Author Topic: Intestinal blockage  (Read 114867 times)

Offline A_Tribe_Called_Paleo

• Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Intestinal blockage
« Reply #175 on: January 31, 2015, 09:14:37 pm »
Sorry, I'm eating Coconut cream, not coconut oil. Says per serving fiber is .3g, 1%

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 31, 2015, 09:30:45 pm »
I think origonal living coconut is in Georgia. And it's definently only the fàt. AV approved company, low temp processing and cold pack shipped to me. Ferments in 5 days.

And how are you fermenting it?
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 31, 2015, 09:50:47 pm »
I made a bulk order(12 15oz jars), and when I spoke to Original Living Coconut employee over the phone, he said it would naturally ferment in 5 days. He recommended I buy a version with honey and lime added to delay fermentation. He said the fermented coconut cream was still edible, but an unpleasant taste. I bought 12 unflavored jars because I didn't know what effects lime and honey would have on the cream.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 01, 2015, 03:40:32 am »
a thought for you to consider.  Over the last many emails, you've directed your attention to all sorts of remedies, or ideal foods etc.   Here you've ordered a Lot of product, which you know will ferment.... It most likely be overwhelmingly easy for you to overeat past what you're body is telling you, simply because you have invested the time and money to have it shipped to you, and the possible belief system  that you've accumulated (from AV?) as what you're to expect health wise.    I recognize this pattern, for I still do it.  So, as I say to myself, simply take notice.

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 01, 2015, 04:17:41 am »
Coconut creme is just a source of raw fat. Just wondering if it's has a laxative effect.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 01, 2015, 04:41:33 am »
Coconut creme is just a source of raw fat. Just wondering if it's has a laxative effect.

The effect of food in moderation is completely different from the effect of food in excess. Also, the ongoing effect of whole foods eaten in moderation may be completely different from the initial effect of whole foods. I'd say that, under conditions of ongoing moderation, fat has a lubricating effect... so once you start eating a moderate diet, try moderate amounts of coconut cream and see what it does to you.

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 02, 2015, 09:18:15 am »
Had a difficult day today. Work was busy and extremely stressful.

Wasn't able to have a BM despite abdominal pain and terrible gas.

Came across this article http://stomachbloating.net/peppermint-essential-oil-uses-for-constipation-and-bloating/

Right before bed Added a little frontier peppermint oil to AVs nut formula. Hopefully have success in the morning.

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 02, 2015, 11:25:17 am »
Only a couple hours of eating AVs formula, I feel terrible..... I'm tired of listening to this man. Idk why he was held in such high regards. Never again will I try one of his bogus cure recipes.

Immediately cutting out all raw honey. Strictly for topical application, no need to ingest.

Small amounts of Fruits, raw meat, and eggs from now on.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 02, 2015, 12:31:11 pm »
Many of AVs recommendations don't suit me at all, though don't get discouraged from trying new things.

Fermented coconut cream sounds gross to me. I like my coconuts fresh, any kind of fermentation on it and I cant eat it. Coconut cream is a wonderful and healing food, but it is best when fresh, and without additives or sweeteners.

It may not be an option for you but I would highly recommend making your own coconut cream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doNk1gamdew

I've just started to make my own, and it is fantastic, though the process is labor intensive. I hope to be able to order bulk coconuts in the near future so I can lessen my dependency on store bought coconut butter.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 02, 2015, 12:43:44 pm »
A note of the laxative effect of coconut.

It depends on the individual, the amount eaten and the tolerance you build up to it.

If you have never eaten a whole coconut and one day eat an entire one, you may experience a heavy laxative effect. This effect diminishes after a while and you build up a tolerance to it. Much like Tom Hanks in castaway.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doNk1gamdew
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 03, 2015, 02:36:16 am »
Are you sure is a good idea for you eat the nut mix? Since nuts are hard to digest it sounds like a bad idea to me.

To keep my bowls working during difficult time I have around a tablespoon each of pysillium husks, slippery elm bark, and potato starch, with black walnut, turmeric and black pepper.

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
  • It's french for "Cockerel"
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 03, 2015, 03:02:41 am »
I read black pepper could irritate the gut. They suggest replacing it with Cayenne pepper, or something milder if you're not fund of spicy food.

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 03, 2015, 04:42:39 am »
I've stayed clear of all spices for about a month now as I read they can worsen IBS.  Fresh ginger root is an exception, I've read it helps constipation sufferers.

My condition seemed to be getting better, at least one BM per day. Past two days it's returned to abdominal pain, bloated feeling, gas, constant gurgling sounds, and constipation.

Situation is getting so stressful I'm thinking of quitting my hockey season/job early and going home. I hate to do that to my team, but I'm not seeing any other options.

I'm really focusing on avoiding laxatives, and trying to build a stronger/healthier gut.
Nut formula definently set me pack in my progress, worst abdominal pain I've felt in awhile. I am removing myself from the PD Facebook page, their suggestions have caused ill effects, which they always swear is some sort of Detox.... The green apple/EVOO helped nicely, but it calls for too much raw honey, which I'm stopping. 

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 03, 2015, 04:47:15 am »
A note of the laxative effect of coconut.

It depends on the individual, the amount eaten and the tolerance you build up to it.

If you have never eaten a whole coconut and one day eat an entire one, you may experience a heavy laxative effect. This effect diminishes after a while and you build up a tolerance to it. Much like Tom Hanks in castaway.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doNk1gamdew

AVs followers swore by coconut cream, it helped the first day but hasn't since. The jars have different consistencies. The first one was more a liquid, the rest have been more creamy. I have more consistent  results with just regular kerrygold gold butter, and it's 5 times less expensive....

My stools seem to dry out if I eat too much fiber or not enough fat. I have to be very careful what I eat.

Offline nummi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 03, 2015, 05:51:25 am »
Maybe potato starch could help somewhat? Food for gut bacteria, thus improved digestion.

I began taking 4 tbsp of potato starch a day (about a week full now), and now seem to be able to handle somewhat larger amounts of plant stuff in general. And overall feeling better.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 03, 2015, 07:34:23 am »
You can almost bet that unless you shelled yourself this years crop of nuts, soaked them for a few days to get rid of anti nutrients,, that your formula was causing you harm.   I wish you could simply stay middle of the road with raw paleo and not veer into so many cures.  Nummi suggestion holds merit, as I think my experience with dark green leek leaves for building gut flora and hence healing that which isn't moving for you.  Your body will cleanse itself over time, but not if you assault it all kinds of 'formulas' that may or may not have worked for others.  Remember when someone swears by some food, often they have replaced that food for possible other injurious foods.  Hence it simply may be the elimination of junk by their allegiance to seeking better health.  Every time you give into a formula you are detracting from finding your own balance.
    and I'll say it again, hundreds of people have benefited from cassia pods.  I personally did them for years, even though I had not constipation. 
     And eating blended nut butters before bed for me would be disaster.  For that matter, blended nut butters period. 

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 03, 2015, 08:57:52 am »
Maybe potato starch could help somewhat? Food for gut bacteria, thus improved digestion.

I began taking 4 tbsp of potato starch a day (about a week full now), and now seem to be able to handle somewhat larger amounts of plant stuff in general. And overall feeling better.

not very familiar with potato starch, mine as well try. Do i need to get a RAW version? is bobs red mill a good quality potato starch. How does it work/how do i use it?

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 03, 2015, 09:03:58 am »
Van,

its taken me awhile to figure it out, but i realize now a 100% raw paleo is the only path, and answer for a permanent fix.

I am most likely quitting my hockey team, and returning to california.

Raw sea food did not seem to digest so well for me. Hopefully i have better sucess with gf beef.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 03, 2015, 10:42:45 am »
With sea food, find that which tastes good to you.  Never eat anything that you don't enjoy, and stop eating before full. 

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 03, 2015, 12:00:52 pm »
tribe i would encourage you to listen to your body.  if i was in your position i would definitely end the season early and get home asap to rest up and work on healing.  any more and it seems like you are just putting  yourself further in a hole. it seems like a lot of really stubborn people, myself included, think they need to be on their death bed to justify taking time off to care for themselves when in reality the most responsible thing you can do for yourself and others is correct the issue as soon as you notice it and are aware of what changes to make.  it seems like you are pretty sure.  a lot of anxiety, pain and disease is caused by holding onto expectations that are clearly unrealistic and detrimental. 

Offline nummi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 03, 2015, 04:11:15 pm »
not very familiar with potato starch, mine as well try. Do i need to get a RAW version? is bobs red mill a good quality potato starch. How does it work/how do i use it?
All potato starch should be raw, I don't think it can even be produced with heat. Unless they later apply heat. I don't really know how they mass-produce it. Personally I use a general potato starch from the store, so far works.

The homemade process is grinding up raw potatoes, putting the mass into a cloth, then pressing all the liquid out to a bowl or something, then adding water to the dry mass and repeating, and repeating. Then letting the watery liquid sit for some hours so the starch would settle down to the bottom.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 03, 2015, 08:15:47 pm »
Why not talk to a psychiatrist/therapist before quitting the team? Quitting could create new stress.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 03, 2015, 09:54:40 pm »
Why not talk to a psychiatrist/therapist before quitting the team? Quitting could create new stress.

something to consider, i had not thought of doing that. Even though ive invested my whole life into hockey the cons are out weighing the pros. Its a difficult decision. My father is in town this weekend, and ill have to talk everything over with him.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 03, 2015, 11:47:45 pm »
I'm more in favor of getting through stressful situations than quitting, and in favor of pulling yourself together, no matter what it takes. Toughing it out will be better "practice" for all the other max-stress times you will face in your life.

What Jessica says is true, too; not seeing you or talking to you in person makes it hard to really know how sick you are vs how much you are stressing yourself out.

But the bottom line: you know the quote, "That which does not kill you makes you stronger."

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 04, 2015, 12:38:48 am »
i guess you have to figure out what is more important.  if you quit the season now, its possible you will be able to stop doing damage to your body and get on the road to recovery.  maybe you will have to figure out how to participate in that lifestyle in a different and healthier capacity for yourself.   

i think seeking counseling might be a good idea, but be sure to do plenty of introspection and write it down.  look at that before and especially AFTER the counseling session just to be sure you are holding true to your own needs and not letting someone manipulate you into or out of a situation.   you might even write down how you feel after counseling and compare notes.   it might even be a good idea to do that before you talk to your dad so you know what is true for you and what is other peoples agenda.

even my advice to you is filtered through my experience, i see you and  your body calling out much as mine did.  i wish i would have taken the time to rest at least 5 years before i did, but i spent 5 years after getting the call burning myself to the bone because i had really ridiculous expectations for myself that i clung onto out of pride and also really just not being kind enough to myself to truly honor what i was feeling.   

i think the "that which does not kill you makes you stronger" quote is pretty harsh, there is no way i will ever be a physically able as i used to be, and i would trade that for some of the mental and spiritual strength i have gained through this journey any day to be honest.  i think physical health and strength do wonders to lend resiliency to the emotional and spiritual body. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 12:53:27 am by jessica »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk