Poll

How do you typically eat your eggs?

Egg white only.
Egg yolks only.
Egg whites and yolk together.
Egg's whites and yolks most times, but with varying ratios.

Author Topic: Poll: Egg White/Yolk Preference  (Read 12393 times)

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
  • microcosm monkey, navigating inner-space.
    • View Profile
Poll: Egg White/Yolk Preference
« on: February 22, 2012, 07:57:19 pm »
To satisfy my curiosity.

I know many people will probably say its based on instinct and therefore changes, but I just want to know what you typically do so I can gauge the community's overall preference (whether that preference is rational or intuitive, is neither here nor there).

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: Poll: Egg White/Yolk Preference
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 08:15:46 pm »
None of the above. Egg whites and yolk together most times, but not always.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 09:44:45 pm »
There should be a 4th possibility in the poll:
- Eggs' whites and yolks most times, but separately (not mixed together).

For example, sometimes 4 whites and 6 yolks.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 06:39:28 pm by Iguana »
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 03:47:49 am »
No eggs for me!

I love the taste but I feel mentally bad after eating eggs. I think it's the grain-feeding..

Löwenherz

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 11:33:05 am »
my logic is if they come out of the hen with both then they should go into my mouth with both.
-----------

Offline aLptHW4k4y

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 04:30:15 pm »
funny logic.. what about the shell, it also comes out of the hen

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 10:17:28 pm »
you can eat the shell.....!
yolks tho..........:9..thats the new yum face

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 02:04:20 am »
i figure the shell is just there to protect what is inside. i do eat a bit of shell sometimes though. I dont find it as necessary though. I kind of equate it to ill eat the chicken but not the feathers which are just insulation.
-----------

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 02:05:52 am »
i also jsut dont feel like seperating whites and yolks and have no problem eating them together thats just what I do. Also im not surprised to see nobody eats whites only, I would find that extremely nasty. If I had to do one it would definitly be the yolk which i find much tastier.
-----------

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 02:36:11 am »
Also im not surprised to see nobody eats whites only, I would find that extremely nasty.
I've done it sometimes when somebody else ate the yolks and left the whites.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Darwinian Fitness

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
    • Darwinian Fitness
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 01:57:50 pm »
I like the yolk best, but I always eat both together.

I will also eat the shell sometimes.

If I want a snack, I'll just pop the egg in my mouth and start chewing. Sometimes spit out the pulverized shell, sometimes swallow.

I've heard all the time that milk is the only good dietary source of calcium. Baloney.
Hi, my name is Chris.
I help people get slim, fit, and strong.
You can find my website Darwinian Fitness at http://DarwinianFitness.com

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 10:31:33 pm »
I eat yolk exclusively. The albumen (white) is indigestible when raw and inhibits digestion of other foods unless it is cooked. Moreover, they taste unappetizing raw.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 11:02:44 pm »
I eat yolk exclusively. The albumen (white) is indigestible when raw and inhibits digestion of other foods unless it is cooked.
Not for me: it digests perfectly when ingested in the proper amount — which varies widely between almost nothing and a few dozen according to the person and the moment.
Moreover, they taste unappetizing raw.
For you, not for me. We are all different and have different needs.

Cheers
François

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 05:28:46 am »
     I like AV books so, in the beginning, I tried hard to like whole eggs, but they got worse and worse so, I stopped for weeks. I had other fats, but in the last couple of weeks I had hardly any fat and lots of eggs. I started eating the yolk mixed with small chunks of coconut butter and prefrozen fat. I also seasoned it with herbs and salt. It tasted really good and I mixed it with my chicken salad also good. I ate 6 a day for a couple of days. Now I'm out.  :(
     I had a lot of egg whites. I gave some to my pets, cooked some for my daughter, put 1 in my hair. I was over flowing and I wanted to have some cooked so, I did. I fried them, and seasoned them, and I enjoyed them with my raw yolks which I had separated before and mixed with raw chicken salad. I had no digestive distress. I think my body wants cooked foods sometimes. Not because cooked is better, but b/c transition is a tricky thing for mind and body. I have been saying that I cheat with cooked foods sometimes, but I realized that cheat is the wrong word. I'm just listening to my body. I don't crave or even want the egg whites cooked since I had them last. I am missing my raw yolks though and I'm thinking I want to try one egg white when I get them again on  Thurs. I'm even wanting the shell.
   I have had digestive problems from eating cooked meat, at times. I think that helps me to learn too. I had maybe once a week of a cooked food. I still cook for my family and it's a habit to taste. Usually the food smells good and it is time for me to eat so, I'm hungry. I have a bite and think that it taste good but, I have a more primal desire for my raw food. I'm really glad that I like raw food more all of the time. I'm glad that my body is teaching my mind to release judgement and learn acceptance for what is true, if not understood in the moment. Sorry, I got off tract.
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 06:36:10 am »
Not for me: it digests perfectly when ingested in the proper amount — which varies widely between almost nothing and a few dozen according to the person and the moment. We are all different and have different needs.

So true.

Thank you for the clarity, François.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 07:16:45 am »
    I had a lot of egg whites. I gave some to my pets,....
Did they eat them raw or cooked and did they look like they liked them?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 04:16:44 am »
My dog will eat the egg white raw over kibble or lightly cooked. Alone and raw it just sits there. I eat better than her. I'm not dedicated enough to them to be consistant with raw, so I just supplement. They are all curious though. In the beginning my dog refused her kibble so I stopped putting it out . This upset her and she became fussy about raw.  The cats are always fussy.
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 03:26:34 am »
There should be a 4th possibility in the poll:
- Eggs' whites and yolks most times, but separately (not mixed together).

For example, sometimes 4 whites and 6 yolks.

Iguana, if I remember correctly you keep some geese(?). What do you feed them?

I would love to eat some real paleo eggs...

If I eat standard free range grain fed eggs I get the same bad mental reaction and "darkened mind" as from grain fed beef.

Löwenherz

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 12:22:04 pm »

If I eat standard free range grain fed eggs I get the same bad mental reaction and "darkened mind" as from grain fed beef.

Löwenherz

I was under the impression that a little bit of organic grain for chickens is alright since they have gizzards to digest it with. I dont think iv ever had completely grass fed eggs since they are impossible to find here.
-----------

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 09:07:37 am »

Löwenherz
Dorothy seems to be the egg expert in these parts (and I defer to her knowledge and expertise when it comes to eggs), so she may have suggestions (and I'm so glad she decided to join this forum and provide her help and expertise and pleasant nature to us, free of charge, and the last bit is actually what I value most). I'm no expert in anything, so I tend to rely on two layman factors quite a bit--the taste of the food (there's the Instincto connection) and any effects it produces. Duck eggs taste best for me, even better than fertile chicken eggs, and I don't notice any negatives from them, so I suspect that they're best for me, but not based on any solid science (and as always YMMV). Apparently, ducks tend to be treated better than chickens, and I think Dorothy said something along these lines to me, so maybe that has something to do with it.  Duck eggs are more expensive than chicken eggs, however. Generally I find that one tends to get what one pays for, so this doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2012, 08:52:52 pm »

Yes, I believe. I wouldn’t eat any commercial (even free range) eggs.

I have 3 geese, 2 females and 1 male. I don’t feed them: they are just grazing. In the evening, when I feed the hens and ducks to lock them in for the night, I keep the geese outside the coop until the hens and ducks have eaten almost all the unheated and soaked organic millet and oats I give them. So, the geese get very little of it - plus some of my raw leftovers.

Sorry for the delay, I was away in Portugal.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 06:06:13 pm »
I have 3 geese, 2 females and 1 male. I don’t feed them: they are just grazing.

That's perfect! How many eggs do they lay?

Sorry for the delay, I was away in Portugal.

Where have you been? Portugal is magic, isn't it?

If you need some tips or anything else just contact me.

Löwenherz

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 06:06:49 am »
That's perfect! How many eggs do they lay?
Currently none, not yet. No so many anyway, perhaps 10 or 12 per year for each female.

Where have you been? Portugal is magic, isn't it?
Mainly in Algarve, I've liked very much the west coast but the south coast is too much urbanized tor my taste from the Spanish border up to Lagos. Yes, I think your word "magic" is not an overstatement! I'll PM you soon, thanks.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 02:42:28 pm »
egg yolks are truly hydrating food, brain food. I think chicken egg has Omega 3 and duck egg has Omega 6. Please, don't try eating raw egg white, in the long run that might give you a trouble. If you boil the egg white, that is good for some people, but NO to raw egg white
bugs or country chickens

Offline Isthmus

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 02:10:39 am »
I only eat egg yolks, the whites give me huge amounts of gas.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk