Author Topic: fish vs red meats  (Read 30653 times)

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
Re: fish vs red meats
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2012, 06:30:05 am »
Wow Placenta, I was just wondering about that. Most of the animals I get are boys. I saw a horse placenta. Didn't consider eating it back then, but I remember marveling its beauty in the morning sunlight.
When I get an interesting fish tid-bit from the market I'll post it here.
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline Justin

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2012, 09:28:46 am »
Yeah, that's one reason why I go by what tastes the best, basically using the Instincto approach, rather than what the label says. It just so happens that the fish labeled "sashimi grade" tastes the best to me, but the label means nothing to me. My local market actually has the best quality food I've ever encountered anywhere on the East coast of the USA. They have very high standards. Unfortunately, they also have high prices. LOL

I've had similar experiences on my end, the 'sashimi' grade has happened to taste the best and incidentally be the freshest as well.  Some of the best tasting fish I have ever had has been sashimi toro- fatty tuna. It's ridiculously expensive though. Have you ever tried sea urchin? Talk about a strange consistency and I've had my fare share of organs.. It was actually pretty good.
"You can train long or you can train hard, but you can't do both." -Arthur Jones.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2012, 10:47:21 am »
No, I 've never tried sea urchin, and every time I go to the local Asian restaurant I ask if they have sashimi toro, but they haven't had it yet, despite it being on the menu. Next time I'll ask them if they have it during a specific season, as you've reinvigorated my curiosity.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 01:42:14 pm by TylerDurden »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2012, 10:17:55 am »
Real toro is very expensive, and tastes incredible.  I've paid $16 for two pieces before, but it was worth it. Oh my goodness. heh.

Fresh sea urchin is absolutely divine.  It's not like toro, but I love it. Sea urchin is one of those few raw foods that does NOT get better in ANY way when it is aged. In my opinion, anyway.

Offline Lynnzard

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2012, 10:19:41 am »
Fresh sea urchin is absolutely divine.  It's not like toro, but I love it. Sea urchin is one of those few raw foods that does NOT get better in ANY way when it is aged. In my opinion, anyway.

Agreed. Fresh sea urchin is hands down some of the most amazing seafood I have ever tasted.
Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Offline Wattlebird

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2012, 10:34:02 am »
Speaking of sea urchin, I agree, wonderful. http://senseeat.wordpress.com/2012/04/02/sea-urchin/

Offline Justin

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2012, 05:50:01 am »
Right on, glad to hear that some of you enjoy the toro and sea urchin like myself! Just wish it was more affordable.
"You can train long or you can train hard, but you can't do both." -Arthur Jones.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2012, 05:53:53 am »
Yeah, it stinks how many of the tastiest foods are uber expensive where I am--toro (and haven't even seen it yet), king salmon, cherimoya, raw aged sheep cheese, artisinal mead, etc.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk