiole) visible on the middle of the fruit is a narrow passage, which allows to the specialized fig wasp, to enter the fruit and pollinate the flower, whereafter the fruit grows seeds.
The genus Dorstenia, which, like the fig, is in the mulberry family (Moraceae), exhibits similar tiny flowers arranged on a receptacle but in this case the receptacle is a more or less flat, open surface. It is a structure intermediate between the fig and the mulberry, where the fig corresponds in structure to an invaginated or inside-out mulberry.
The infrutescence is pollinated by a symbiosis with a kind of fig wasp. The fertilized female wasp enters the fig through the sicon, which is a tiny hole in the crown (the ostiole). She crawls on the inflorescence inside the fig and pollinates some of the female flowers. She lays her eggs inside some of the flowers and dies. After weeks of development in their galls, the male wasps emerge before females through holes they produce by chewing the galls. The male wasps then fertilize the females by depositing semen in the hole in the gall. The males later return to the females and enlarge the holes to facilitate the females to emerge. Then some males enlarge holes in the sicon, which enables females to disperse after collecting pollen from the developed male flowers. Females have a short time (<48 hours) to find another fig tree with receptive siconios to spread the pollen and assist the tree in reproduction.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #1118 on: June 23, 2012, 12:51:56 am »
Thanks Dorothy, did not know, that IS very intersting!

I've been munching on...

wild raspberries and black berries as I move our cows around. Arugula, saskatoon berries, blue berries, dandelion, violets, clover and our strawberries.

Will have duck soon! Most of them will be for breeding and laying eggs, but will butcher a few of the males I'm sure,  yummy raw, super fatty duck deliciousness thank you !

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: June 23, 2012, 06:40:12 am »
o man i saw figs at the store..a little plastic clam shell of 5 unripe black mission figs for 6 dollars...
Fresh figs and cherimoya are both pricey on a per .lb basis, but they are special treats that are well worth the price to me, in small quantities. Small price to pay for two of the favorite fruits of humans and chimps who are familiar with them. Plus, the price per nutrition, health benefit, and taste satisfaction is much better than many other foods. Price per .lb doesn't tell us much about what the food is really worth.

Duck breast definitely does taste better raw or dried or cold smoked than cooked.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: June 23, 2012, 06:43:45 am »
perhaps the emphasis should have been on "unripe" cause thats what i was really bummed on...i always fork over the dough for delicious+nutritious seasonal goods.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: June 23, 2012, 06:48:48 am »
Ah, yes. The black mission fruits I nabbed were perfectly ripe and delicious. The brown turkey figs I grabbed for variety were overripe, unfortunately. They don't taste as good anyway, so I won't bother with those any more. I like the fresh calimyrna green figs too.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #1122 on: June 23, 2012, 10:43:19 am »
In uruguay where my mom grew up it's mostly the green figs if they have any missions at all. I love them both! GS the difference between them is the difference between a raisin as a grape, they're both good, but almost enough contrast to call them different foods all together.

I've never heard of an overripe fig though Phil! Unless they're actually rotted, I like them the softer and gooshier the better! In uruguay with little exaggeration, pretty much everyone has a fig tree in the yard, and guess what, they hardly eat them!! ahhhh. Which worked out well for me because it was a smorgasbord and I was all to happy to oblige.

I'd love to start growing my own indoor in a big pot eventually and move outside during the summer, although Raw said they grow in new york so maybe there's a hardy variety that produces a passable fig for the northland. 

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: June 23, 2012, 11:31:48 am »
phil do you purchase organic cherimoya? i saw some at the asian store last week but tend to stay away from most vegetables there because, in addition to everything there being conventionally produced, i am somewhat suspect of there gargantuan cartoonish size and appearance meaning they really pump those plants full of something crazy.  the cherimoya looked enticing though, and was pretty inexpensive

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: June 25, 2012, 08:57:02 am »
over fertilized plants are low in minerals so make up for the lack of rigidity with excess water.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk