Author Topic: Quote of the Day(inspired by SD's post)  (Read 140295 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: Quote of the Day(inspired by SD's post)
« Reply #200 on: March 11, 2012, 09:47:11 am »
“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts”-Richard Feynman
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 12, 2012, 09:25:26 pm »
“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts”-Richard Feynman
Hehe

“If you have a problem that you cannot solve, seek out the most highly recognized expert in that field and carefully listen to his suggested solution, and then do exactly the opposite. And while this will not always solve your problem it will, at least, save you some time; will save the time that you might have wasted trying his suggestions, which will almost invariably be wrong.”
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #202 on: March 21, 2012, 11:43:35 pm »
"The meek shall inherit the earth, the bold shall inherit the stars ". No idea who came up with this quotation.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 04:35:31 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 30, 2012, 08:56:50 am »
"The meek shall inherit the earth the bold shall inherit the stars ". No idea who came up with this quotation.
That's a fact.
Cheers
Al

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 30, 2012, 01:59:48 pm »
”Life is not, as they say, just one damned thing after another, instead, it is the same damned things over and over.”  W.C. Fields

@PP
George Carlin is awesome!
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 25, 2012, 02:34:48 am »
'There ain't no such thing as a sanity claus'

Groucho Marx
Cheers
Al

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 27, 2012, 08:46:09 am »
"If you aren’t eating liver and/or egg yolks, you’re going to be deficient in choline. Other sources, except for maybe beef cube steak , pale in comparison." ~ Mark Sisson

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 02, 2012, 03:28:56 am »
Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine.

George Carlin
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 02, 2012, 03:31:10 am »
I wanted to change the world, but
I found that the only thing one can be sure of changing is oneself

Aldous Huxley
Cheers
Al

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 03, 2012, 07:42:40 am »
I'm not saying that I agree with this or not - it's just that Personman posted this today and I thought it just had to be copied and pasted as the "big mouthful" of the day on the board somewhere:

"The concept of a lucifer, a man-god type superman(ubermensch) is all well and good so long as it doesn't lead to a neo-feudalism that throws the orbit of the social world into chaos and famine and nuclear holocaust so the superclass can take over from the ashes...."

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #211 on: May 03, 2012, 12:17:18 pm »

"The concept of a lucifer, a man-god type superman(ubermensch) is all well and good so long as it doesn't lead to a neo-feudalism that throws the orbit of the social world into chaos and famine and nuclear holocaust so the superclass can take over from the ashes...."
Personally, I always loved all those SF stories in which a new breed of mutants would rise up out of the ashes of a nuclear fire  - I even liked those future war scenes in the Terminator movies - but then I'm a hopeless romantic:-
The Terminator: James Cameron's Future War

Philip K Dick in a side-note to his story "The Golden Man", suggested that mutants would exterminate us in the end. The irony is that that very SF story had the humans trying to exterminate the mutants rather than the other way round, with the ultimate super-mutant not needing to wipe out the humans since he has 2 abilities that make him immune to such extermination efforts, the ability to predict the future and the ability to seduce any human woman with ease. That's the sad truth, that the mindless Mafia of the Mediocre among humanity are terrified of the notion of something better than them coming along.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 12:45:03 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 03, 2012, 04:36:25 pm »

Somebody said that it couldn't be done,
  But he with a chuckle replied
That "maybe it couldn't," but he would be one
  Who wouldn't say so till he'd tried.
So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin
  On his face.  If he worried he hid it.
He started to sing as he tackled the thing
  That couldn't be done, and he did it.

Somebody scoffed: "Oh, you'll never do that;
  At least no one ever has done it";
But he took off his coat and he took off his hat,
  And the first thing we knew he'd begun it.
With a lift of his chin and a bit of a grin,
  Without any doubting or quiddit,
He started to sing as he tackled the thing
  That couldn't be done, and he did it.

There are thousands to tell you it cannot be done,
  There are thousands to prophesy failure;
There are thousands to point out to you, one by one,
  The dangers that wait to assail you.
But just buckle in with a bit of a grin,
  Just take off your coat and go to it;
Just start to sing as you tackle the thing
  That "cannot be done," and you'll do it.

Edgar Guest
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #213 on: May 08, 2012, 01:50:47 am »
"If you spend enough time around alternative health, the Conspiracy-Theory Community, etc., you'll start to realize that ALL of the gurus are either lying or dead wrong about at least some things.  Some gurus are lying about almost everything.  Some have it nearly ALL correct. None of them has the whole truth, though. " Cherimoya-Kid

The above is something I've been trying to tell people for many years, the notion that since it is impossible for a human being to be 100% perfect, that therefore one must borrow ideas from several different gurus and also borrow from one's own experience. My own health-recovery only occurred after I stopped believing in gurus and started altering their various prescriptions and experimenting on my own. One size does not fit all.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 08, 2012, 05:32:50 am »
Amen to that.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 08, 2012, 05:42:54 am »
The thing about alternative medicine is that it is so loosey - goosey, and at the risk of sounding conspiracy theorish, modern allopathy is pretty darned loosey - goosey.

As you say none of them have it dead on (NPI) because............ none of them make money off of you if you are not sick.

Problem with alternative medicine people is they don't band together and form a union like their Allopathic brothers have had going since the 1850s with the AMA American Medical Association.

They make little associations but they don't band together and make one 'big bejeesely one' to put Allopathy in it's place.

Doctors and big Pharma work very hard to prevent this from occurring and thus sites like QuackWatch continue the constant battle of calling everyone and everything else 'Quacks'.
Cheers
Al

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 08, 2012, 10:49:04 am »
Maybe a decade ago or so I read a statistic that 75% of Americans had used "alternative" medicine. How many people do  you know who have never tried an herb, gone to a chiropractor or acupuncturist, taken a supplement etc.

Big Pharma must hate that.

Just like the Big Milk dudes shake when a raw dairy is really successful and work to shut it down - based on nothing at all so will Big Pharma will close down as many of it's competitors as it can and because they already have an immense power and financial structure in place any new conglomerate of alternative practitioners would be a massive target. The professional of "naturopath" is no longer going to be according to my neighbor who has been studying to be one for years. They are going after that one - partly because it was such a direct competitor to MD and a well-accepted and rapidly growing profession. She won't legally be able to call herself a naturopath.

Alternative therapies are more like an underground movement in the face of an autocracy.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 08, 2012, 11:42:15 am »
The difficulty with it all has multiple parts:

1. Some alternative therapies are pretty much useless. Some are actually dangerous.  Some are life-saving.  Almost nobody is truly an expert on all of them. So you end up having to do your own research, which generally takes a lot of time and energy.

2. Plenty of allopathic treatments work, but have unpleasant side effects. Also, spending time in hospitals is a good way to pick up a dangerous infection, and/or slow your healing process by eating hospital food.

3. There are plenty of people on both sides of the debate acting partially or entirely out of the profit motive.  Therefore, their motivation to tell the whole truth is minimal.

And nobody tells you this stuff.  It's a damn hassle having to figure it all out.

Yay, America.  Land of the Free.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 08, 2012, 08:26:59 pm »
The difficulty with it all has multiple parts:

1. Some alternative therapies are pretty much useless. Some are actually dangerous.  Some are life-saving.  Almost nobody is truly an expert on all of them. So you end up having to do your own research, which generally takes a lot of time and energy.

2. Plenty of allopathic treatments work, but have unpleasant side effects. Also, spending time in hospitals is a good way to pick up a dangerous infection, and/or slow your healing process by eating hospital food.

3. There are plenty of people on both sides of the debate acting partially or entirely out of the profit motive.  Therefore, their motivation to tell the whole truth is minimal.

And nobody tells you this stuff.  It's a damn hassle having to figure it all out.

Yay, America.  Land of the Free.
Cherimoya_kid,
You have given no information whatsoever except your opinion which is overgeneralized, basically silly.

I know lots of people who have been cured by various alternative therapies. I also know way too many people who have died or been incapacitated by Allopathic methods. Both sides of the fence (and there is definitely a fence) are loosey-goosey as I said.

Deaths resulting from overmedication, errors in prescriptions, invasive testing procedures, surgeries, and hospitalizations (for instance, someone catches an infection while being hospitalized, and dies) are commonplace.

There was a study done in US hospitals in 1998, published in the JAMA indicates that over 100,000 Americans die from harmful reactions to medications. The deaths are not due to mistakes by doctors in prescribing drugs or by patients in using them. Rather, drug reactions occur because virtually all medications can have bad side effects in some people, even when taken in proper doses.

"We want to increase awareness that drugs have a toxic component" said Dr. Bruce Pomeranz, an author of the study and a professor of neuroscience at the University of Toronto. "It's not rare".

'Harrison's Principles Of Internal Medicine' mentions that a more severe "side" effect from drug-induced diseases - death - "in hospitalised patients varies from 2% to 12%" Note that each hospitalized person is given an average of 10 different drugs.

Mistakes in dosage may also contribute to drug iatogenesis. Null and colleagues cite a 2002 study showing that "20%" of hospital medications for patients had dosage mistakes. Nearly 40% of these errors were considered potentially harmful to the patient. In a typical 300-patient hospital the number per day were 40.

Simply put, the fourth leading cause of death in America, after cancer, heart disease and stroke, is reactions to "safe" over-the-counter drugs and "properly" prescribed prescription medicine.

Hospital infections - 1986 Colbin reported "the most rapidly spreading epidemic of the 20th century" citing "over 2 million infections a year" in American hospitals, that resulted in "60 to 80 thousand deaths". Data analyzed on July 23, 2002 by the Chicago Tribune from patient databases, court cases, 5810 hospitals and 75 federal and state agencies, found "103,000 cases of death due to hospital infections, 75% of which were preventable.
Colbin writes that an "estimated 2.5 million operations a year are performed without real medical need, resulting in some 12 thousand needless deaths" Statistics complied by Null and associates give comparative numbers 25 years apart for unnecessary surgeries.
- 1974: 2.4 million unnecessary surgeries performed annually resulting in 11,900 deaths.
- 2001: 7.5 million unnecessary surgical procedures resulting in 37,136 deaths.

Null et al. wrote "the total number of [yearly] iatrogenic deaths--- is 783,936. The conditions involved, - all occurring in hospitals, include adverse drug reactions, medical error (unspecified), bedsores, infection, malnutrition, useless procedures, and surgery related.

"We could have an even higher death rate by using [another statistician's differently calculated] 1997 medical and drug error rate of 3 million." The authors conclude, "it is evident that the American medical system is the leading cause of death and injury in the United States"

A lot of what was mentioned here is quoted from Dr. Nenah Sylver,  PhD's book "The Rife Handbook of Frequency Therapy and Holistic Health"   There was quotes embedded from studies done and article(s) from JAMA.

I highly recommend her book as it is one of the better of the many that exposes the soft underbelly of the AMA and medical practice in general in the US and various other countries. She gives an excellent history of how medicine evolved from ancient times in the east and west. Also she explains the evolution of the American Medical Association (AMA) 'union' (my addition to the title)

I have to guess that it must be worse in Europe as it is much easier to get into medical schools there. Some of my friends/relatives have gotten into medical schools there who could not get into Canadian medicals schools.

You have to go to third world countries (such as where GS lives) to get certain medical treatments because the FDA and FDA inspired allopathic medical community has managed to shut down their competitors.

Very few allopathic medical treatments work. They set you up for addictions generally.

The trouble is that the allopathic medical union has a lip-lock on government regulations so nobody else can regulate anything.

If you want to understand the state of health care in the US you have to study how it got to be the way it is. This requires reading history books.

I was blown away by reading a book written by an American surgeon, that told of how the WHO contacted him to study why so many people died from surgery in the world. The numbers were stunning, in first world countries. These ego-maniac surgeons were so conceited, arrogant and stupid that they refused even the simplest thing to be used by surgeons. A checklist. As a pilot this blew me away. These clowns refuse(d) to use a checklist to verify prior to during and post operations that things were/are being done correctly.

Basically these clowns (all doctors) get out of medical school and they have a Carte Blanche for the rest of their lives to work with no further testing or recertification.

Geezus even a welder has to be recertified periodically. Pilots annually.

Reminds me of a saying we learned at school, practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanent.

As the cop used to say on that TV show so long ago...
"Just the facts Ma'am ('cherimoya_kid', Tyler),
just the facts"
Cheers
Al

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 09, 2012, 12:58:04 pm »
“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny. Thomas Jefferson.

We don't need gurus we need Sheppard's to guide the uninitiated through the early phases of debunking all that is incorrect in both the alternative and establishment medicine. Certainly there is much that we can agree on when it comes to exposing quackery on all sides of all issues.

Still what is one to do when in possession of such knowledge, and are experienced in transformative healing? Why shouldn't that person lead the charge to shine a light on the truths that we can agree upon. So what if they would be totally ignored by the mainstream like Bechamp or Jean-Baptiste Lamarck had been in their time, still I say nothing can stop an idea whose time has come. The Raw Paleo diet is a legitimate answer to many of the problems that cant be solved by traditional or alternative medicine.

Now is the time to overturn the established view of what makes for good health and good lives. Who among us has what it takes to take human understanding to the next level? Who will be a good Shepard?

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 09, 2012, 10:33:21 pm »
Wise words ST.
Reality is when we are young we tend to waste our health. Women waste it on trying to appear beautiful, men on trying to be heroes. (Generally)

Then we get older and start to feel the pain of our earlier decisions. That is when the journey begins. Some find the cures for their ills early some never look.

If a Doctor of whatever flavour is asked by people to pull them back from the brink (self-created) and he is a good person he will do his best. If his methods are not appropriate then the person suffers, but is that the Doctor's fault ??? The Doctor did not make them sick in the first place. It is buyer beware.

I see lots of people lining up for Allopathic care. That is their choice. None of my business. I also see people lining up to buy cheap foods, junk foods, cool foods, food fads, restaurants, whatever, that is their choice. I say enjoy yourself.

One day they will see the lack of wisdom and maybe do something about it.

But whatever they decide is their business. The problem I have is when people do what Thomas Jefferson complains about in your post Sabertooth.

Basically a group of crooks in the medical and food business have gotten themselves in charge of our food/medicine supply
Cheers
Al

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 11, 2012, 09:59:58 am »
I am all about maintaining the freedom of choice which includes the free expression of information. There were always quacks and shysters throughout history but if one was wise and well in tune with their own basic needs then they at least (generally speaking) have the capability of making healthy choices.

Nowadays the information is so highly suspect and there is a huge federal bureaucracy in control of food and drug administration. There is less and less room for individual choice. Most people are forced to choose food from a store shelf. Food that's origin is often a complete mystery. Just as they are forced to chose medical care from an establishment that is has questionable conflicts of interest.

The Food and Medical establishment poses as the good shepard and those among their ranks truly believe that they are protecting the peoples best interest. The problem is that you cant save people from their own ignorance. When you try you only enable more ignorance.

People must have the right to do the wrong thing. It's how we learn. The problem with the current situation is that individuals no longer are capable of correcting the imbalances within their own environment, because they have no personal responsibility for it. In Jefferson's day, you could get organic foods and eat them in whatever variety or preparation you could fashion. People could thrive or fail due to their own decisions, that's the price of freedom.

But in today's world you have a secretive group making very reckless decisions on how much pesticide is allowable in our foods. What chemical fertilizers are deemed safe. Lets GMO everything. The grain heavy food pyramid. I could go on all day about the stupidity inherent in the medical establishments recommendations.  These decisions are far too controversial and insane for anyone to be able to make with a clean conscience, and yet these are the decisions that have been made for the majority of those in our modern world, by the ones Thomas Jefferson warned us against.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 11, 2012, 10:48:42 am »
"Choose a bride with thick legs, she will make you happy." - ancient wisdom from the Great Khan, Ghenghis (Chinggis Khaan), per the movie, "Mongol."

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 11, 2012, 08:33:59 pm »
"Choose a bride with thick legs, she will make you happy." - ancient wisdom from the Great Khan, Ghenghis (Chinggis Khaan), per the movie, "Mongol."
Sturdy legs

BTW I tried that. Maybe it made him happy but it didn't make me 'appy. : )
Cheers
Al

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 12, 2012, 02:01:51 am »
Hey Al - I guess the quote would be better as:

Choose a bride with thick legs (but not a thick skull), and she will make you happy.

hee hee

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk