Author Topic: Vague question  (Read 35097 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Vague question
« on: July 13, 2013, 10:24:51 pm »
Let's say you hate your current job, and want to change careers into something wholly different. Let's say that any extra retraining ought to take no more than one year or so, and the new career is  a better-paying one than the one before. What career would you choose? I'd like to have some suggestions from any of you.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Vague question
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 01:10:32 am »
I did exactly that when my children were grown. My old career was spent in front of a computer, by myself, with stacks of demanding paper all around me. Even when my children were adults, I kept plodding along in the same rut.

One day, I was explaining to someone how great my life was, and I stopped dead in my tracks. It was such a lie. Behind my Pollyana-ish attitude, I knew that I wanted a completely different life.

The next day, I listed my house for sale, and one month later I was on the road, heading north in my new motorhome. My vague plan was to get to the country in northern California and see what I could do there.

The events that followed were serendipitous. First, I took some volunteer work at a children's afterschool center and signed in at the county employment office. A career counselor there got to talking to me, and asked me, "What do you really want to do?" I answered her, based on my past position, but she repeated the question and asked me to come back the next week with an answer.

All week I pondered the question, and the next week, I returned with... exactly one thing on my list, and I lacked the education to do that thing. The counselor led me to a nearby school, of which the director of the afterschool program happened to be one of the admissions officers. I completed the 13-month course of study, so in just over a year, I was launched on my current career.

It's been important for me to realize that even the perfect career can have a rocky start, but its ups and downs are easier to take when you know you are pursuing your dream. Remembering that I was low man on the totem pole, I often had to look ahead to resolve beginner's problems.

There would be no way I could name a career for another person - that is something each person carries in their own identity. I would advise to let go of the old to make way for the new, and then I'd make up some corny analogy that sounds like a wise old saying.

"The spring flowers do not emerge until the snow has melted away." - author unknown.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 01:25:54 am »
Computer programming is only going to get bigger, and plenty of careers require programming knowledge, even if you don't actually have to write programs as a daily part of the job.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 02:11:34 am »
Computer programming is only going to get bigger, and plenty of careers require programming knowledge, even if you don't actually have to write programs as a daily part of the job.
The trouble is that I keep hearing one thing, namely that employers loathe programmers and want to bring in (H1B)programmers from India who will work for a tiny pittance in slave-conditions, terrified of losing their worker permits. So, I'm not all that sure if  I should choose something that can be outsourced to some 3rd-world-style  slave-factory. Also, given my current situation, I would probably need to do a 3-year online course with some university to become a programmer. Unless you know of some intensive, fast-track programmer course that takes less long?
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 02:54:02 am »
The trouble is that I keep hearing one thing, namely that employers loathe programmers and want to bring in (H1B)programmers from India who will work for a tiny pittance in slave-conditions, terrified of losing their worker permits. So, I'm not all that sure if  I should choose something that can be outsourced to some 3rd-world-style  slave-factory. Also, given my current situation, I would probably need to do a 3-year online course with some university to become a programmer. Unless you know of some intensive, fast-track programmer course that takes less long?

People from India/China/etc. can't innovate or think for themselves, generally.  They are used to having everything explained to them, and having every single step laid out for them prior to beginning a task. Practically speaking, you need an American or European if the job requires some real decision-making or creativity. Besides, since programmers from the 2nd world need someone to tell them exactly what to do, there will always be a place for Americans/Europeans to manage these people. There are also other jobs that need programming knowledge, but don't involve a lot of actual programming.

You can actually teach yourself to program, if you're really motivated and intelligent. You don't even really need a degree, if you can demonstrate ability.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 05:52:42 am »
If I was going to start over again, and if I had some savings,  I'd write  in depth stories/interviews on very interesting people,  and write or describe how these people move through life, what motivates them, where they find their courage etc.... 

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 09:12:02 am »
CK, maybe you're right. Some online posters were stating that brilliant programmers would not be affected by low-grade Indian workers due to performance.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 10:18:34 am »
Tyler, with all the stuff you write at all experts, in this forum and the yahoo groups... how about writing your own diet books or health books?  There's some money to be made there with your raw paleo diet stuff... being who you are.

I would not get into programming unless your brain is wired to be a programmer.

Ever think of getting into a business yourself instead of being employed?

How about having women and kids?  Lots of my clients who are white / british / american / australian are here because of women and kids... some are family types.  Some not so.

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 11:32:31 am »
If I were stuck with deadbeat boring job I would look into butchering.  I think skillful butcher would be in good demand.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 02:43:55 pm »
If I were stuck with deadbeat boring job I would look into butchering.  I think skillful butcher would be in good demand.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=af2_1359751260&comments=1
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 02:59:05 pm »
Let's say you hate your current job, and want to change careers into something wholly different. Let's say that any extra retraining ought to take no more than one year or so, and the new career is  a better-paying one than the one before. What career would you choose? I'd like to have some suggestions from any of you.

Sounds like a quick fix to me.

I think professions where you can rip people off in broad daylight are the best then customers thankyou!

1) Webdesigner (Sorry GS I'm sure your a good one)
2) Tradesman being plumber/Electrician
2) Physiotherapist/Chiropractor/Natural Therapist (These people are true conmen I'm not sure how they live with themselves)
3) Lawyer
4) Any business that deals in cash

If was in London I would get some sort of small business where I could work from home and get cash, it could be either pest control/fixing old ladies washing lines etc etc. who cares I would be extra charming and say for you 50 pounds cash and give me a call anytime you need anything done mate/old dear etc

Two jobs in a day at the start and your looking good.

Albert Camus

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 04:00:15 pm »
I've read horror stories about people doing fast-track courses to become plumbers or electricians:-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/may/15/fast-track-plumbing-courses
" Ron Paul.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 05:14:57 pm »
Those courses didn't sound legit.

Get a job in the government at least you get go home on time everyday. Thats worth Dollars

Albert Camus

Offline Aura

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 07:23:19 pm »
Hi Tyler,
maybe my suggestion will not directly answer your question but could still be a long term solution for you, you know it.

If you got some money left, why dont you just buy a piece of land and start growing your own food and the rest you sell....
Run various courses about food, diet etc..
Share these place with like minded people,  as a small retreat center..

So you ve got a private business plus a nice place to live, let alone the good food you grow for yourself..

This is what I d like to do with my life but I also suggest it to others because I think it is a great mission.

I do not believe in money and this technocratic system therefore while I would still use some money to get stuff I need that are currently sold  - I would use them as a tool to invest in a kind of self sufficiency and to get out of the mass slavery we are subjected in society.

If you "become" a programmer, a plumber or whatever, I believe you are not becoming anything useful to your real self and the "world"; you are just becoming a skilled slave they need to perpetrate their destructive plans and agenda in this world.

I mean, if that's what you want and you are not bothered by the implications, then... well,  it is hard for me to wish good luck, sorry.. :'(

Offline Aura

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 07:38:50 pm »
I mean, if we read thru the lines of this topic, it seems we are focusing more on "making money" rather than to become, to do something really useful for ourselves and others..

Tyler, you should ask yourself who you are and who you want to be, rather than what to be and what to do.

Getting a "Homer Simpson's job" or whatever job that's convenient in term of money but you do not really care and especially, believe and enjoy, I think it can be compared to a form of legalized prostitution. Have you even thought about that?
How does it make you feel?

It happens to almost everybody but it is very destructive for the human spirit.
We all should try to change that, taking even small steps toward liberation from this non-humane system.
But when we get stuck on money, we are playing their game.

Money are controlled by greedy people. They won't let you to become rich unless you become one of them..

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 03:13:22 am »
I am looking for a change in vocation, after years of eking out a living from the sweat of my brow working construction.

So many opportunities to do good for the world, its hard to know where to start or what calling is worth while.

Im working part time at a jucie bar that is in an alternative wellness center. The center is home to martial arts instructors, message therapist, yoga teachers, dance classes, and earth mother events.

I may have the opportunity to be a massage test subject, and travel around getting worked on and helping others learn couples massage.

Kat Stevens has some good advice on the subject.
If You Want to Sing Out - Cat Stevens

A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 05:10:36 am »
How could you ever do a job you hate ? That looks utterly absurd to me. How can you be good in your work if you don’t care for it ? You’ve got to do the things you were born to do ! Something that is your passion. Then you’ll excel at it.  8)

I wanted to be an automotive engineer but I couldn’t because I was always sick and they kicked me off of the specific schools. When my health was finally better (since I changed my nutrition to something similar to W. A. Price’s) I became a truck driver / trucker and was rather good at it because driving  and automotive technology have always beeen my passion. And now I’m an automotive tech  writer with engineers and tech schools profs as readers. I couldn’t have been a good oenologist, because that’s not was I was born for, even if they gave me such a diploma. Making wine was not my passion. I’ve always done what I wanted to do… and that’s the way it’s got to be.  :)

That said, I think Aura is right. GS and Sabertooth too. Planting fruit trees and raising livestock will be very useful when times get bad… and they are gonna get bad ! >:
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline bookittyrun

• Bear Hunter
  • smart enough to play dumb...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 01:47:29 pm »
i have been fortunate enough to be engaged in a career i am truly passionate about, for twenty years... and the desire to participate in it has compelled me, and allowed me to excel (i can say with the utmost modesty, i am one of the best in my field).  considering: the amount of time one spends at work, as well as the physical and mental investment, i feel it's very important to choose a career path that brings you personal happiness.

whatever you chose, make it something you enjoy, and want to pursue to the end.  personal growth, and skill advancement will be the reward.  if taking some educational leaps can get you where you'd like to be, then go for it.  having the drive to excel will outweigh any "low pay outsource" when it comes to competing for a position.  business can't survive without those employees who can keep it running, there is value to being an asset...  someone who can't be easily replaced, even if those around you can be... 

i say, if you are asking this type of question, you already know the answer.  good luck!
"it'll be just like a sleepover, only we'll be sweaty and covered with grease!"  spongebob squarepants

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 08:32:22 pm »
Yes, that's what I meant!
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 08:44:11 pm »
The sad fact is that I would like to be self-employed in some way but my younger brother has stolen my entire inheritance. I don't have the funds therefore to do what I really want to do.
" Ron Paul.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2013, 10:47:04 pm »
I was self-employed for 40 years, and I believe a person can start on that path regardless of the availability of funds. Without funding, you start more slowly, but in the long run, you build a better business with a slow, thoughtful start-up.

What do you want to do?
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline bookittyrun

• Bear Hunter
  • smart enough to play dumb...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 08:42:50 am »
sorry if there is redundancy in my posts, iguana...

mr durden,
then the first steps to take are to secure whatever funding you require...  do what you need for "temporary" work, and move into your self employment slowly, as accruing funds allow.  talk to those who may be passionate about the same work you desire, who may be able to help with funding in a partnership type situation, until you're ready to branch out.  work out a financial outlook statement, and apply for a loan / funding that is reasonable to repay, and can allow you to get underway.  work in a consulting type capacity as a part time addition to a current job, allowing you to get your foot in the door.  attend seminars and meetings in related areas in an effort to make connections...

without knowing what you're trying to accomplish exactly, your options can be limitless...  help us narrow it down, and change this from a vague question, to a pointed, directed question.  there may be a forum member who can offer more meaningful insight to your dilemma...  i mean, are you truly passionate about computer programming?   i used to work in a cubicle surrounded by very depressed, eye strained, dissatisfied folks who wrote software and programming codes for 9 hours a day...  they all seemed to be locked into a job that allowed them to utilize peripheral skills they acquired while studying something else, but none seemed passionate about it...  an independent contractor who is involved in government work could suit your needs, not quite government work, but decent pay and job security in an environment that is structured and stable...
"it'll be just like a sleepover, only we'll be sweaty and covered with grease!"  spongebob squarepants

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 11:58:36 am »
BKR has a great point.

I feel lucky enough to get to do what I love daily; teach music. However, were the teaching realm not open, I would do something I could tolerate or mildly enjoy, while still being a hard-working employee (as grandpa taught me) so that I could fund my musical endeavors.

Eve also has a good point.

Plenty of people don't have/need money to get their business started. Start small enough while still doing your thing that you are doing now. Have you ever read "Think and grow rich"? Basically, the whole point of the book is those that are successful (rich) are the ones that ignored the "standard" way of doing things and put in their extra hard-ass work. Most of whom started with not a dime to their name.

Life is too short to worry about such things. Go for the things you desire; you are a man-hunter. There is no fall-back plan, you choose to succeed. One of the greatest jazz bassists alive, John Clayton, told me that "If you make a fall-back plan you are planning on falling back to it. Skip the fall-back, go for what you want. Don't consider failure an option. If you have to change something along the way you will." Genius. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Clayton_(bassist)
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 12:20:27 pm »
Planting fruit trees and raising livestock will be very useful when times get bad… and they are gonna get bad ! >:

times are already bad, and times are good. times will get better when things like livestock and fruit to forage are actually though of as part of existence and necessity

don't let money scare you into keeping an ill fitting occupation, dream a little bit and see what you can come up with, when you take that first(of many) leap of faith you might be surprised how nice of a cushion the universe provides

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2013, 06:51:07 pm »
About the only thing I can do self-employed without lots of cash is to sell online. Even ebay is getting too expensive, these days, though.....
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk