Author Topic: A lil' update.  (Read 23827 times)

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: A lil' update.
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2010, 08:53:17 pm »
But leanness doesn't defnitely exclude having fat. I DO HAVE the adipose tissue, probably over 10 pounds.

You don't look too thin, in my perception, and ten pounds sounds good.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2010, 09:01:07 pm »
He is 94 years old.

He said it in the video.  I'm not sure why 96 came in.

While a 60 or maybe even a 70 year old man might miraculously still retain all his original hair-colour, any one older is bound to be grey-haired, mostly or wholly.

Ann Wigmore's hair was brown in her early eighties, I never saw roots (although she might have been putting wheat grass on for conditioner), we did speak up close regularly, and I had excellent vision especially for near.  I think Jack's hair looks dyed too though.  It's not just food that helps keep one young and alive anyway.  He looks pretty good.  I still wouldn't believe what he eats unless I see it myself.  We all know he juices, and that's raw low fiber.

"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2010, 09:35:13 pm »
Yes, you can eat sweet potatoes raw, and they are good, but if you buy a bad batch they may be bleh.

I don't get much energy from raw sweet potatoes, in fact they slow me down. And according to my food book here, they have trypsin inhibitors and other stuff, raw.

He said it in the video.  I'm not sure why 96 came in.

Ann Wigmore's hair was brown in her early eighties, I never saw roots (although she might have been putting wheat grass on for conditioner), we did speak up close regularly, and I had excellent vision especially for near.  I think Jack's hair looks dyed too though.  It's not just food that helps keep one young and alive anyway.  He looks pretty good.  I still wouldn't believe what he eats unless I see it myself.  We all know he juices, and that's raw low fiber.

That video is 2 years old. And yeah, good point. Ann Wigmore had dark haired color thanks to juicing.

I had to laugh when Jack Lalanne was mentioned. In that video, he certainly looks a pale, sickly shadow compared to certain, clearly photoshopped images I've seen of him of him elsewhere online. And " natural hair-colour at 96"?!  -v l) l) l)  Yeah, right  l)  Well, if anything, it does show what botox and other plastic surgery can do for you, if you've got the cash.

Well, he says his hair color is natural in his books and in fact it looks natural to me. He has never done botox. He's had a firm stance against plastic surgery since it began. He's done facial exercises for dozens of years to keep his face like it is.

As usual, the great Tyler, oh so very very smart and everyone else are idiots. :>
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 09:43:30 pm by ForTheHunt »
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2010, 11:35:36 pm »
Here's a little info re Jack Lalanne and his open-heart surgery, not  exactly a sign of health:-

http://www.aolhealth.com/condition-center/heart-disease/jack-lalanne-open-heart-surgery

Well, it is reasonably certain that he dyes his hair, given that there is some vague mention online re his dyed  hair. It seems pretty unlikely that he would retain hair-colour right up to 96.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2010, 11:48:46 pm »
Could you eat the tubers raw? or would that just be gross and unhealthy?

most roots can be consumed raw, but the issue is complex because it weighs 'toxicity' with a certain kind of efficiency of processing. As a general rule, I wouldn't want to be consuming more than small amounts of raw starch based on what my stomach tells me alone in addition to science. If my goal was to be 100% raw and avoid all forms of cooking, I might eat some raw starch for variety of minerals and nutrients, but I doubt it would ever be beneficial as a major food source. In practical terms, even considering toxicity, if two people were forced to live off a very large quantity of starch, the person cooking would fare better even considering harmful biproducts of cooking (of which I personally believe is less in such foods than most others). In the context of weight gain or just merely having a large supplemental calorie source to raw meat (as opposed to say raw fruits or fats or plant fats) it by far would compare poorly to cooked.

I've looked into fermentation of root vegetables, and other than some similarly small shavings of carrot/beet etc in kim-chis, most fermentation I have seen practiced with whole yams and such has also involved cooking!? You can look into just cutting them open and letting them rot, but I still seriously doubt you could uptake alot of food comfortably this way either.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2010, 11:50:59 pm »
IMO that doesn't really matter, because there are plethora of bald men who are much healthier and who live longer than those who have got hair. The same is with the colour of hair.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2010, 12:24:19 am »
most roots can be consumed raw, but the issue is complex because it weighs 'toxicity' with a certain kind of efficiency of processing.
There was a discussion on the paleofood list where it was suggested that most tubers needed to be cooked in order to be edible - otherwise antinutrient-levels would rise, causing long-term problems. I know Wrangham used the issue of tubers in the human diet to support his bizarre claim that cooking must have occurred much earlier.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2010, 12:41:07 am »
Here's a little info re Jack Lalanne and his open-heart surgery, not  exactly a sign of health:-

http://www.aolhealth.com/condition-center/heart-disease/jack-lalanne-open-heart-surgery

Well, it is reasonably certain that he dyes his hair, given that there is some vague mention online re his dyed  hair. It seems pretty unlikely that he would retain hair-colour right up to 96.

Most often heart valve surgery is had at age 60 and the healthier you are, the later you have to have it done. And it's usually due to a common birth defect.

Reasonably certain? That's your opinion. Vague mentions? That's a lie. I googled the shit out of it and found it nowhere. Provide a reference before you make such a claim.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 12:46:23 am by ForTheHunt »
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2010, 12:52:32 am »
Yuli is pretty thin at her height.  Being that thin is probably vata constitution (extremist).  Vata is the constitution of very old people....

Lol, I may be closer to Vata in my constitution, but nothing like an old person  ;) besides I never look extremely thin or feeble in any way, I agree anything in extreme - either fat or too thin, is not good at all - I am hyper usually but have periods of extreme calmness, I also retain ability to exercise and have endurance even when I don't train, and am fairly resistant to illness, which I believe are good trait to have. I am also extremely flexible and believe I have very 'rubber-like' bones, as I meantioned there were times I should have broken a bone but I haven't. My mom is very petite woman but had no problems having me, I have been pregnant few times and easily get pregnant, also my period never stopped or diminished with my low weight - a sign a woman is too thin could be if her periods are affected by it. I don't think I'll have any issues having a baby - like my mom. Its mostly just genetics, my dad is tall and lean (but very strong guy, big arms and chest - thin everywhere else) and my mom is a petite woman, so its no surprise as their kid I am petite. I think thats all there is too it really.

Yes I do try and gain a few pounds in the winter but its common sense, if your thin and healthy its normal to fluctuate your weight with seasons, many wild animals will do that too, and purposely pig out before winter. Cooked starches are my way of speeding up the weight gain process and making it a no-brainer, and even then I just get a extra 6-8 pounds and then I am satisfied for the winter - its never a drastic change. In the spring I quickly revert myself to being slightly thinner because that what feels good for me physically.

I do notice though that some warm and cooked foods make me feel very good especially in the winter, and I believe many "Vata's" have the same experience, this is the reason why I still eat them. If people think we have absolutely had NO time to adapt to cooked foods think again, some of us do very well with inclusion of the right cooked foods as long as they are not neolithic - and just handle things better with inclusion of some warm cooked foods in their diet. Although I of course can and will eat much of it raw anyways. But being tall and lean, a pot of hot, spicy all-meat chili or baked potatoes with butter is sometimes pure bliss (and not just cause of opiods, it literally fills me with energy and warmth), for people of other constitution I can imagine how they would not do well with any of these cooked items.
I can say I am definitely more raw in the summer and more cooked in the winter, and there is no mystery as to why.

I don't get much energy from raw sweet potatoes, in fact they slow me down. And according to my food book here, they have trypsin inhibitors and other stuff, raw.

I only eat them raw as snacks but yeah, when cooked potatoes (both sweet and white) become very digestible and energy giving - thin people may benefit from them during certain times thats for sure. If I am having a meal of starch its cooked, except the sweet root radishes those actually ARE excellent raw. Sometimes I make a potato salad of cooked white potato and raw greens, the both together cause no issue. Some cooked starches are also a great "fat delivery vehicle" when you eat them with fat. Also I find that spicy foods benefit me, some people do very badly with spicy foods, I do well with them, its all about finding the foods that are good for you, who cares about what others can eat or can't.

I don't now much about Jack but how about comparing him to a 94 year old who eats raw paleo? Before delving too much about his looks, cmon hes 94 man, he looks fine and if he dyes his hair so what. Its not a big deal getting gray hair - much of it is genetic.

...if two people were forced to live off a very large quantity of starch, the person cooking would fare better even considering harmful biproducts of cooking (of which I personally believe is less in such foods than most others). In the context of weight gain or just merely having a large supplemental calorie source to raw meat (as opposed to say raw fruits or fats or plant fats) it by far would compare poorly to cooked. ...

For sure, it would be like night and day. Personally eating many raw fruits in winter (anything more them one small one a day, preferably zero though) makes me feel disgusting, but cooked starches and roots make me feel nice. In summer I will go ahead and replace nearly all these back with seasonal fruits, which produce the right cooling effect for the summer.

...I know Wrangham used the issue of tubers in the human diet to support his bizarre claim that cooking must have occurred much earlier.

Its not so bizarre an idea, we have had plenty of time to at least form some adaptation to eat cooked potatoes and roots, its was done early enough lets say. As soon as fire was discovered so was cooking, thats a lot of time for us to adapt given how quickly humans can adapt to their environments and different diets. Its when we start cooking everything and then adding and cooking neolithic foods that causes trouble. Some things we will just never fully adapt to, some things we will.
Remember what may make you feel like death, may be life giving to a person of different constitution.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2010, 01:19:23 am »
Also talking about Vatas...some demanding physical sports even favor this type.
Two that pop in my mind right away are marathoners (think persistence hunting), and flexibility gymnastics (think...erm...ninjas and tree dwellers  :o ) - people excelling in that are usually quite thin, yet try to do what they do with any ease.
All physical compositions can be necessary at one time or other - another way nature helped us have a way of always surviving as a species lol

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
  • Eating the best realistic diet
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2010, 01:23:38 am »
IMO that doesn't really matter, because there are plethora of bald men who are much healthier and who live longer than those who have got hair. The same is with the colour of hair.

Yeah,I mean Ronald Reagan had the best hair I've ever seen.And how was his health? l)

I'd be willing to bet that Jack dyes his hair.Fake orange color is a dead give away ;) But,at least the hair is real.
"Eat the best of what's available and call it a day"

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2010, 01:29:24 am »
I do notice though that some warm and cooked foods make me feel very good especially in the winter (...)
I can say I am definitely more raw in the summer and more cooked in the winter, and there is no mystery as to why.
The same is with my Polish friend, but he doesn't eat any starchy foods like potatoes. He cooks more meat in winter and eats more raw ones in summer. 
In my case I realized that I can eat very cold muscle-meats, organ-meats straight from the fridge even in winter.  ;D
Fruits like all sorts of berries, grapes, apples I do prefer when they are colder
Look at the Nenets - they even eat frozen fish and meats when the temperature is -50 degrees C.
Personally eating many raw fruits in winter (anything more them one small one a day, preferably zero though) makes me feel disgusting, but cooked starches and roots make me feel nice. In summer I will go ahead and replace nearly all these back with seasonal fruits, which produce the right cooling effect for the summer.
I eat fruits every day in winter and haven't got any problems. And honey from time to time - acacia one is really warming.
Its not so bizarre an idea, we have had plenty of time to at least form some adaptation to eat cooked potatoes and roots, its was done early enough lets say. As soon as fire was discovered so was cooking, thats a lot of time for us to adapt given how quickly humans can adapt to their environments and different diets. Its when we start cooking everything and then adding and cooking neolithic foods that causes trouble. Some things we will just never fully adapt to, some things we will.
Adaptation doesn't necessarily mean that cooked starches are healthy. One could be adapted to digest them well, but in the long term could have some health problems because of them.
When it comes to fire it had been used mainly to warm people in cold environment, not to cook. Cooking was introduced much more later.

Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2010, 01:44:30 am »

Remember what may make you feel like death, may be life giving to a person of different constitution.
  You are mistaken. Cooking was only started around 250,000 years ago, with fire being invented a couple of hundred thousand years earlier or so. That is the main concensus among palaeoanthropologists - the wrangham claims re cooking being invented millions of years ago  have no solid evidence to back them, and he admits as much in 1 interview. Plus, length of time does not remotely guarantee adaptation to any foods - PaleoPhil, a while back, made reference to the fact that pandas have been eating bamboo for millions of years yet still have not adapted to bamboo properly, given their carnivorous digestive systems etc. So no guarantee exists whatsoever that humans could have adapted to cooked foods ; worse still, cooked foods are not just merely a different type of raw food, so, logically, it would take far longer(if ever) to adapt to unnatural cooked foods than for a wild animal to , say, switch from a raw, natural herbivorous diet to a raw, natural carnivorous one.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2010, 01:48:32 am »
Most often heart valve surgery is had at age 60 and the healthier you are, the later you have to have it done. And it's usually due to a common birth defect.

Reasonably certain? That's your opinion. Vague mentions? That's a lie. I googled the shit out of it and found it nowhere. Provide a reference before you make such a claim.
  I previously came across this reference:- "Martin Short's character Uncle Jack is based loosely on real-life 90-year-old fitness guru Jack LaLanne. Speech mannerisms, style of dress, and even the dyed jet-black hair are all trademarks of LaLanne, who, unlike Short's character, remains extremely mobile and agile at the time of this episode's airing." from:-

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367279/trivia

As for the open-heart surgery, I recall Schwarzenegger also being forced to  have some similiar form of heart operation. Not sure, but I think some suggested, at the time, that it was due to S's past steroid abuse or some such.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 02:03:03 am by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2010, 02:24:43 am »
 ....Cooking was only started around 250,000 years ago, with fire being invented a couple of hundred thousand years earlier or so...

Thats more then enough time to learn how to eat baked potatoes and use them with great efficiency. Even though, I really suspect we tried cooking the second that we learned to make a fire, because those people were hungry much of the time.

...so, logically, it would take far longer(if ever) to adapt to unnatural cooked foods than for a wild animal to , say, switch from a raw, natural herbivorous diet to a raw, natural carnivorous one...

I don't see the logic in that, my cat would do much better on cooked meats and fishes and would like, die in two weeks on a herbivorous diet.
Same with wild cats...of course they need it raw cause of taurine.
I am not arguing to cook our food is best. But some people do very well on certain cooked foods, and they can live over 100 years, without bad health and disease, if they include only the right cooked foods, to me thats called adaptation.

Adaptation doesn't necessarily mean that cooked starches are healthy...

No it doesn't mean anything, if you adapted an antelope to eat raw meat they may be able too - but it won't be healthy, doesn't mean raw meat isn't healthy. We're not antelopes, or cats, or pandas, or bears...

Look at the Nenets - they even eat frozen fish and meats when the temperature is -50 degrees C.

Yes, they also eat lots of fats, and importantly drink freshly slaughtered blood (very important, its how wild cats are able to do well!), also they seasonally eat whale blubber I think? If I had fresh warm blood and high quality fat from sea mammals, well, I may be eating less tubers, you gotta make the best of what you have and its possible. By the way they salt a lot of their fish, which it how we often buy it at the Russian store here  ;)

EDIT: I meant cats would do better on a cooked meat diet VS a vegetarian one....not VS raw meat diet lol
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 02:31:45 am by yuli »

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2010, 03:10:42 am »
EDIT: I meant cats would do better on a cooked meat diet VS a vegetarian one....not VS raw meat diet lol

I had a cat when I was vegan that I gave canned catfood, raw eggs, boxed "cat" milk and she always snuck vegetables off my plate and ate them.  She especially liked raw tomatoes and raw avocados.  She ate them everyday, in addition to her catfood.  I guess she thought she was omnivorous.  More likely she just needed more raw food, an egg a day for raw wasn't enough.  She was an indoor cat.

All physical compositions can be necessary at one time or other - another way nature helped us have a way of always surviving as a species lol

I didn't mean that you aged early or anything.  I was very vata much of my life.  In ayurveda vata dosha is associated with people of advanced years.  It doesn't mean they're haggard.  It means they're quick, slim, bright etc.  Generally vatas are told to eat their vegetables cooked, in ayurveda, and not to go overboard on fruit.  Also vatas are actually told to eat meats like beef, whereas the other two doshas are told to avoid meats like beef.  I agree with you too, it's best to be tri-doshic.  They say it is hardest to balance that way, but I think it is the healthiest anyway.  That's one thing I like about eating RAFs.  It seems to get me to be more of a tridoshic balance.  Have you read much in ayurveda?

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2010, 03:26:50 am »
Some cats will eat the weirdest things... yesterday mine stole a few fried pieces of butter-fried jalapeno pepper, very spicy, and he is on raw meat and an outdoor cat! wtf... :P He acted pretty revved up after, and his eyes were extra round, lol

I don't know too much about ayurveda, but it does seem it may be best to be in the middle of all the compositions. You would have best chance of survival, but you can never be sure of these things, sometimes its good to be jack of all trades, and sometimes it can be useful to excel in one area even if you are not so good in others. Its a lot to think about, lol

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2010, 03:38:33 am »
There was a discussion on the paleofood list where it was suggested that most tubers needed to be cooked in order to be edible - otherwise antinutrient-levels would rise, causing long-term problems. I know Wrangham used the issue of tubers in the human diet to support his bizarre claim that cooking must have occurred much earlier.

yeah. heh, ultimately I don't think eating raw starch is the greatest thing. I think many types are 'edible' in that you can break them down somewhat and uptake some of the nutrition. Like I said, for someone on 100% raw diet, there could in fact be some net-positive to eating some daikon or yam in its raw state -and certainly carrots etc.. and avoid much issue with antinutrients, but any abundant quantity would causes problems probably prior to anti-nutrients, and really just wouldn't be particularly useful in general as a staple food source.

---

nice new pic yuli, you chameleon. I mean, I would use fire with you.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2010, 03:46:52 am »
Thats more then enough time to learn how to eat baked potatoes and use them with great efficiency. Even though, I really suspect we tried cooking the second that we learned to make a fire, because those people were hungry much of the time.

Not likely. Tribesmen before the advent of fire, would have had no clue cooked food was even edible and would have taken much longer to even try putting raw foods into a fire by design. If they had been hungry, then logically, they would have automatically eaten foods raw, as that was what they were used to.
Previous to that, they would only have eaten burnt food thrown into a fire by accident, an extremely unlikely happening. Plus, technological advancement in the Palaeolithic era was notoriously slow(for example, things like bows and arrows, traps and such, are thought not to have been invented and commonly used until c.60,000 years ago or so, according to 1 anthropologist). Also, even once cooking was discovered, it would have taken a long time for it to become widespread and mostly practiced. Even then, note that many Arctic tribes eat diets very high in raw foods, even after several hundred thousand years of cooking.

I don't see the logic in that, my cat would do much better on cooked meats and fishes and would like, die in two weeks on a herbivorous diet.
It all depends on how severely carnivorous etc. an animal is. But the point, re the giant panda, is that an animal can eat a food most of the time, whether raw or cooked, and still survive on it, even if it is wholly unadapted to such a food and gets health-problems therefrom.The cooked-meat example is really, really bad, as Pottenger showed that cats actually started suffering very serious health-problems, along with subsequent generations of cats, as soon as they were fed on exclusive diets of cooked meats, due to getting taurine-deficiency. Only cooked foods artificially supplemented with taurine solved that problem.
" Ron Paul.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2010, 04:38:30 am »

nice new pic yuli, you chameleon. I mean, I would use fire with you.

Thanks, no no fire, I am better raw, lol

The cooked-meat example is really, really bad, as Pottenger showed that cats actually started suffering very serious health-problems, along with subsequent generations of cats, as soon as they were fed on exclusive diets of cooked meats, due to getting taurine-deficiency. Only cooked foods artificially supplemented with taurine solved that problem.

Yes I know that part, taurine is essential for cats, but not essential for people. That is why people in cold climates can eat large portions of frozen meat, its a preservation method and they don't suffer ill-health from it. However if cats were fed exclusively frozen raw meat, they'd start developing the same problems, we can eat meat all frozen they can't. To them freezing meat is pretty much cooking meat. Cooking food depletes nutrients, but not completely, some of those are essential - some not so much - some can be replaced in other foods. And how many AGEs are produced after baking a potato (without incinerating it)? What is the answer? Is it too much for us, we don't know cause we don't have an answer, I suspect for some its ok...Potato is not as nutritious as raw met, but when you are already supplemented with nutritious foods its fine. We don't need THAT many nutrients, we'll be ok, well most of us anyway...Its good to learn from our ancestors, but we don't actually have to duplicate our diet, we can but its not even necessary, some ancestral diets wern't perfect either, nature is not perfect always, its progressive, I think there are ok modern foods which can be eaten along with raw foods, but I agree most things are not a good idea to eat.

Here is a photo of my dad, was taken last summer, I cropped off his face cause he may get mad if he finds himself on a forum and then I'll be sorry lol... But notice his manly shape (despite the cooked food and hormones he eats), long legs (he is like tall african) and well muscled upper body. He excels at both biking and swimming (allways in lakes and natural waters though), he has never set foot in a gym, he is 50 here! And he wasn't even healthy and fit his whole life, at one point he drank lots and never moved and smoked too much cause of work, now he never drinks, but thats not the point, he spends large amount of time programming on computer too, he eats lots of cooked meat, cooked whole grains (not as many as SAD people eat though), cooked veggies, lot of raw veggies and fruits, lots of coffee, tons of potatos, tons of cooked eggs and quite often a piece of cake or dumplings (  :P ), oh and he still smokes ciggs, but he makes many men half his age look pathetic. He has no health problems, from what I see he has more then enough testosterone, he is 50...so you see, some people have adapted pretty well...if you are searching for some kind of perfection or oasis then fine, but its easy to have excellence for many, even when including cooked foods...perfection...well thats a different story, apparently wild animals haven't achieved perfection either despite their natural diets, some can't resist diseases, get wiped out by other animals or disease, some still get cancers etc

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2010, 04:51:52 am »
how about "dam darling you make me forget about AGEs"?

"you make me want to be a better caveman."

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2010, 04:57:18 am »
how about "dam darling you make me forget about AGEs"?

LOL, its probably ok to not think about them all the time, maybe AGE's can absorb by only thinking about them! Has anyone considered that, AGE placebo hello!  :D

Hmm that makes me wonder, how much AGEs are absorbed from your digestive system and how many pass through. You'd have to measure the AGE in a food, eat it on an empty stomach, wait to take a shit, then measure the AGE in the shit. Is there an experiment as such?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2010, 05:15:49 am »

Yes I know that part, taurine is essential for cats, but not essential for people. That is why people in cold climates can eat large portions of frozen meat, its a preservation method and they don't suffer ill-health from it. However if cats were fed exclusively frozen raw meat, they'd start developing the same problems, we can eat meat all frozen they can't. To them freezing meat is pretty much cooking meat. Cooking food depletes nutrients, but not completely, some of those are essential -
   Actually, freezing meats causes very little damage by comparison to cooking the meats. So cats could(and do) stay perfectly healthy when fed on prefrozen meats, once they are thawed - I am thinking of current cat-owners who feed their cats on prefrozen steaks etc. , because they are so much healthier than cooked meats or those ghastly highly processed pet food supplements.
" Ron Paul.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2010, 05:30:16 am »
LOL, its probably ok to not think about them all the time, maybe AGE's can absorb by only thinking about them! Has anyone considered that, AGE placebo hello!  :D

Hmm that makes me wonder, how much AGEs are absorbed from your digestive system and how many pass through. You'd have to measure the AGE in a food, eat it on an empty stomach, wait to take a shit, then measure the AGE in the shit. Is there an experiment as such?

ah, the old AGE in the shit test.

I think two things I have learned in regards to raw food to stay sane is to stop trying to figure out how other people remain healthy and vibrant, and also to keep in mind the pluses of raw or 100% raw over focusing on the negatives of cooked. There are so many factors that can make people healthy eating crap and unhealthy eating great.

I think my conclusion really is that little nutrition is needed technically for survival. I disagree of course with alot of raw vegan people that literally think there is no real nutrition in meat or cooked food. Its both the destructive potential of 'food' and the beneficial surplus of nutrition ( and in that I mean macro and micro) that need to be taken into account, esp with unhealthy people.

Despite this, I still think it makes sense to seek out the best nutrition one can (perhaps without being too anal), avoiding toxic food, and even have goals like being 100% raw, eating wild food, or whatever. The relevant issue here (I think) and perhaps to ForTheHunt, is that once someone is reasonably healthy, there might possibly be programs that will work better for certain goals than 100% raw. This is true particularly if one wants to narrow those further into ZC or subcategories or whatever as even if they work for someone they might not for others, or for those goals or health situations.

I mean even accepting all the negatives that could possibly be with cooked foods, or that we are not adjusted to them, or even one that I agree heavily that cooked foods can affect healing or even transit of raw foods - I think most people are going to accept there are going to be diets that contain cooked food that are healthier than some all raw permutations - even ones that include raw meat.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2010, 05:30:46 am »
   Actually, freezing meats causes very little damage by comparison to cooking the meats. So cats could(and do) stay perfectly healthy when fed on prefrozen meats, once they are thawed - I am thinking of current cat-owners who feed their cats on prefrozen steaks etc. , because they are so much healthier than cooked meats or those ghastly highly processed pet food supplements.

nooo...cats fed exclusively FROZEN meat will develop problems later in life JUST like on cooked meat...that is why ALL recipes for frozen raw cat food stress the fact of putting taurine in it, and fish oil as well, and calcium  -\ because they will get similar problems to cooked diet. Frozen meat may be "healthier" for you, but not for your cat. I personally like fresh or aged meat above frozen, and I prefer rare and preserved/salted/smoked over frozen. Even though for humans its ok.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk