Author Topic: Smelly Poop from Veg?  (Read 22804 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Smelly Poop from Veg?
« on: December 31, 2010, 04:52:32 am »
I've seen vegans and fruitarians claim that their "shit doesn't smell," if you'll pardon the expression, and that they fart less since going vegan. Yet I've found pretty much the opposite--that my feces smell less when I eat just meat and animal fat than when I eat veg and I hardly fart at all when I'm eating just meat and fat. When I eat too much veg my feces smell like rotting vegetation from a swamp and I don't think this is just due to decreased ability to digest plant foods after going VLC, as my feces used to smell more when I was on SAD and moderate-carb Paleo too.

There's also this--the feces of folivorous howler monkeys are reportedly "extremely odorous." Howler monkeys eat mostly leaves, fruits and flowers according to http://www.bristolzoo.org.uk/black-howler-monkey, and "They are reported to eat more leaves than any other New World monkey." (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CB0QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.honoluluzoo.org%2Fhowler_monkey.htm&ei=--MbTfW7GYG8sQPsi7ncAg&usg=AFQjCNEASO5-gj_VxsTPhaHpkqUwe9TxAA).

On the other hand the Innu Eskimos have a "Fart Man" spirit (Matshishkapeu). So the overall picture is puzzlingly contradictory. Anyone have any explanations that might resolve these seeming contradictions?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 05:05:59 pm by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Smelly Poop from Veg?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 04:57:02 am »
I would agree. The more raw meat I eat the less my stools smell. However, any cooked food I eat,  including cooked animal food, makes it smell more. And raw plant foods make them smell more, I think?,  but I'm not as sure re that last.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 08:16:21 am »
Interesting, so maybe it's the cooked meats that give Eskimos apparently substantial farts?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 11:46:57 am »
Ha ha the Fart spirit, awesome!
I notices I fart:
- The least from BOTH cooked and raw meats & fats when eaten alone.
- The most from vegetables, raw or cooked!
- Mildly from whole grains or cooked starches.
- The MOST deathly farts from having bread and cheese...I tried a tiny sandwich yesterday with sourdough bread and cheese to see how I'd fare with it, well I fad "Fartosis" to say the least.....
I think it has more to do with plant foods make you fart more then meat foods.
And yes, the shit smells worse the more plants I eat  -\

But whats wrong with farting, a little farting is fun, lol....when I was zero carb (mostly cooked) a long time ago, I remember I NEVER farted....and it started to bug me, I actually missed farting, I at least wanted to fart every once in a while ha ha ha, but yeah too much is no fun...

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 11:53:31 am »
I literally never have gas from typical food. don't think from regular veg or even cooked meats either
raw or cooked starch and sometimes fruit maybe.

my shit at times smells abominable tho. and often none at all. alot other than recent food moves through the bowel. So only consistent smell would be concerning to me, unless I shared a small apartment with all girls or something.

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 11:59:51 am »
I have the same experience. People who don't digest plants very well could have matter fermenting in the intestine causing the smell/gas.
All I want is the truth... Just gimme some truth.
"I wanna be the minority."

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 12:12:41 pm »
Ha ha the Fart spirit, awesome!
:D Yeah, I like a spirituality system that includes some humor.

But whats wrong with farting, a little farting is fun, lol....when I was zero carb (mostly cooked) a long time ago, I remember I NEVER farted....and it started to bug me, I actually missed farting, I at least wanted to fart every once in a while ha ha ha,
Hmmm, to each their own I guess, LOL. The old lymeric about "the more you toot the better you feel" contradicted my actual experience, though I do miss being able to horrify and amuse friends by warning them that I had farted. :P Perhaps you have that sort of mischevious humor in mind? I also miss being able to belch at inappropriate social occasions a little bit, but I'll take the improved digestion over the occasional humor. I wasn't a truly skilled farter or belcher anyway :D though at one point my digestion, belching and farting had gotten bad enough on a so-called "healthy" diet of "healthy whole grains," fruits, veggies, legumes, soy/rice milk, limited lean meat, fish, etc. that I bought Beano, which was expensive. :(
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 12:22:15 pm by PaleoPhil »

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 12:27:41 pm »
@P.Phill

You know what, just because you fart does not correlate that your shits will smell or the farts will smell.  :o

An example is if I eat a huge veggie meal close before bedtime, when I get up I will have a few huge farts, the really loud and hilarious ones!!! But there is absolutely NO smell they smell like air, like nothing....what a funny way to start your day.
But some of the smaller less loud farts are lethal, like the ones I had from having the cheese sandwich, yikes.

I also enjoy sneezing too sometimes. When I sneeze its a loud screaming one, the one that scared people, yes I do it because its fun and it feels good. Something about the release of foreign air and particles I guess. But yeah if it smells it is kind of embarrassing.

....So only consistent smell would be concerning to me, unless I shared a small apartment with all girls or something.

I have a girlfriend who has NO sense of smell, really, she cannot smell anything hardly, from birth. This is one reason why she makes a good friend, and I think lots of guys like her for that reason too. I have a hyper sense of smell unfortunately, to the point that I can small my mom boiling WATER downstairs, freaky.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 12:48:06 pm »
I have very little gas now that I am on this diet of animal foods with a little coconut.
I have a foul mouth that makes up for the lack of gas. I personally like the dog breath so its a fair trade.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 01:07:40 pm »
I have very little gas now that I am on this diet of animal foods with a little coconut.
I have a foul mouth that makes up for the lack of gas. I personally like the dog breath so its a fair trade.

does your wife notice your breath/taste?

the last girl I dated didn't say anything but it didn't last long enough for me to gauge. I do brush with some kind of tea tree concoction paste from WF that destroys and coats 'good'.

often times I get the sense that my breath is bad just from a kind of lingering taste, and sometimes my mouth feels fresh. In my case I think I probably have better morning breath than most folks, and is just the foods when it is 'bad'.

one thing this thread reminded me of is I can't remember the last time I had all the little burps and things after eating. It was never huge but was somewhat concerning. I guess that '+' combined with no gas or digestive issues even with some cooked meats and starch every so often are cumulative good signs. I never made that salt thing a consistent effort, but I do add it to my water in sprinkles when I can remember.

Offline rawcarni

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 02:55:51 pm »
After some time eating ZC (about half a year or so) I tried to reintroduce some veggies, I can say for me eating veggies definetely does give me very smelly poop! It really was a significant difference! When I eat only from the animal kingdom I don't notice much odor, except when I overeat. when I eat more than I need to feel satisfied it will be a smelly poop the next day. Anyone knows why? Is it that the stuff is not digested properly when you overeat and putrifies?
Nicole

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 04:44:53 pm »
When reintroducing new foods into a diet, often those foods are not digested totally, and can result in a bad smell. So eating mostly animal foods, and then reintroducing some plants can cause bad smells because the plants were not properly assimilated. Likewise, if you eat mostly plant foods, and then reintroduce some animal foods, you will also get a similar results. I know this because I have experienced this latter situation. Reading your situation of the opposite scenario reinforces the point that the new food is not digested properly and results in a bad smell.

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 06:08:28 pm »
my farts smell like ocean  8)

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 09:24:53 pm »
does your wife notice your breath/taste?

the last girl I dated didn't say anything but it didn't last long enough for me to gauge. I do brush with some kind of tea tree concoction paste from WF that destroys and coats 'good'.

often times I get the sense that my breath is bad just from a kind of lingering taste, and sometimes my mouth feels fresh. In my case I think I probably have better morning breath than most folks, and is just the foods when it is 'bad'.

one thing this thread reminded me of is I can't remember the last time I had all the little burps and things after eating. It was never huge but was somewhat concerning. I guess that '+' combined with no gas or digestive issues even with some cooked meats and starch every so often are cumulative good signs. I never made that salt thing a consistent effort, but I do add it to my water in sprinkles when I can remember.
I don't brush my teeth and I like the bacterial feeling in my mouth I swear I just clean my mouth with my saliva and the enzymes and bacteria seem to stay in a healthy balance.

She don't mind the breath too much considering the dirty dogs she used to date, she wont kiss me with my mouth full of meat or anything, but if I wipe the blood off my lips we are good to go. :D. Although she does try to avoid me if I am eatting the high meat, and she doesn't like when I air it out in the house.

Love can overcome even the foulest of mouths.

I think she is happy that I no longer have those vegetarian fart bombs like I used to, those would drive anyone out of the room.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 06:07:03 am »
When reintroducing new foods into a diet, often those foods are not digested totally, and can result in a bad smell. So eating mostly animal foods, and then reintroducing some plants can cause bad smells because the plants were not properly assimilated. Likewise, if you eat mostly plant foods, and then reintroduce some animal foods, you will also get a similar results. I know this because I have experienced this latter situation. Reading your situation of the opposite scenario reinforces the point that the new food is not digested properly and results in a bad smell.
I think a VLC diet may have increased the smell from plant foods a little over time, but I have been eating plant foods for many months now with no change in the smell from them and as I mentioned before the bad smells existed before I went VLC and dramatically reduced quickly after going VLC, so I think there's more to it in my case than just reintroducing new foods. It appears that for me plant foods have produced greater smell for many years and before I tried VLC. This is probably not the case for all, though, so your point may be more important in other cases and thanks for the input.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk