Author Topic: Quote of the Day(inspired by SD's post)  (Read 140303 times)

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Quote of the Day(inspired by SD's post)
« Reply #150 on: May 13, 2011, 07:53:48 pm »
"A living complex is necessarily subservient to laws of balance, selection, rejection, preference, and exchange. The need to survive at the expense of the outside world requires an economic scenario, even on the level of microscopic entities. It is, therefore, hardly surprising, that the very same laws of economy apply whether one is dealing with a country, an individual, or a simple cell."  GCB
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 13, 2011, 09:43:49 pm »
"A happy man is too satisfied with the present to dwell too much on the future."

A. Einstein

BAWWWWW..... This is way too true... :( :( :(
All I want is the truth... Just gimme some truth.
"I wanna be the minority."

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 14, 2011, 06:13:55 am »
Yes, there's a tribe in the Amazon that has no concept of long-term future or past. Moderners call them the Pirahã (they call themselves the Hi'aiti'ihi, which translates to "the straight ones" and is quite similar to the most common name that indigenous peoples have for themselves--"the real people"). They have no history or myths (including no creation story) and no plans and they live almost totally in the present (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXegoZrxcVk). They are reportedly very happy people. That's not surprising given that several religions and many self help gurus teach that part of the secret of happiness is living as much as feasible in the present. These are a people who always live in the present. One Christian missionary, Daniel Everett, realized that the Pirahã already possessed the happiness and tranquility that he told them Jesus could give them. He was so impressed by that and certain fascinating, incisive things that they said which innocently challenged his beliefs that he gave up his faith and as a result lost his family, as his missionary wife would not accept a nonChristian husband.

I saw one of the Pirahã interviewed and he did appear very happy--smiling and chuckling quite a bit. Even more so than the traditional Bushmen I've seen interviewed, who also seem to smile and chuckle a good deal (not so much the ones in cramped reservation villages, from the little I've seen).

"They're the ultimate empiricists." --Daniel Everett on the Pirahã
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 12:47:34 pm by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 14, 2011, 12:07:09 pm »
Wow Thanks Phil, They have it figured out. Appreciate the link. You have restored my faith.
Cheers
Al

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 15, 2011, 08:39:50 pm »
You're welcome raw-al.

"The way you walked was thorny through no fault of your own, but as the rain enters the soil, the river enters the sea, so tears run to a predestined end. Your suffering is over. Now you will find peace for eternity." --Maleva in The Wolf Man, 1941
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 11:45:24 pm by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 16, 2011, 05:26:15 pm »

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 17, 2011, 04:37:11 am »
@chillezzz   Nice man!
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 02, 2011, 04:22:29 pm »
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training… What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” – Socrates

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 02, 2011, 04:48:58 pm »
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training… What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” – Socrates
;D ;D Wise man! didn't he also say: "let food be your medicine"

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 02, 2011, 05:05:09 pm »
"I have sometimes amused myself by endeavoring to fancy what would be the fate of any individual gifted, or rather accursed, with an intellect very far superior to that of his race. Of course, he would not be conscious of his superiority nor could he help manifesting his consciousness.

Thus, he would make himself enemies at all points. And since his opinions and speculations would likely differ from those of all mankind that he would be considered a madman is evident.

How horribly painful such a condition! Hell could invent no greater torture than that of being charged with abnormal weakness on account of being abnormally strong."

the hunting of the slan
Edgar Allan Poe

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 02, 2011, 10:30:20 pm »
;D ;D Wise man! didn't he also say: "let food be your medicine"
"Let food be thy medicine"
"Extreme remedies are very appropriate for extreme diseases."
"It is more important to know what sort of person has a disease than to know what sort of disease a person has."
"Make a habit of two things: to help; or at least to do no harm."
"Many admire, few know"
"Walking is man's best medicine"
-Hippocrates

Googled the quotes, not sure of authenticity.

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 02, 2011, 11:10:55 pm »
"I have sometimes amused myself by endeavoring to fancy what would be the fate of any individual gifted, or rather accursed, with an intellect very far superior to that of his race. Of course, he would not be conscious of his superiority nor could he help manifesting his consciousness.

Thus, he would make himself enemies at all points. And since his opinions and speculations would likely differ from those of all mankind that he would be considered a madman is evident.

How horribly painful such a condition! Hell could invent no greater torture than that of being charged with abnormal weakness on account of being abnormally strong."

the hunting of the slan
Edgar Allan Poe

huge like

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 05, 2011, 05:07:28 pm »
"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness. "
-Dean Karnazes

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 06, 2011, 11:37:48 am »
Aye, short term comfort leads to long term distress.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 06, 2011, 11:05:58 pm »
"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness. "
-Dean Karnazes
Very good
Cheers
Al

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 01, 2011, 01:23:33 am »
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. - Mark Twain

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 30, 2011, 09:05:35 am »
People are actually hoping and striving for their damnation:

<<People have often commented, 'where are all the humans', well in this abstract interpretation, the robots and machine like beings are us, it's what we have evolved to become, bringing mechanics into our organic structure.

This might seem radical, but I think it's how we are destined to be. The future is always filled with stories of 'robots controlling mankind', but [in fact] mankind [will] itself become robotic.
>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8EWbJ0w68U

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 08, 2011, 06:39:56 am »
"If you only have the milk of three yaks, don't live like you have the milk of four." -Genghis Kahn (Chenggis Haan)

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 08, 2011, 11:16:56 am »
People are actually hoping and striving for their damnation:

I don't think it has to be damnation.  Of course, I'm not an early adopter of new technology.  I'd rather other people use it first, and work out all the bugs.  I assume that my strategy will continue to work well into the times when people are getting various mechanical implants of many types.

Think about it--landline phones were new and untested 120 years ago.  There were probably people calling them damnation, etc. back then.  Would you really include them under the umbrella of "damnation" now?  I'm not saying that they were not, in some way, damnation.  I'm just saying that the kinks have been worked out, and now it's a trustworthy, reliable technology, and it's actually going away soon, because it's mostly outmoded.  Isn't it kind of hard for something outmoded to be "damnation"?  And won't the various implants of the future, at some point, become outmoded?  Would they, at that point, still be "damnation", to the people of that time?

Seriously, do you really think that technology brings only misery?  I agree that it brings some misery...but, when the kinks get worked out, it can be a wonderful thing.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 08, 2011, 11:34:22 am »
I'll don't wish to be impolite but I probably should not respond here, as this thread is for quotes rather than debate. I only added my commentary to the quote above because I didn't want people to think that I agreed with the idea of humans striving to become robots as being a utopian ideal.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 14, 2011, 02:27:08 am »
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt
should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered
and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed,
lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead
of living on public assistance."

- Cicero , 55 BC
Cheers
Al

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 14, 2011, 06:10:52 am »

- Cicero , 55 BC

MY MIND = BLOWN!
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #172 on: August 14, 2011, 06:29:10 am »

- Cicero , 55 BC

History repeats itself....
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 14, 2011, 11:10:51 pm »
That Cicero quote seemed too modern to have been from Roman times and the talk of "assistance to foreign lands" seemed out of place, since the Romans believed that plundering foreign lands was perfectly OK, as did most or all governments in that time, and plundering Gallic gold was how Julius Caesar refilled the treasury in that era (as recounted in Terry Jones' Barbarians), not via cutting off "assistance to foreign lands."

So I Googled it and quickly found this:

In a letter to The Chicago Tribune (20 April 1971), John H. Collins, Professor of History at Northern Illinois University, reported that the following attribution to Cicero,

Quote:
The budget should be balanced, the treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. The mobs should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence.

actually originated in A Pillar of Iron (1965), Taylor Caldwell's fictionalized account of the life of the senator. (In fact, Collins noted that it was on page 483 of the edition he had in hand.) http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=28532

The Internet is full of such misattributions, so be wary of quotes provided on the Internet without original sources. It is particularly common for people to attribute all sorts of quotes to famous oraters, thinkers, and religious and political leaders like Cicero, Confucious, Arthur Schopenhauer, Mohandis Gandhi, Shakespeare and others that they never said, so be especially wary when quotes are attributed to people that are often cited, or to famous works like the Bible.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 11:25:47 pm by PaleoPhil »

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 14, 2011, 11:21:16 pm »
"We must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our election between economy and liberty or profusion and servitude." -Thomas Jefferson

Jefferson (d.1826) wrote many great anti-government debt quotations... yes, the same Thomas Jefferson who, in his personal life, was notorious for excessive spending and died deep in debt.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk