Author Topic: How come zero carb....  (Read 22344 times)

Offline Dima

• Trapper
    • View Profile
How come zero carb....
« on: March 06, 2011, 04:59:09 am »
Works so well for some people (i.e. ZIOH forum) and is a complete disaster for many others?

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: How come zero carb....
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 05:08:11 am »
I don't think zero carb is completely safe, lc is fine but zero carb is an extreme. Even if we were in a frozen wasteland you can get some carbs. But it doesn't work for some IMO because people have been living with a constant carb source their whole life, their digestive tract is severely damaged and then they make a quick switch to zero carb and throw their bodies into chaos.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline Dima

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 05:14:59 am »
I do not want to steer the thread away from it's topic, but:

1) What kind of vegetation exists in a frozen wasteland?
2) What exactly is LC? Exclusion of fruits, grains, and tubers?

Offline Caveman

• Bear Hunter
  • Man of the cave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 05:28:35 am »
I really think it may be one of those things that an already healthy person should do.

Some people have recovered from some serious health problems through zero carb, though, right?

Maybe the state of health which the person is in and the specific health issues involved will basically determine if one can truly live off of zero carbs.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 05:33:58 am »
Works so well for some people (i.e. ZIOH forum) and is a complete disaster for many others?
  Seems a lot of ZIOHers get banned from the forum if they object to the stalinist behaviour there or experience any health-problems.  Some people seem to thrive on RZC, while others like me seem to do disastrously on RZC. I suspect that those who do well on RZC are those who ate too many highly refined carbs in previous decades.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 05:48:58 am »
i haven't found a raw paleo carb source yet that i can digest without problems.  in fact, they go through me exactly as they went in :(  .. and it's painful, so i don't eat them presently.  it's not a carb thing exactly though. i know i can't eat cooked chicken nor cooked egg whites.  raw egg yolks are okay if i eat a couple a month or something, but they make everything go thru me kinda fast too.  

i think we all have to find our own way to balance our bodies out, and so we all have somewhat different approaches within paleo to achieving that.

i went to dropping carbs pretty much overnite, and wow! what a difference that made for me!!  i thought it could not possibly be heathy, did some internet searches, and that's how i found this forum.  i'm not the only one.  i never had any adaptation phase or fatigue or anything other negative or positive (i still sleep the same hours, etc).. i just eat and don't have stomach problems so life is grand :D

i do so hope though, that i am correcting for some imbalance and that i can eat carbs again... soon!  i love fresh fruits!!!.. and salads!!  i've been about 1.5 years, and still no luck yet.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 09:14:10 am »
I went into low carb because of past blood sugar and digestive issues with carbs. I was realy ill with candida and other chronic health issues, that resolved quickly on a low carb diet.

I also hoped to one day eat more carb foods without issues, but its been over a year and I have no craving for any carb foods other than some coconut. I eat an avocado every once in a while and hope to grow my own tomatoes and okra and perhaps some berry bushes one day.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Online goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 11:27:39 am »
Different strokes for different folks.
Can't argue that it works for some and it doesn't work for some.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 11:37:18 am »
raw egg yolks are okay if i eat a couple a month or something, but they make everything go thru me kinda fast too.
What about liver?

i went to dropping carbs pretty much overnite, and wow! what a difference that made for me!!  i thought it could not possibly be heathy, did some internet searches, and that's how i found this forum.  i'm not the only one.  i never had any adaptation phase or fatigue or anything other negative or positive (i still sleep the same hours, etc).. i just eat and don't have stomach problems so life is grand :D
Same here. I experienced nothing but benefits early on when I tried ZC. I mentally head-smacked myself and asked myself why I had never tried it before. I guess it runs so counter to the standard dogma that it had never occurred to me to try it until Lex's posts at ZIOH and here and Charles' challenge to give it a try convinced me to give it a shot for a while. The downside of ZC for me was that it only improved my constipation for a few weeks and then it gradually worsened again. Adding avocados and eating more eggs and marrow and less beef seems to have helped with that. I don't recommend pure ZC as more than a temporary therapy. It doesn't make sense to me to restrict liver, eggs and brain like Bear Stanley apparently does just because they contain carbs (unless you're intolerant of animal starch).

i do so hope though, that i am correcting for some imbalance and that i can eat carbs again... soon!  i love fresh fruits!!!.. and salads!!  i've been about 1.5 years, and still no luck yet.
I've had some interesting early results from Really Raw fermented honey, though it's a bit early to tell for sure. It seems like that and Blue Ice fermented CLO improve my ability to handle plant carbs, or at least minimize my symptoms, particularly the honey. I just ordered some more of the honey. Interestingly, I also got some euphoria from the honey, which I've never gotten from honey before--only from raw grassfed suet, liver and meats, wild salmon and decent quality egg yolks.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 12:18:30 pm »
i don't have any problems with organs, only benefits.  i can eat oysters and scallops as well just fine and they are 20-30%? carbs. 

i'm interested in your fermented honey journey, too.  how much do you eat?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 12:28:53 pm »
As much as I want, whereas with other raw and centrifuged honeys I have to limit myself. The strangest thing of all is, instead of giving me chapped lips, dry skin and dandruff, the fermented honey appeared to improve those things after another honey I ate with avocados and blackberries had worsened them. Also, it doesn't give me stomach upset and esophagus burning like some honeys can. I can't explain it and still find it hard to believe.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 05:34:21 pm »
Really Raw fermented honey

Is that mead then? Not suprised if that made you euphoric!

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 05:36:34 pm »
after another honey I ate with avocados and blackberries had worsened them.

honey with avocado and  blackberries? what about food combining principles lol

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 06:43:04 pm »
Is that mead then? Not suprised if that made you euphoric!
No, LOL. This is it:
Really Raw fermented honey (along with other honeys in the image):

honey with avocado and  blackberries? what about food combining principles lol
LOL. I've never heard a hunter-gatherer say "Don't eat that grubcomb with the honeycomb, that violates food combining rules by mixing fat with carbs!" I do think that not mixing fat with carbs makes sense if you're trying to lose body fat, which is an obsession with many Americans nowadays. It's the reverse of hunter-gatherers, who tend to highly value a "thick" or voluptuous woman. LOL

In the movie Mongol, a young Genghis Khan's father tells him to choose a bride with "thick legs." In the recording of the song Skinny Legs and All by Joe Tex, one of the band members says "I don't want no woman with no skinny legs." You don't hear that much any more these days. ;D

Cavemen Preferred Full-Figured Ladies

« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 10:09:23 pm by PaleoPhil »

Online goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 08:58:18 pm »
My driver says the thick legged women are usually more horny than thin skinned women.

I wonder if that's true.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 09:25:04 pm »
My driver says the thick legged women are usually more horny than thin skinned women.

I wonder if that's true.

its not  ;D

Offline Caveman

• Bear Hunter
  • Man of the cave
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 11:12:21 pm »

I wonder if that's true.

I think it is true in some cases. Someone that is very skinny might not have normal hormone levels. You know what happens to many raw vegans.. they can become very skinny and lose sex drive. Low fat diets, specifically, will do this because fats and cholesterol are needed for the production of hormones. Women with too much estrogen seem to have much more body fat. This is one of the effects of the female sex hormones. In this way, I do believe it is true..
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 12:49:28 am by Caveman »

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 05:48:32 pm »
My only concern about ZC except for those it works out for like Ioanna, read her story with IBS and I can relate, lactose intolerance+acid reflux = very similar to IBS and anything that helps you enjoy life dietwise i'd take it. (im fine with LC) but my only concern is, what about calcium? Besides blood rich in calcium and all other nutrients , if you don't eat tiny bones of fish and frogs, and fouls, and bone meal or chew on bones, what about the calcium. 200 mg a day of calcium is fine, but lower than that and i'd be panicking D:

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2011, 04:22:19 am »
ZIOH is a disaster. I used to be on there. I'm glad I learned "real" ZC. I refer to ZIOH and "Wal-Mart hamburger roll diet." Not ZC in the healthy, paleo sense. I just reached my 2 - year ZC anniversary and I am thriving!

Busgrw

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2011, 05:20:10 am »
ZIOH is a disaster. I used to be on there. I'm glad I learned "real" ZC. I refer to ZIOH and "Wal-Mart hamburger roll diet." Not ZC in the healthy, paleo sense. I just reached my 2 - year ZC anniversary and I am thriving!
Hey klowcarb, not wanting to hijack this thread but any chance you could elaborate on "real" ZC and what you eat?

Congrats on your 2 yes!  ;)

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2011, 08:13:42 am »
Absolutely. I eat grassfed beef-mostly 90/10 or 85/15 ground beef, grassfed butter, coconut oil, lots of eggs, with extra yolks, and organ meats, most particularly heart and gizzards, but a few others as well.

Per Fitday, I pretty much crush every listed micronutrient. I only supplement with magnesium and D. Nothing else. I use salt for adrenal health.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2011, 10:24:38 am »
Some recent pictures as a result of my specific rare paleo ZC / Warrior Diet / bodybuilding plan:

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 10:45:23 am »
Congrats Kateyln, it does look like you have more muscle.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2011, 11:03:10 am »
I went from 100lbs to 108lbs, and I sit at 15% BF. Per the trainer that does my BF, I added 8lbs. and only .5 lb. of fat, the rest muscle. I added more than 4 inches across my shoulders and with my leg work, lifted my glutes 2 inches.

To all the naysayers--yes, you CAN be lean and gain muscle on ZC!

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2011, 11:07:18 am »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk