Author Topic: Living in the wild  (Read 67423 times)

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Living in the wild
« Reply #175 on: January 16, 2011, 09:29:55 pm »
no cup?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 17, 2011, 03:54:16 am »
I have been planning on leaving into the wilderness for several years now and I'm finally ready…Careful practice and planning has made it possible..Going to British Columbia, Canada..well its 100 miles east of Juneau Alaska just north of telegraph creek, a small town…the Taku river…its a salt water river that comes in off the ocean. just north of there is a fresh water river called Teslin river…it is between there where we plan on going. I did weather geographics on that area and it has the warmest summers in Canada as well as not so bad winters…hasnt gone below -7 in 30 years…average temp there is around 2-38 degrees in winter non factoring the wind chill and 55-70 in summer..trust me Id like to live in a warm climate but unfortunately you need ice and freezing temps to preserve food, hides, water, etc. Shelter with inside heating as well as stocked food and warm clothing will get us through winters no problem. There is also hot springs up there which i was able to get a satellite location on 2 right near where we plan on going…The spot is perfect 40-50 miles from 2 diff towns as well as less than 100 miles from the ocean and Juneau Alaska..salt water is needed for salt as well as a great food source so its a great location.
Thanks,
Dan
Cool! Sounds wonderful! But I'm fixing up my place to start a small farm and expecting some friends from this forum. With a small child, it's not easy to face adventure. Wishing you the best.
bugs or country chickens

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 17, 2011, 08:34:04 am »
no cup?

HAHAHA!!!... got some shit on your mind miles?

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 18, 2011, 03:40:23 am »
But I'm fixing up my place to start a small farm and expecting some friends from this forum.  
Wonderful  8)
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 18, 2011, 05:35:29 am »
This dude is spamming this message all over the net? 
That's not paleo.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: January 18, 2011, 10:15:48 am »
I wouldn't call that raw vegan retreat place "the wild."

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 13, 2011, 12:13:41 am »
Hey I'm moving on Thursday up North in the UK to practise some teamwork and wildy-living skills with a group for a few weeks and then I'm going off to mainland Europe to live in the woods so I'll hardly be on after Thursday and then I won't be on at all after that, for a while at least.

Maybe I'll get on here after a while and report some of my experiences. Who knows maybe someone will want to join my group.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 01:00:22 am by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 13, 2011, 04:14:46 am »

Are there forest patrols?
When we chatted last you spoke of Apache national park, I looked into it and they threaten imprisonment for hunting without their permission. They call it "game thief" or "poaching". You should be aware if there are similar groups where you are going.
Not to deter you, just don't want you to end up eating prison food.

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
« Reply #183 on: April 13, 2011, 04:33:13 am »
You all should watch Out of the Wild: Venuzela on Discovery Channel, Discovery on Demand or discovery's website: http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/out-of-the-wild/out-of-the-wild.html

Basically a bunch of civilized, US, neolithic peeps (average US people) choose to live in the wild for a few weeks in Venuzela a very untoched and large foresty place in America.

They go from their SAD to foraging and hunter gathering with little help, and basically eat a semi-raw cooked meat raw paleo diet. They ate insects, wild animals, fish, etc fruits, plants, whatever they could find.

It's still airing.

There's hope and they build things like tools, rafts, etc besides all the tools they have. They basically took a survival class with Venuzela's native Pemon Native Americans.

There's still hope that we can re-wild as they we're born into society and became hunter gatherers. Watch it.

Anyone know any good wild places in NYC (and no not central park, too many pesticides and people)

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 18, 2011, 07:19:50 am »
Has anyone read this book, Rewild or Die?

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 18, 2011, 08:50:20 am »
I have.  I found it mildly entertaining and insightful, albeit childishly written.  If you feel drawn to the anarcho-primitivist worldview advocated by folks like John Zerzan, Derrick Jensen and Daniel Quinn, you might find it amusing. 

Urban Scout (the author) has his own website (http://www.urbanscout.org) and his own message board (http://www.rewild.info).  He also contributes to Derrick Jensen's forum (find it through http://www.derrickjensen.org).  I know at least a couple other folks who regularly contribute here are members of Derrick's forum.

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
« Reply #186 on: May 18, 2011, 04:28:19 pm »
How much would it cost to live in a cabin/etc in the woods, or to build your own in the woods? There's this guy living in the wild paleo in the woods: http://goingferal.wordpress.com/  He truly gave me hope again and inspired me. Something I always wanted to do.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #187 on: May 19, 2011, 12:32:34 am »
Courtesy of Jessica....

http://zerocurrency.blogspot.com/

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 14, 2013, 08:49:42 pm »
Hey I'm moving on Thursday up North in the UK to practise some teamwork and wildy-living skills with a group for a few weeks and then I'm going off to mainland Europe to live in the woods so I'll hardly be on after Thursday and then I won't be on at all after that, for a while at least.

Maybe I'll get on here after a while and report some of my experiences. Who knows maybe someone will want to join my group.

How was it?
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 15, 2013, 02:00:23 am »
That's an idea....

It might be a cool. We have a few 20 something year old guys, my self included who really want to go out into the wild and live off the land for a while.

I was thinking canada or alaska at summer or perhaps try to join an indigenous tribe somewhere, africa, australia.. Although that might prove difficult

So far I'm thinking Sully, me, Miles, Hannibal, YonYonson or something who are all similar age and find this interesting.

I know for a fact that me, Sully and I think Hannibal are in pretty great shape, so hunting is definitely possible.

I'm also studying filmmaking, so I could document the process and make a documentary. Could be fun.

I'm serious guys,  You'd have SOMETHING if you did film it, well, it would have to be a good production, but then it could be a pilot to show for a more professional shoot....   You guys should do it.  Have you seen into the wild?  and then there's that brit that jumps out of planes and does BBC show depicting just what you're talking about, surviving in the wild.  but a group of you could have more emotional or humanistic appeal.   think about it, before someone else does it.

Offline Bacchal

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 23, 2013, 08:14:17 am »
I have.  I found it mildly entertaining and insightful, albeit childishly written.  If you feel drawn to the anarcho-primitivist worldview advocated by folks like John Zerzan, Derrick Jensen and Daniel Quinn, you might find it amusing. 

Daniel Quinn has never advocated any sort of black and white, either-or worldview like anarcho-primitivism in anything I've read by him. He has repeatedly stressed that the problem of civilization is its inhabitants living only one way rather than the wrong way and encourages a breaking up of that monoculture.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk