Author Topic: Ioanna's Journal  (Read 137745 times)

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Ioanna's Journal
« Reply #250 on: June 13, 2011, 09:02:43 am »
report back! what does he say about plant fats?.. they can store micro-nutrients, but not animal fats?
Will do. I'm equally, if not more, curious. I view them as some of the most wise elders I have around. Each time we meet I learn more. To see them take this position is thought provoking to say the least.
You are talking about omega 6 ratios? I certainly want to know their view on that.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 13, 2011, 09:50:50 am »
report back! what does he say about plant fats?.. they can store micro-nutrients, but not animal fats?

He seems to think that saturated fats are a problem, at least the animal versions like butter, so he may be more positive about monounsaturated fats, though I'm not certain. He now favors a low-fat, high-carb macronutrient ratio (with apparent emphasis on cooked tubers and rice), whereas in the past he supported a low carb emphasis. He apparently encountered problems on the low carb approach after some time on it and found he did better on a low-fat, high-carb approach, so I agree that he is sincere and never doubted that. I asked whether roots and tubers that are edible raw might be better than cooked tubers, but he didn't agree and instead argued in favor of cooking, IIRC.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 24, 2011, 10:43:42 am »
Here's our new health care provision:  We must participate in a health screen sponsored by the insurance company and then call a health coach to discuss the results, OR pay $30 extra per month.  Argh!!!!

So the health screen is a quick thing; they measure height, weight, waist, then calculate BMI.  Then total cholesterol, HDL, and glucose.

Here's the last one I did in January 2010:

we had this health risk assessment at work today. it's voluntary, but the incentive to do it is monetary, so I got one done... i have nothing to compare these numbers to, and i wish i did....

cholesterol: 191
HDL: 78
cholesterol:HDL ratio: 2.5

that's really all they did, plus blood pressure.... i don't remember... it was a quick 10min thing

not sure what any of this really means with nothing to compare, but i'm certain my cholesterol went up a bit, thought it could be HDL?.. anyway, i don't care... this is almost 8 months of RAF.

edit: I forgot one... glucose... was a fasting level for me... the test was done around 830am and I had last eaten around 7/730pm the night before... 91.

and now June 21st 2011:

Cholesterol: 155
HDL: 58
fasting glucose: 82

So, I was freaking out bcz I thought my cholesterol would be super high and then I'd have to listen to a "health coach" lecture me about my cholesterol level, but it's lower... why is it so low?   -\

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 24, 2011, 09:06:48 pm »
Anything else changed like your BMI? are you thinner this year?

Your low density lipids? are at higher ratio now which is good right?
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 25, 2011, 05:22:01 am »
...why is it so low?   -\
Half the drop was due to drop in your HDL. Have you been eating less of pastured and wild animal fats?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: June 25, 2011, 09:54:08 pm »
yeah, all my bmi numbers are the same so i don't think i'm any thinner.

and, i think i'm eating the same amount of fats... this year i added organ meats and seafood, and they are not very fatty.. that would be the only decrease.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 27, 2011, 05:43:43 am »
It's hard to tell from a single reading. You get a better sense from multiple readings and from knowing what the differences in your eating, supplement and sunlight variables were during the intervals between the tests. You could also google HDL and see what raises and lowers it and see if anything jumps out at you.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 11, 2011, 09:59:57 am »
I know this has been discussed before, but looking for suggestions to increase vitamin D.  Annual blood work shows that mine is quite low.  I've been indoors since November, but I was hoping diet would help in this regard.  Should I just wait for the sun to come out since that should be (literally) tomorrow?, or should I do something more?

Thanks, all!

so it's end of summer, and i had vit d tested again... it's higher, but still too low. my doctor gave me a prescription level vit d supplement to take for 8 weeks, then i'm supposed to get tested again. 

thoughts or advice??

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 11, 2011, 12:53:26 pm »
so it's end of summer, and i had vit d tested again... it's higher, but still too low. my doctor gave me a prescription level vit d supplement to take for 8 weeks, then i'm supposed to get tested again. 

thoughts or advice??

Yeah...ignore the prescription supplement, try Now brand vitamin D-3 softgels, 2000 IU.  Try about 1 a day for a week, see if you notice any changes in health, mood, etc..  They work really well for me.  You do have to have a decent amount of fat in your diet for them to help, though.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 11, 2011, 02:30:29 pm »
Take enough sunbaths…! Avoid all synthetic vitamins. In natural foods, vitamins are embedded in extremely various complex organic structures, while the synthetic ones are chemically pure (eg refined sugar) and can be toxic in the long term even if they sometimes provide a temporary boost or well-being.

By the way, I’ve been thinking for a long time that I should once denounce this idea commonly expressed here : "experiment and see what works for you." Because it’s impossible to notice the long-term harmful effects of a stuff and certain foods such as coffee, beer or even some drugs can cause a short-term sensation of well-being while being particularly noxious in the long-term.

François
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 11, 2011, 07:24:10 pm »
Take enough sunbaths…!

that's what i did all summer, though. now summer is about over, now what.

Yeah...ignore the prescription supplement, try Now brand vitamin D-3 softgels, 2000 IU.  Try about 1 a day for a week, see if you notice any changes in health, mood, etc..  They work really well for me.  You do have to have a decent amount of fat in your diet for them to help, though.

thanks, i'll look for those.  but both are synthetic vit d?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 11, 2011, 07:31:32 pm »
2000 IU is a rather low dose. The Px dose would likely be much more than that.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #262 on: September 11, 2011, 10:46:26 pm »

thoughts or advice??

It's still summer, right?  Just go out under the sun more often.
I bet he makes a nice cut from those supplements.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 12, 2011, 12:08:52 am »
Herring are high in vitamin D, BTW, though I rarely see fresh herring for sale and the canned, jarred and packaged versions tend to be high-heated and have junk in them, though you could wash off the junk. I am able to get fresh raw sardines at my market when in season. Unfortunately, they are gutted, so I can't get the vitamin-D-rich livers.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 12, 2011, 07:11:35 am »
a good reason to take more vacations!  :D

i am out much of the day at the lake with my dog when i don't have work (weekend) and i'm out morning afternoon and evening for about an hour each on workdays.  apparently that is not enough. 

I bet he makes a nice cut from those supplements.

no, they're very cheap.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 10:50:13 am by Ioanna »

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 12, 2011, 10:23:25 am »
Surprised noones mentioned blue ice cod liver oil.

http://www.greenpasture.org/public/Products/CodLiverOil/index.cfm

That got me through the winter.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 12, 2011, 10:40:57 am »
that's what i did all summer, though. now summer is about over, now what.

thanks, i'll look for those.  but both are synthetic vit d?

AFAIK, both are created from exposing sheep lanolin to ultraviolet light.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 05, 2011, 10:24:03 am »
a quick hello and i hope everyone is doing well!!!

i have been away due to a family emergency, but feeling a bit better now.

i have never been a fan of dairy, but the last month or so i've been doing very well with butter and ghee. i tried it once as an indulgence, but i felt like it did a good thing for me and have been eating some since.  the only thing is that it has to be unsalted.  it feels so healing that i feel like i can eat cookies if i wanted to and be fine.  i have no idea why this works for me??  of course i'm not interested in cookies, but if i can a banana, avocado, coconut or nuts on occasion i will be ecstatic :)

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 01:19:58 pm by Ioanna »

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 05, 2011, 10:50:23 am »
Glad you are back and hope your family situation settled well.
Butter - you are sooooooo lucky it sits well with you because that is some YUMMY stuff!

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #269 on: December 05, 2011, 10:58:18 am »
I give fermented butter oil and fermented cod liver oil to my 10 year old boy.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: December 05, 2011, 01:24:26 pm »
thanks, dorothy!! :)

gs, is fermented butter oil something you buy or make?

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 05, 2011, 01:31:00 pm »
i forgot to add that i started eating liver on it's own.  i cut it into tiny pieces, add that to my red meat that is cut into small pieces and maybe add a little butter to that.  i've been adding more and more liver... i'm surprised i like it so much.  i kinda crave it.

i go back and forth on number of meals, but don't like eating one meal per day.  i don't like eating that much at a sitting i guess.  i like eating a few or so meals throughout the day.  it's just easier to eat once or twice to avoid eating in public.  i get full quickly though, and i like just eating a little bit at a time.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #272 on: December 05, 2011, 10:26:59 pm »
thanks, dorothy!! :)

gs, is fermented butter oil something you buy or make?

Something I buy here.
http://www.greenpasture.org

I bought for my child who was extremely sick.  He is almost well now.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 06, 2011, 12:03:16 am »
good to hear. My take after six years reading all kinds of excuses is that true healing is when your system is 'hearty' and not overly sensitive to various natural foods, combinations of foods OR on the other end of the spectrum: extreme sensitivities to things like natural sugars etc... (all when eaten in moderation of course and not regularly - which suggests perhaps unhealthful adaptation)

Often those diets which have problems with this idea are also low in probiotic foods, natural salts, natural fats, vitamins like K, D (hey!) and bitter foods like herbs, and also low in natural strenuous activity that helps create what the alt-folks call 'digestive fire'

I have a gut feeling youre already on that road to eating those other natural foods.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 12:14:15 am by KD »

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 06, 2011, 04:04:38 am »
good to hear. My take after six years reading all kinds of excuses is that true healing is when your system is 'hearty' and not overly sensitive to various natural foods, combinations of foods OR on the other end of the spectrum: extreme sensitivities to things like natural sugars etc... (all when eaten in moderation of course and not regularly - which suggests perhaps unhealthful adaptation)

Often those diets which have problems with this idea are also low in probiotic foods, natural salts, natural fats, vitamins like K, D (hey!) and bitter foods like herbs, and also low in natural strenuous activity that helps create what the alt-folks call 'digestive fire'

100% agree.  Very, very well put.  I'm not quite as anti-carb as you are, but your comments about having a "hearty" digestion are excellent.  I think you're extremely right about probiotics, fats, salts, fat-soluble vitamins, and regular exercise being very important for digestion fire.  People with 'sensitive' digestions after years of raw food diets are most likely starved in one or more of those.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk