Author Topic: Hair issues: Hair Growth, Folliculitis, Scalp infections/fungal infections, etc  (Read 23973 times)

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
Has anyone experience any improvement in their hair health?

I used to have horrible itchy hair and scalp, dandruff, ongoing scalp infections, folliculitis, scalp fungus/fungal infections where there would be bald patches and on RPD its starting to get better.

Moreso, has anyone noticed an end to these or any other scalp/hair problems and noticed any hair growth and restoration of bald spots and patches ans scabs or scars as well as restoration of your hairline if it was receeding?

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
i used to have this really gross not so much dandruff as it was itchy stuff that would accumulate on the back part of my scalp...its was a cross between sweat, old scalp and yeast i think but i dont have it anymore and i would like to think its because there are only vegetable based carbs in my diet so there isnt anything to feed the yeast, and my overall need for hygenic practices has decreased because i just dont smell bad or accumulate dry skin due to a clean diet and healthy chemical free life

to remedy the problem though, becaues its sounds uncomfortable, i would definitely take oil or oregonal internally, as well as find some kind of herbal antifungal soak and rinse(look up what herbs are best for this and how to apply, it could be as easy as steeping your own tea and then dunking your head in it, i also recommend grape seed extract) also i have heard that scrubbing the head with coconut oil is helpful to stimulate the scalp and hair growth and coconut has antifungal properties...i also know an older fellow(60 plus) who attributes the regrowth and darkening of his hair to rebounding(his wife says the same for her color and texture)

please be patient and keep with it though, p roblems never occur and resolve immediately
best

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
    • View Profile
i used to have this really gross not so much dandruff as it was itchy stuff that would accumulate on the back part of my scalp...its was a cross between sweat, old scalp and yeast i think but i dont have it anymore and i would like to think its because there are only vegetable based carbs in my diet so there isnt anything to feed the yeast, and my overall need for hygenic practices has decreased because i just dont smell bad or accumulate dry skin due to a clean diet and healthy chemical free life

to remedy the problem though, becaues its sounds uncomfortable, i would definitely take oil or oregonal internally, as well as find some kind of herbal antifungal soak and rinse(look up what herbs are best for this and how to apply, it could be as easy as steeping your own tea and then dunking your head in it, i also recommend grape seed extract) also i have heard that scrubbing the head with coconut oil is helpful to stimulate the scalp and hair growth and coconut has antifungal properties...i also know an older fellow(60 plus) who attributes the regrowth and darkening of his hair to rebounding(his wife says the same for her color and texture)

please be patient and keep with it though, p roblems never occur and resolve immediately
best
Wow that really sucks :(. I really did hear dandruff was caused by a scalp fungus and is usually fed by carbs, sugar, stress, etc so going low carb sugar free aka fruit free paleo with only vegetables as fiber, zero carb works good for some too.

Also has anyone noted a change in skin and hair oiliness as opposed to stop using soap to clean and using filtered water to clean with? i haven't shampooed in months and my hair and scalp health is awesome!

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
Wow that really sucks :(. I really did hear dandruff was caused by a scalp fungus and is usually fed by carbs, sugar, stress, etc so going low carb sugar free aka fruit free paleo with only vegetables as fiber, zero carb works good for some too.

Yes, dandruff is strongly related to candida and other fungi and sugar.

Some 'experts' claim that dandruff is impossible on ZC.
My own experience confirms this.

Löwenherz

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
    • View Profile
Yes, dandruff is strongly related to candida and other fungi and sugar.

Löwenherz

What about low carb on like only leaves as carbs (ie lettuce, etc) about 40 g at most and meat whilst liver has some carbs?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile

Löwenherz
My dandruff was substantially reduced by VLC and ZC, but I still had some until I tried raw fermented honey. The fermented honey appears to have killed off most of the remainder within a few days. I knew that honey was an antifungal, but this is amazing! For some reason, only the fermented honey did it for me. It could be that the variety of honey contributed too, but it seems like the fermented version works better for me. I wrote the makers and their spokesperson said that other people have written them about similar results.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
    • View Profile
My dandruff was substantially reduced by VLC and ZC, but I still had some until I tried raw fermented honey. The fermented honey appears to have killed off most of the remainder within a few days. I knew that honey was an antifungal, but this is amazing! For some reason, only the fermented honey did it for me. It could be that the variety of honey contributed too, but it seems like the fermented version works better for me. I wrote the makers and their spokesperson said that other people have written them about similar results.

Would high meat or other fermented food have the same anti-fungal effect due to the bacteria? Or was it just the honey?

Offline MoonStalkeR

• Warrior
    • View Profile
I have a very itchy scalp and dandruff. Cold weather makes it more severe.

It might not exactly be fungus-based. It can also be due to dryness and dehydration. In your case, maybe raw fat would help?.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 08:48:24 am by MoonStalkeR »

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
High meat had no noticeable effect on my skin. I don't know why, but my guess is that high meat promotes healthy gut flora but does not have a strong antifungal effect. Raw fat did help greatly and fat is known to hydrate--eating fat helped me more than applying it to my skin, though both helped. Raw fermented honey helped further beyond what VLC or ZC or high fat did. I'm surprised but I can't deny what I've seen with my own eyes and felt in my scalp with my fingernails. I don't fully understand why or how it worked, but I do know that raw honey is an antifungal, so that's my best guess. I don't know how well this would work for others. I haven't seen other reports of this, but the Really Raw folks did indicate that others have reported similar results, so it apparently works for at least some other people.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
    • View Profile

It might not exactly be fungus-based. It can also be due to dryness and dehydration. In your case, maybe raw fat would help?.

Try rubbing suet in your hands to disolve it and rub it in your hair. Drink water only when thirsty but stay hydrated, and limit unnatural salt, gain only salt from fish, sea veggies if you want, meats, blood especially, shellfish or a last resort a very good natural salt if you need it

Edit: At paleophill how do you ferment honey or was it a product and if so was it organic and do you have a link?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:26:04 am by Techydude »

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
It's a product: http://www.reallyrawhoney.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RRH&Category_Code=FRRH

I would think it would be possible to make it oneself by adding a little moisture to raw honey and storing it in a warm place, but I've never tried it nor seen any instructions on it.

I haven't noticed any claim that it's organic, so I doubt it.

In my case dehydration apparently didn't have much to do with my dry skin because I'm no more hydrated than I was but there is dramatically less of the dry, flaky skin. So it may not be productive to jump to such conclusions without also testing alternative possibilities.

I remained open minded and tested many possibilities, even when people criticized it (well meaningly) and advised otherwise. I stuck with an experimental approach, partially guided by the experience of hunter gatherers, Aajonus and fellow RPDers, and persistence in it seems to have paid off, finally.

Of course, it's possible to engage in foolish and dangerous experiments, so I try to research alternatives before I try them to avoid pitfalls and enhance the chances for success. It was only after seeing multiple hunter gatherer societies gorging on wild honey and reading that it was the favorite food of the Hadza and others that I decided to try a wide variety of different honeys and see if I could find one that I could handle well. It didn't make sense to me that the favorite food of HGs would be seriously damaging, like modern "experts" claim. I could imagine that eating lots of it year-round might have some negative effects, and I even wondered whether too much intake might be contributing to AV's hair loss, but my guess was that moderate intake might be beneficial. My reading of the beneficial experiments of Aajonus, Brady and others spurred me on even though my early results were poor. HG societies had never steered me wrong, that I can recall, so I figured that there probably was something to raw, wild honey, but I didn't know quite what. I was mainly interested to see if it might help with regards to my underweight or constipation. Instead, the main benefit was in the skin, which makes sense in retrospect but I wasn't expecting it. That's often how the greatest breakthroughs occur--by accident while trying to achieve something else.

One thing I noticed is that there was some gradual, mild increase again of dry skin after the initial great reduction of it with VLC and ZC. I suspect that the fungi or whatever it was adapted and started to regrow somewhat--maybe the fungi that could survive fat better started to repopulate to a certain extent. Whatever the cause of that, time will tell whether the honey will bring about permanent elimination or just significant reduction.

There is one counter-evidence to the fungal hypothesis: I had also tried topical antifungal products like coconut oil, tea tree oil, pine tar, etc. with no noticeable improvement. However, maybe consuming an antifungal is more effective for me than topical use? On the other hand, consuming coconut oil didn't produce positive results (though I wasn't able to handle much at one time and it became so nauseating to me that I had to give it up) and fermented honey worked while unfermented didn't appear to. So maybe the fermentation of the honey is key somehow? It's still somewhat of a puzzle.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:59:36 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline Coatue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
High meat had no noticeable effect on my skin. I don't know why, but my guess is that high meat promotes healthy gut flora but does not have a strong antifungal effect. Raw fat did help greatly and fat is known to hydrate--eating fat helped me more than applying it to my skin, though both helped. Raw fermented honey helped further beyond what VLC or ZC or high fat did. I'm surprised but I can't deny what I've seen with my own eyes and felt in my scalp with my fingernails. I don't fully understand why or how it worked, but I do know that raw honey is an antifungal, so that's my best guess. I don't know how well this would work for others. I haven't seen other reports of this, but the Really Raw folks did indicate that others have reported similar results, so it apparently works for at least some other people.

where can you get this honey?

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
    • View Profile
Oh I saw that honey a year ago. I did consume raw honey, it wasn't organic but it was raw unprocessed with the propolis or w/e pollen at the top and was sour sweet but I ate a lot of it, didn't work for me. It was by a brand called Wee Bee Raw Honey with a green top.

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
Has anyone experience any improvement in their hair health?

I havent noticed any. But I get dry everything when I binge on the wrong kind of carbs. eat pizza, go itchy and spend the next day close to the porcelain. But I came upon the blog of a bloke called Danny Roddy which deals with his own battle against hairloss. I think he is one of Lex's friends.

http://www.dannyroddy.com/

Intelligent guy that appear to have a pleasant personality (when he is not raw vegan that is).

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile

Have you tried applying cold pressed olive or coconut oil? Before you go to sleep, apply the stuff and cover your hair. Wash in the morning.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
@Paleophil
In what quantity and at what frequency are you eating the fermented honey?
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
    • View Profile
@Paleophil
In what quantity and at what frequency are you eating the fermented honey?

Ya tell us.

@Brother olive oil sux for me mainly cuz I heard the skin is more saturated and something like suet or even for those who try it (not me I dont agree with nut oils) coconut oil

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile

Very interesting! I never got dandruff on LC, VLC and ZC. But fermented honey sounds interesting. Are there still carbs in fermented honey?

Löwenherz

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
What about low carb on like only leaves as carbs (ie lettuce, etc) about 40 g at most and meat whilst liver has some carbs?

Yes, LC <= 40 g should work against candida & co.

Maybe additional killers could be useful, as Sabertooh (coconut) and PP (fermented honey) reported.

Löwenherz

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
where can you get this honey?
At the link I posted above.

Oh I saw that honey a year ago. I did consume raw honey, it wasn't organic but it was raw unprocessed with the propolis or w/e pollen at the top and was sour sweet but I ate a lot of it, didn't work for me. It was by a brand called Wee Bee Raw Honey with a green top.
I also tried a raw unprocessed honey with the propolis and stuff at the top and it also didn't do anything for me. Only the stuff at the link worked for me so far. But Brady said a very different honey worked for him, so who knows why or how. The mystery is intriguing.

@Paleophil In what quantity and at what frequency are you eating the fermented honey?
No specific quantity or frequency. Completely random. A few tbsp appears to have significant benefit. I can eat as much as I want with no noticeable negative effects yet beyond BG spike, but I get a stop at around 1/3-1/2 a pound if I'm eating nothing else.

Very interesting! I never got dandruff on LC, VLC and ZC. But fermented honey sounds interesting. Are there still carbs in fermented honey?

Löwenherz

Oh hell yes. Many.

Unfortunately, much of the dietary world has divided up into warring high carb/low fat vs. low carb/high fat camps. I don't see things so much in terms of reductionist macronutrient levels as I do in terms of biological adaptation of species and individuals. So I see no reason why a diet relatively high in calories from both meat/fat/organs/fish/shellfish/insects and raw-honey/berries/fruits/raw-USOs, such as the Hadza diet, needs to be ruled out a-priori.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 06:44:44 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
There are a few other threads here somewhere on this topic so it's obviously popular.

I and my GF have noticed that my hair is gradually regrowing on bald areas. Not sure exactly why. Here are some possibles in order of their guessed likelihood.

Stopped washing my hair a few months ago. That seemed to be when the hair started to regrow. For a long time I washed with water only and noticed no difference. Most women with lots of hair wash only once in awhile and I think they are on to something.

Eating raspberries and butter and cream in the evening as AV suggests, to prevent snoring. Seems to work but the sourness of the raspberries eventually gives me a sore throat which devolves into a cold. Seems to make my scalp cooler which I think may help with the hair problem.

Other possibles but I think the no-washing is the biggy.

Raw Paleo could be a help, not sure.
Cheers
Al

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
dogdamnit, just got head lice recently, they showed up and started making my head itch yesterday.. Last time I had head lice was many years ago and my Mum used conditioner, tea tree oil and maybe something else, and a fine-tooth comb. Is there any way I can get rid of these things on my own..?

Furthermore is there any way to do it on my own without using all that stuff?

This itching is crazy, I've been picking them out by myself but I can't do the back no way.. I need to get even the tiny nits not just the lice.

Just while I'm here, anyone have any alternative views, little-known information or theories regarding head lice?

I also wondered about the itching/scratching in reaction to bites, if it just benefits the lice further or what.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
I just read on a yahoo answers comment that lice do not become a problem unless one has a dry scalp, and that they hate oil. Is this right? If so, that'd be the issue I need to sort out.

This is why I'm asking this here on RPF.

Maybe eating PP's Raw Fermented Honey will clear the head lice!
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
    • View Profile
dogdamnit, just got head lice recently, they showed up and started making my head itch yesterday.. Last time I had head lice was many years ago and my Mum used conditioner, tea tree oil and maybe something else, and a fine-tooth comb. Is there any way I can get rid of these things on my own..?

Furthermore is there any way to do it on my own without using all that stuff?

This itching is crazy, I've been picking them out by myself but I can't do the back no way.. I need to get even the tiny nits not just the lice.

Just while I'm here, anyone have any alternative views, little-known information or theories regarding head lice?

I also wondered about the itching/scratching in reaction to bites, if it just benefits the lice further or what.

In addition to head lice I suffored from demodex hair mites in humans google it. Organic Sea Buckthorn oil works wonders, google it and check it out if you wanna use it. http://www.jashbotanicals.com/articles/demodex_folliculorum.html  http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bulkoil/s-z.php  http://www.lifesvigor.com/seabuckthorn-seed-oil-10-ml-sibu.html

Also I believe honey has carbs since it is sugar but who cares when its only a tbs and you're on LC, VLC, or ZC.

Offline MoonStalkeR

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Try rubbing suet in your hands to disolve it and rub it in your hair. Drink water only when thirsty but stay hydrated, and limit unnatural salt, gain only salt from fish, sea veggies if you want, meats, blood especially, shellfish or a last resort a very good natural salt if you need it

Edit: At paleophill how do you ferment honey or was it a product and if so was it organic and do you have a link?

Salt hydrates. There is not enough salt in meat unless you drink Blood, and a lot of commercial meat is drained. Fish and have a lot of potassium which dehydrates unlike sodium. They have less need for it due to their environment.

Have you tried applying cold pressed olive or coconut oil? Before you go to sleep, apply the stuff and cover your hair. Wash in the morning.

Coconut oil I did try in the summer, I can say it was somewhat effective. Olive oil has a drying effect on my skin, vegetable oils act differently so I'm unsure if they would help or make dryness worse. Grinded suet sounds like the most mild treatment.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk