Author Topic: Dried Mango (and other fruits)  (Read 14646 times)

Offline macgeek2005

• Forager
    • View Profile
Dried Mango (and other fruits)
« on: January 07, 2012, 03:07:55 pm »
I'm going to guess that dried mango is somehow terribly unhealthy for a person, based on the fact that it's so delicious and addictive. Am I right? Does anyone know?

Thanks.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Dried Mango (and other fruits)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 05:49:55 pm »
Dried fruits contain artificial preservatives like sulphites. These are also added to nonorganic wine. Foul stuff, avoid like the plague.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 06:37:21 pm »
Dried fruits contain artificial preservatives like sulphites. These are also added to nonorganic wine. Foul stuff, avoid like the plague.

There are plenty of dried fruits available these days without added preservatives if you know where to look. Not that I'm suggesting that the consumption of dried fruit is good.

Also, most organic wines have added sulphites too. An organic wine just means that organic grapes were used, little more. However, if you look hard enough you can find organic wine with no added sulphites.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline balancing-act

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 07:22:33 pm »
If you find dried fruit without preservatives that's a lot better (Living Tree Community Foods has sun-dried fruit that's the best dried fruit I've ever had)... but fresh fruit is *infinitely* better than dried. It just makes you feel so much better. In my opinion hydration is a big part of why fruit is so good. Nothing beats a ripe fresh mango. No access to fresh mangos?
Dried fruit can be a backup. There are definitely worse things one can out in one's body.

Interested in deep political matters? www.rigorousintuition.ca

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 12:25:46 pm »
I got very sick eating large amounts of dried fruit.  Pretty much everyone who has done the raw vegan diet for very long has either gotten sick from dried fruit, or knows some other vegan who has.

Granted, the fruit I ate was probably sulfured, and heated to high temps, but still, it was WAAAAY worse for me than regular fruit.  I don't trust even sun-dried fruit, with or without preservatives.

Offline macgeek2005

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 01:42:21 pm »
I get organic dried mango from Whole Foods. Do you think that has the sulfates or whatever?

And if it doesn't, what makes it unhealthy?

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 02:07:55 pm »
I'm going to guess that dried mango is somehow terribly unhealthy for a person, based on the fact that it's so delicious and addictive. Am I right? Does anyone know?

Thanks.

I looked into making dried mangoes as a business.  They are sliced and put into dehydrating machines.  And of course, the preservatives as Tyler mentioned.

It's a "treat", just like any other cheats out there.  Never make them staples.

Try to get fresh ripe mangoes.  They taste and hydrate so much better.  I'll have a ripe mango now just for you.

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 02:48:03 pm »
I'll have a ripe mango now just for you.

hahahahaha Have one for me too ;)

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 02:50:56 pm »
yeah like many had mentioned you can find it at many health foodstores without preservatives.

When I was in Jordan, figs and grapes dried naturally in the arid climate. The grapes were of good quality with seeds though. Dried figs are not addictive to me
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 05:59:23 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 02:53:42 am »
I used to be addicted to sulphite-free dried mango, dates and other sulphite-free dried fruits. I thought I was doing OK by avoiding the sulphite, as others recommended, but that turned out to be bogus advice for me. Even sulphite-free dried fruits caused me major problems. I didn't realize it until I cut them out. I'm more carb sensitive than most people, so your experience may differ. The only way you can find out is to test it for yourself. No one else can know what your experience will be.

BTW, I discovered that not only were fresh papaya and fresh figs less of a problem for me than dried, though I do have to limit my intake, but they actually taste WAY better to me than the dried versions. And like GS said, fresh mango is also tasty, so why not eat it fresh (or as fresh as you can get in your area, that is)? My guess is that tropical fruits are probably healthier to eat when they are taken right from the tree (tree-ripened) in the tropical nations where they are grown. It might be best to eat more of the fruits that are native to your region and truly fresh. Just a guess.

If you must eat dried fruit, then why not try drying it yourself, with no added heat (air-drying), or at least as little heat as possible? My guess is that dried-fruit manufacturers probably use rather high temps to quicken the process.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 03:05:49 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 05:06:36 am »
I've often stated that dehydrated, raw foods  had certain problems for raw foodists. Lack of water-content makes all the difference.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 10:51:51 am »
I think it's also lack of enzymes, lack of vitamins (from oxidation),  and increased sugar content as fruit ripens as it dries

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 01:49:19 pm »
From all the companies I've called, the non sulphite dried fruits are heated to quicken the drying process (i.e. not raw) Although I have ordered dates online that were from a explicitly stated raw foodist (the date people). ...

Most of the dried fruit I've seen is sulphited. I think it's OK to eat dried fruit sometimes, it's better than a piece of bread. I'd prefer the non sulphited ones . if it's organic in the U.S., it's automatically non-sulphited
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 02:27:10 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline balancing-act

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 11:15:51 pm »
If you get dates from the Date People or some such company they haven't been dried; they're fresh. Still, in my opinion, dates aren't as good as higher water-content fruit, but I eat them once in a while, and they feel a lot better than dried fruit.
Interested in deep political matters? www.rigorousintuition.ca

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk