Author Topic: diarrhea from raw fish?  (Read 30401 times)

Offline Ferocious

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
diarrhea from raw fish?
« on: May 27, 2012, 05:49:58 am »
This is going to sound gross, so you are warned!

I'm not fully raw yet because raw meat absolutely disgusts me. Fish seemed easier for me to eat than gamier tasting meat.

I ate raw wild salmon one night and woke up in the middle of the night with stomach pains. And I mean stomach, no intestines, like normal stomach aches. It was more like a pain, not an ache. Shorty after that I had to run to the bathroom. Pure liquid came out of undigested fish. And I mean liquid as in spraying out of my ass! This happened for like a day more but slowed down. It was the weirdest experience I've had in the bathroom...

Anyone know what the cause of this could be? It totally turned me off of fish. I never want to eat it again

CitrusHigh

Re: diarrhea from raw fish?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 06:41:25 am »
Your body has to adjust to changes, new foods are a big change. Don't rule something out on that alone. I almost never suggest otc drugs, but in the case of diarrhea I wouldn't blame someone for reaching for Imodium, because the stuff works. Still think it's better to let it run it's course if you can manage that. Some situations it may not be feasible.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 08:40:49 am »
If it makes you feel any better Ferocious - what you described means that your body is working well. If you had just thrown it up that would have been even better - but that doesn't usually happen to me unless I've been 100% raw for a while. When your body so quickly and thoroughly cleanses itself of something like that and you aren't sick afterward it means that your body is very strong. Your vitality shot that stuff out of you fast and furiously - like it should.

You must have had fish with something like parasites. If you were sick and weak it would have had to stay in you longer because you wouldn't have been able to get it out like that. You might have just got sick and worse and worse over time. Your fabulous body though took great care of itself and you. Bam - out it goes. No holds barred. Get any liquid you can from anywhere you can and wash that stuff out the nearest exit.

You did good.

Now, the trick is to understand that not every fish necessarily will do that to you. If fish by it's nature is bad for you, well, then maybe it will happen - but I highly doubt that is the case. If that were a food that you were used to you might say that you just got a bad one - food poisoning from it - and it might not affect you psychologically so much. Don't let this one experience turn you off of a possible rich food source for you - at least not without some real effort to conquer your new association first.

Good body.

Now your mind has to be strong. I would talk to the body and let it know it did good and trust it to take care of you in the future again if necessary - but be strong about trying tastes of salmon again in the future. Of course - give yourself some time first.

I think what I would do is go to a sushi restaurant and order some salmon sashimi. Then you will know for sure that it does not have parasites and it will be a small amount and will have different associations.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 01:05:23 am »
Salmon isn't the best fish to eat raw, even wild salmon.  It's more likely to have parasites, and some people, including me, get nauseous from raw, wild salmon.

I'd recommend tuna or another fatty fish to eat raw.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 01:32:53 am »
Salmon is the only fish I have ever had problems with raw. It gave me a stomach ache that lasted for longer than I would have liked and iv steered clear of it ever since for about 3 months now. Maybe ill try it again but iv never experienced that with other fish. It was wild by the way.

Quite a shame since I love the way salmon tastes.
-----------

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 02:31:30 am »
I'd be so sad if I had to give up salmon.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 12:37:53 pm »
I'd be so sad if I had to give up salmon.

As long as you are eating wild-caught, and it's giving you no problems, I don't see any reason you shouldn't keep eating it.

Make sure it's wild-caught, though. Is it?

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 12:50:47 pm »
Always wild-caught Cheri. Love the way it makes me feel. I think something in it is real good for me.

I've been researching how to raise fish and what they feed fish grown in captivity is so wrong. Didn't realize how bad it was until I looked into it more. Every time I research how to produce my own food it opens my eyes to how bad things have gotten with our food supply.

Offline Ferocious

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 04:14:20 pm »
Salmon isn't the best fish to eat raw, even wild salmon.  It's more likely to have parasites, and some people, including me, get nauseous from raw, wild salmon.

I'd recommend tuna or another fatty fish to eat raw.
Weird because my wife ate from the same fish and was fine. Why do you think that is?

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 12:39:40 am »
wild unfrozen Pacific caught salmon will often have two kinds of parasites..  a small stomach attaching worm that will eventually die off, and tape worms that can grow to twenty plus feet. 

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 04:41:32 am »
If it makes you feel any better Ferocious - what you described means that your body is working well. If you had just thrown it up that would have been even better - but that doesn't usually happen to me unless I've been 100% raw for a while. When your body so quickly and thoroughly cleanses itself of something like that and you aren't sick afterward it means that your body is very strong. Your vitality shot that stuff out of you fast and furiously - like it should.

Fast and ferociously   ;D

Now it worries me that I was fine...I had a few cold like symptoms a week later but that might be unrelated?
It was weird though since basically I just had a slightly stuffy nose and a sore throat...my tonsils felt bad, and they are somewhat "damaged" anyway and I was supposed to have them taken out in 2004 but kept them since they act as protection I heard.
Am a bit worried about the little tonsils....
Nyd byþ nearu on breostan; weorþeþ hi þeah oft niþa bearnum
to helpe and to hæle gehwæþre, gif hi his hlystaþ æror.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 09:48:27 am »
I was furious at my mother for years for removing an important part of my immune system. They are just doing what they are supposed to do - WORK. You might just need some immune system boosting. If your tonsils don't chill out soon there are many different actions/cleansings/herbs you can take rather than having those babies removed. You need them. See - they are helping now!

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 05:10:06 pm »
Oh, so since my tonsils were affected it must mean my immune system is weaker than my husbands? :/
I just ate a little bit of salmon again yesterday and today my tonsils hurt and are really swollen. They have not given me problems since 2004 really. Granted, the salmon was a tiny little bit old..
I might have to stop eating salmon for a little? Or only sushi fresh quality? I never had a problem with sushi or sashimi.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 05:13:55 pm »
My father always regretted being forced to have his tonsils removed, because of the immune system aspect and because it made him snore as a result.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 01:29:33 am »
Oh, so since my tonsils were affected it must mean my immune system is weaker than my husbands? :/
I just ate a little bit of salmon again yesterday and today my tonsils hurt and are really swollen. They have not given me problems since 2004 really. Granted, the salmon was a tiny little bit old..
I might have to stop eating salmon for a little? Or only sushi fresh quality? I never had a problem with sushi or sashimi.

Maybe your body has a different way of dealing or maybe yes, your immune system is not as powerful at expelling things as vigorously would be my guess. Have you been eating a raw diet as long?

Immune systems do heal and get stronger. They also respond to emotions and thoughts. You can literally make your immune system stronger by giving it pep talks. Seriously! If you visualize your immune system getting strong it does.

The thing is because you are getting your signals so late you went back and ate the same offending food when he wouldn't. That's one of the big benefits of a real strong immediate reaction instead of a slower, more internal reaction.

Tyler - I felt so mauled. But luckily later I realized that I could make the rest of my immune system so strong that I could make up for the lack and also avoid toxins in my food - which is what created the "need" to have them removed in the first place. It's a truly horrible feeling having a doctor cut out something that you need when you aren't even old enough or strong enough to make the choice.

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 01:56:44 am »
I agree with Dorothy. I think the reaction was healthy.  I've had a few intense reactions, and a few mild reactions to all sorts of foods. I smell my food and see if it smells desirable. Fish is tough because it is behind a counter. I ask to smell my fish when I buy it. He puts it in a little container and let's me have a good snif. Even old food can smell good. If it is questionable, don't eat it. That's the relationship I'm develping with myself. My immune system is probably compromised but I still trust myself. What choice do I have. In the last few months people around me have gotten sick from cooked and even canned food. We do our best, but there are no quarantines. Fish including salmon is healthy. Get the best source you can and if it smells good have some.
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 01:58:30 am »
Suiren your new picture is lovely
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 06:43:24 am »
Adora
Thank you! Was taken at a medieval fair here. I'm a reenactor.

Maybe your body has a different way of dealing or maybe yes, your immune system is not as powerful at expelling things as vigorously would be my guess. Have you been eating a raw diet as long?

Immune systems do heal and get stronger. They also respond to emotions and thoughts. You can literally make your immune system stronger by giving it pep talks. Seriously! If you visualize your immune system getting strong it does.

The thing is because you are getting your signals so late you went back and ate the same offending food when he wouldn't. That's one of the big benefits of a real strong immediate reaction instead of a slower, more internal reaction.

I have not been eating a raw diet for long (I'm not even fully raw yet), but I grew up eating raw fish occasionally, as well as some raw meat (Sushi, sashimi, German Mett, smoked salmon ), so I was not worried  -[
I have cut out much more carbs lately though ( I used to eat pasta a few times a week), so my body must be feeling a difference. And the fish really was a bit old...

I believe that pep talk can strengthen the immune system. I think I have done it to some degree when my whole attitude towards my "health problems" changed in pregnancy. I really did believe in my own body and it was good I did.

Offline Carne Cruda

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2014, 06:02:58 pm »
I personally seem to get diarrhea as well if I eat a sizeable enough (so, I'm not speaking about 2-3 sushi pieces) portion of raw salmon. 

I might try to eat it again in September, but since it happened in a few instances and weeks/months apart, I honestly doubt it could have been a coincidence.

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2014, 06:53:33 pm »
I've never experienced any of these bad symptoms from raw salmon. But, I've never experienced bad symptoms while eating any raw foods to begin with.
In its purest, unaltered form, healthy food is delicious.

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2014, 07:03:51 pm »
I personally seem to get diarrhea as well if I eat a sizeable enough (so, I'm not speaking about 2-3 sushi pieces) portion of raw salmon. 

I might try to eat it again in September, but since it happened in a few instances and weeks/months apart, I honestly doubt it could have been a coincidence.

Have you tried other kind of fish? I would not give up so fast... try raw fresh oysters too, they are amazing! Best food on earth if you ask me... :)

might be your body needs to adjust too

Offline Carne Cruda

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 07:28:55 pm »
Have you tried other kind of fish? I would not give up so fast... try raw fresh oysters too, they are amazing! Best food on earth if you ask me... :)

might be your body needs to adjust too

Yeah, I don't seem to have any problem with both Oysters and Tuna.

Only with Salmon (and at least a couple of times, I'm pretty sure it wasn't "farmed").

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2014, 11:15:46 pm »
Most sushi bars use farmed salmon,  you have to ask.  And they freeze it to kill parasites.  Pacific salmon Has parasites,  one that attaches to our stomachs and stays there till it eventually dies.  The other, not as common, a tapeworm that grows up to 20 feet or more.   

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2014, 05:14:25 am »
Most sushi bars use farmed salmon,  you have to ask.  And they freeze it to kill parasites.  Pacific salmon Has parasites,  one that attaches to our stomachs and stays there till it eventually dies.  The other, not as common, a tapeworm that grows up to 20 feet or more.

Like ALL of them do? I eat a good amount of fresh, wild salmon (obviously from the Pacific) raw. I've never experienced ANY weird digestion symptoms, throwing up, or diarrhea at all.
In its purest, unaltered form, healthy food is delicious.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2014, 05:33:08 am »
I haven't either, but then I don't eat salmon in sushi bars..   I have though pulled out of fresh wild pacific salmon little white wiggly worms,, the kind that will attach themselves to your stomach. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk