Author Topic: Ioanna's Journal  (Read 137741 times)

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Ioanna's Journal
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2010, 09:31:57 am »
not sure how long i'll be brave enough to keep this posted, but this is me at this very moment as i sit and type here... it's not a before or after, it's 6 months in and just finally on my way.  at my worst, i was more than 25lbs less than my current weight... i don't have any photos from this horrible time.  i'm not really looking to make any outward changes... maybe to get my strength back... just want my digestive system to be well again

You look well and very attractive

This is the first time I read your journal. Funny when you mentioned eating the apple.

I just ate some honey and mango on friday as an experiment and I've been constipated for 4 days now. Before that I would go every morning when I woke up like clockwork. Strange.. very strange.

Also I think that most of us don't realize how much we've transformed.. I was thinking the other day about how slowly I was progressing and then I started reflecting on how I had felt a mere year ago and realized that I've regained almost all of my health. Anywho, don't take things to literally, no one has perfect. You'll be surprised at how many health problems non-health concious people have, they just don't realize it or don't make a big deal out of it.  Nothing in life is ever perfect.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline pc701

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2010, 09:49:23 am »
Has anyone here with GI issues do.Helminthic therapy? 

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2010, 10:02:04 am »

Helminthic therapy is preposterous.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2010, 10:10:20 am »
i'll give that a try, especially if i can't eat my bone marrow :(

i used to have a jar of tallow to keep for dry skin/hair, but it's so hard at room temp that it was difficult to use... i can get the fat for no cost though, so maybe i will try again
Yeah, you have to rub or heat hard saturated fat to get it to melt enough to apply. Another possibility is mixing some softer fat into it like coconut oil or olive oil. That's one way the Yupik people make agootuk--mix liquid seal oil into the hard caribou tallow and add berries.

You look lovely. Do you take Green Pasture's cod liver oil and additional D3? The old fashioned CLO is nasty tasting stuff, but I'm thinking it might help you if you're not already taking it. And as my mother always used to say, remember to make time to get outside in the sunshine and play.

------------

Check out my links on Helminthic therapy before you call it preposterous.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 11:48:45 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2010, 11:11:52 am »
not sure how long i'll be brave enough to keep this posted, but this is me at this very moment as i sit and type here... it's not a before or after, it's 6 months in and just finally on my way.  at my worst, i was more than 25lbs less than my current weight... i don't have any photos from this horrible time.  i'm not really looking to make any outward changes... maybe to get my strength back... just want my digestive system to be well again

Hey! I missed out! that must of been quick!

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Taste Sense

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2010, 05:55:44 pm »
Agree with my visual fella's on the lady's charm.  :P

Ioanna are you eating all organic grass fed? And how much are you eating these days? (by weight)

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2010, 07:14:12 pm »
I thought the Wonder Woman picture was a bit quirky, but now looking at this picture I'd have to say it's not very far off from that cartoon. If you were to pic a sketched cartoon to represent yourself.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2010, 08:14:25 am »
all this time i was afraid of your judgements, lol, but you've all been very kind... thank you!

Most of my dry skin went away when I upped my intake of animal saturated fats,

when i up my fat (has been added suet or bone marrow), my health starts to fall apart, i get scared, and go back to the %fat of the ground meat i've been eating. however, seems if i age the fat along with the meat i can do ok, so i'll try this again as soon as i fully recover from my last bone marrow issue.

I have no idea what this is, I'll have to look this up and get back to you. I've found my though, I'm not interested in complicating my life any more than I need.

how about some pics with full-body armor on
hmmmm, maybe i'll find some courage one of these days. 

Do you take Green Pasture's cod liver oil and additional D3? The old fashioned CLO is nasty tasting stuff, but I'm thinking it might help you if you're not already taking it. And as my mother always used to say, remember to make time to get outside in the sunshine and play.

i took some a couple of times, but i stopped and my digestion remained fine so i haven't taken anymore.  (taste not very appealing, lol) i don't know if it's doing anything positive for me or not? i'd rather eat fish, but that hasn't worked for me... maybe i need to age everything :S.  i do know that this winter has been brutal, and since i hate the cold i am sure that i did not get enough sunshine hiding indoors for the past few months. 

Ioanna are you eating all organic grass fed? And how much are you eating these days? (by weight)

gosh, i'm not really sure... maybe 1-1.5-ish pounds... i don't allow myself to measure or i'll get really obsessive about everything, but i know i eat mostly consistent amount no matter the number of meals or time of day, etc.  sometimes i'm unusually hungry and i can tell i'm eating more than i normally do, and sometimes the opposite that i'm not so hungry.    i'll give you a better answer in time when i'm further along.   

I thought the Wonder Woman picture was a bit quirky, but now looking at this picture I'd have to say it's not very far off from that cartoon. If you were to pic a sketched cartoon to represent yourself.

I have a military friend who looks like 'the rock'... it's in the family, they're all huge and muscular... anyway, whenever i'm out with him people stop us and say we look like we stepped out of a comic... of course, he gets this comment when alone too... i just look like a girl, lol.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2010, 08:36:51 am »
Ioanna are you eating all organic grass fed?

mostly, and try to.. sometimes grain finished bison though

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2010, 08:51:38 am »
Ionna, there a was a time when all I wanted was bone marrow with meat.  Then I couldn't eat it anymore.  I would try to eat it inbetween meals to increase my fat intake, and or keep the marrow from slowing down the digestion of meat. It was hard to eat it alone, even if hungry.  That was a sign to me my body didn't really want or need it.  I went back to back fat. Now I do fine with it and crave it again.  Not sure what this says, but maybe we all need to mix things up more.  Lately, don't tell Tyler, I've been eating a pint of raw cream a day. Yum, it's amazing.  I think even addicting.  But at this point, I don't care.  I also started to enjoy avocado with my meat again.  Paleo people would have eaten eye balls, brains, suet, back fat, bugs, and the list goes on.    And thanks for posting your picture.  Captivating.   I like having an idea as to who it is I'm writing to.  Have been meaning to do the same for some time now.  I agree with Phil, that Vit D thing I think is a big one.  It regulates so many things in our body.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2010, 09:04:58 am »
thanks van!  i do want the bone marrow though and the taste is appealing. and when i've had a high fat% ground beef from the farmer here, i love that too.  i don't know why my intestines can't love it too, lol.

Now I do fine with it and crave it again. 

are both 'it'  referring to bone marrow?

i agree on the vit d, but it's just been too cold :(  it's warming up though, so i'll be outside as i usually am soon.  how do i know if a CLO is working or not?  i can't tell anything good or bad, so i only used it a few times.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 11:05:42 am by Ioanna »

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2010, 11:33:31 am »
The link worked the second time. Definitely good looking!!! athletic as well!
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

William

« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2010, 10:36:22 pm »
thanks van!  i do want the bone marrow though and the taste is appealing. and when i've had a high fat% ground beef from the farmer here, i love that too.  i don't know why my intestines can't love it too, lol.

The farm beef I get from a small town abattoir/butcher leaks blood when thawed, while the stuff from the local stores does not leak any.
I assume that this means that the store gb is kosher, and that might be why I could eat it for so many years without apparent problems, and why I have to dry the farm beef. This is assuming that Dr. Harris' description of an allergen in beef blood is true, and that some drying neutralizes the allergen.

Maybe it's the blood?

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2010, 05:33:55 am »
'it' being  marrow.   Can you eat it plain with out meat and enjoy it, the same quantity that you would eat along with meat.  It does keep a long long time inside the bone in the fridge.  I used to  go through the laborious task of emptying 20 pounds of marrow bones into 'tupperware' containers and refridgerate.  Now,  I just spread the bones out on a wire rack in the fridge and the dry cool air dries the left over meat on the surface of the bone keeping it from going bad or smelling bad.  I ended up throwing out two bottles of green pastures clo because I didn't trust, intuition or not, the burning in my throat after taking it.  Rancid oils have the same burn.  The owner told me it's simply the  fermentation??  I presently take Mercolas spray Vit D.  Here in northern Ca.  I am able to get sun about every third day on the average. 

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2010, 08:26:33 am »
... how do i know if a CLO is working or not?  i can't tell anything good or bad, so i only used it a few times.
I believe it takes longer to work than a few times. I haven't noticed much yet.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2010, 11:19:43 am »
thanks so much wodgina! 

The farm beef I get from a small town abattoir/butcher leaks blood when thawed, while the stuff from the local stores does not leak any.
I assume that this means that the store gb is kosher, and that might be why I could eat it for so many years without apparent problems, and why I have to dry the farm beef. This is assuming that Dr. Harris' description of an allergen in beef blood is true, and that some drying neutralizes the allergen.

Maybe it's the blood?

no idea... all the sources i've ever had, there is blood/juice present in the meat... i take care to add this to whatever i'm eating cuz i am usually anemic... some sources work for me, some don't.. now that i'm aging the meat, all the sources work for me.

Can you eat it plain with out meat and enjoy it, the same quantity that you would eat along with meat.  It does keep a long long time inside the bone in the fridge.  I used to  go through the laborious task of emptying 20 pounds of marrow bones into 'tupperware' containers and refridgerate.  Now,  I just spread the bones out on a wire rack in the fridge and the dry cool air dries the left over meat on the surface of the bone keeping it from going bad or smelling bad.  I ended up throwing out two bottles of green pastures clo because I didn't trust, intuition or not, the burning in my throat after taking it.  Rancid oils have the same burn.  The owner told me it's simply the  fermentation??  I presently take Mercolas spray Vit D.  Here in northern Ca.  I am able to get sun about every third day on the average. 

yes! sometimes it's all i want.  after my recent set back i'm not so brave to eat marrow anymore though. i do have some sitting in my fridge... i can probably eat it now, but i'm afraid :(   i've put the bones on a rack though as you suggested... i thought they would smell, but you're right that they don't. 

still not sure about the CLO... i wish the sun would come out though! 

my dog's favorite spot in the house is right in front of the window where the sun is coming in... she moves to the appropriate room depending on the time of day... even in summer, she loves to take in teh sun!

I believe it takes longer to work than a few times. I haven't noticed much yet.

what and how long you've been taking? 

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2010, 03:09:00 am »
...what and how long you've been taking?  
I'm taking 1/2 tsp Green Pasture's CLO, bought via Dr. Ron's, plus two of Carlson's vitamin D3 gels, for a total of about 5000 IUs of D3 per day. I've been taking it for about several days. Before that I was taking NOW double-strength CLO plus the Carlson's D3 for several weeks.

Offline matthew ryan

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2010, 06:06:23 am »
The owner told me it's simply the  fermentation?? 

lactic acid fermentation, its the lactic acid that causes your throat to tingle/burn

William

« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2010, 11:26:44 am »
lactic acid fermentation, its the lactic acid that causes your throat to tingle/burn

I have consumed lots of things fermented with lactic acid, including sauerkraut and kefir. None of them caused the harsh sensation that caused me to stop taking the CLO.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2010, 07:36:42 am »
this hurts...

so about a year ago i applied for a few jobs that i liked... the one i wanted the most happened to also be near family/friends which made me want it even more... but the budget fell thru for that position, so i took the job 1,000 mi that i have now... which i do love!!... just this morning i got a phone message offering me an interview for the job i originally wanted most, and i'm certain i would get because 1. i worked there before i went to grad school and 2. they offered me an interview for a position i didn't even know existed.  

i've been here only 7 months, i haven't even finished training for my current job yet (will take another month) let alone loyalty time for the training... and i am not even fully unpacked yet, lol. the other position i like better, significantly higher salary, and is near friends/family.

Timing was off :(

At present, I am happy, i suppose i should focus on that?

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2010, 11:12:26 am »
One thing you could consider if you take the new job is repaying you current employer 20%(or something) of what you made.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2010, 11:22:27 am »
Ionna, I'm not an expert in these matters, but I think you could explain to the new employer that you want to treat your current employer well and not leave them in the lurch and either ask your new employer for suggestions or make your own (such as more than the usual notice time to your current employer or waiting until they find a replacement before you leave, or even helping with the training of your replacement, if the new employer does not need you quickly). If it will make you feel less guilty, you could also explain to your old employer the reason you're leaving so soon, but make sure you have written guarantee of the new job before you give your notice and/or reason. I think your new employer will appreciate that you want to treat employers well. It should make them feel even better about you. And feel good about your luck, rather than guilty. You're a good person who deserves good luck.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2010, 02:35:34 am »
One thing you could consider if you take the new job is repaying you current employer 20%(or something) of what you made.

I wouldn't do that, that says that I devalue my own work... I have great pride in my work, have produced great work, and earned my paycheck.  Besides, I'm not vested yet so they will get back 80% of any vested amounts in my name.

If it will make you feel less guilty, ...

Do men ever feel guilty?... or is that only woman's way of thinking?  yes, I do feel guilty if I leave so soon without some loyalty 'payback'. Men don't think this way?.. they just move upward and onward to their best/be the best provider for family needs?

And feel good about your luck, rather than guilty. You're a good person who deserves good luck.

Thank you for that!! 

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2010, 03:21:41 am »
Do men ever feel guilty?... or is that only woman's way of thinking?  yes, I do feel guilty if I leave so soon without some loyalty 'payback'. Men don't think this way?.. they just move upward and onward to their best/be the best provider for family needs?

Total feminist claptrap! Yes, men can feel guilty in certain situations, and, similiarly, some women I've  known personally over the years,  have had definite psychopathic personalities and were utterly incapable of feeling guilt or any  similiar emotion.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2010, 03:32:28 am »
Total feminist claptrap!

hahaha, ok... just wanted to be sure i wasn't being 'girly' about the whole thing... i didnt mean as a level of consciousness though, i meant in the pursuit of goals... a little different?  

anyway, i'm pretty sure that i will stay... i am happy with what i am doing at present, so maybe in a year or two i will have an 'open door' again...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk