Author Topic: Matt Stone HED - Insulin spikes do NOT cause insulin resistance??  (Read 93816 times)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Matt Stone HED - Insulin spikes do NOT cause insulin resistance??
« Reply #225 on: October 08, 2010, 10:04:41 am »
I agree with matt stone on the need for carbohydrates.

From a healer's perspective, increasing metabolism is important, and this can be done pretty quickly with a high everything diet, even with cooked.  My professional healer friend Vander does this all the time with his patients and it works.  Yes, even for cancer it works.  Cancer is not always a fungus.

Back to healing people with insulin insensitivity, it is well known in the healing community that nutrition may be lacking in insulin insensitive people /  diabetics.  The easy solution is to give them those minerals they lack and then they get to process insulin properly.  Easy as pie.

For example, you diabetic type 2 people can just munch on bitter melon fruit every day and regain your insulin sensitivity.

Another healer I know recom mends blendering the bitter melon every morning and be done with it in one glass.

So for those of you who do want to experience the benefits of eating carbs again, just eat bitter melon.  If you cannot find it in your markets, just get the bitter melon tea and drink it regularly.

Don't like bitter melon? Juice your greens.

I believe it is important we are flexible for our own long term survival.  We should be able to swing from low carb to high carb as the need arises.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #226 on: October 08, 2010, 02:27:08 pm »
Interesting info, Hans89; I had suspected as much re RZC and adrenal fatigue, given my past negative experiences with RZC. Raw low carb did not however affect my past adrenal-related issues to any extent.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 08, 2010, 04:28:38 pm »
It could also explain Yuri's breakdown he described in his diary since intermittant fasting is also supposed to be taxing on the adrenals.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #228 on: October 08, 2010, 04:43:37 pm »
It could also explain Yuri's breakdown he described in his diary since intermittant fasting is also supposed to be taxing on the adrenals.
The strange thing is that Intermittent Fasting actually improved my adrenal-related health problems. I guess everyone is different.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 09, 2010, 12:46:33 am »
And I assure you there are a lot of other unfortunate people who were crippled by intermittent fasting.
It’s time to Eat Like An Animal!

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 09, 2010, 10:07:05 pm »
Matt's latest post. Quite interesting.
"Insulin also works on an axis with the catecholamines – which includes cortisol. When insulin goes up, adrenal activity falls. When insulin goes down, adrenal activity picks up. Keep insulin too low for too long and you run the risk of adrenal fatigue. You are also likely to increase the activity of cortisol (which, unlike carbohydrate ingestion, actually DOES cause insulin resistance) by keeping insulin levels suppressed, which increases insulin resistance, decreases testosterone, decreases fat burning, and otherwise takes you ever-closer to metabolic syndrome."

Anybody know why should the adrenal activity increase when insulin production is down? What's the point?

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 10, 2010, 02:22:18 am »
Anybody know why should the adrenal activity increase when insulin production is down? What's the point?
It is possible that the adrenal hormones (cortisol and adrenaline) are required for gluconeogenesis.
It’s time to Eat Like An Animal!

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 10, 2010, 05:22:52 am »
This may help:

http://www.newtreatments.org/hypo.php

Interesting, but doesn't really explain why.

It is possible that the adrenal hormones (cortisol and adrenaline) are required for gluconeogenesis.

The fact that cortisol is required does not necessarily mean it will lead to adrenal fatigue.

I remember Aajonus talking about how cooked foods are very taxing to the glands. Maybe some people have them a little "fried" and they experience those symptoms. Carnivores don't get adrenal fatigue and neither did original Inuits (or at least nobody complied).

Offline Alomonger Pete

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 10, 2010, 06:36:59 pm »
This guy's site is well worth checking out: http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=459

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 31, 2010, 10:13:49 pm »
Quite interesing
Does Insulin Deserve A Bad Reputation? The Low-Carb Experts Weigh In
http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/does-insulin-deserve-a-bad-reputation-the-low-carb-experts-weigh-in/9458
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 01, 2011, 05:33:45 am »
I read some of the responses and I like the fact that Mark Sisson focused on the bigger picture of what actually works for most of his clients and readers rather than the reductionist debates in the blogosphere over which is the most important single factor - insulin or leptin or calories or something else (like Mark, I have been noticing increasing claims in the blogosphere that leptin is the main villain rather than insulin). He then does concede that he focuses on insulin, but says it's only because he finds this focus works for his clients rather than to claim that insulin is the only factor or to win debates in the blogosphere.

I also like that Tom Naughton focused on what actually works for him and how the growing fad that starches like rice, potatoes and pasta work for everyone didn't work for him. Chris Masterjohn also recently noted that he tried sweet potatoes and didn't fare well on them: http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Paul-Shou-Ching-Jaminet-Perfect-Health-Diet-Review.html. So it seems that one size does not fit all.

People like easy magic cures and sound bites and diet book authors are basically forced to prescribe a single approach for everyone, but what it seems to boil down to is each individual finding out what works for them. If there were one thing I would like to see more emphasis on in Paleo and traditional diet books and blogs I think it would be this and warnings along the lines of "the basic diet approach I recommend in this book/blog may not meet your specific needs and you may need to customize it to better suit your individual needs, which means doing the hard work of tracking the effects of foods on your body, listening to how your body responds to foods, and educating yourself on recognizing signs of food sensitivity and nutrient deficiency, learning about potential dietary pitfalls, getting exercise and sufficient sleep, learning about posture and other health topics and maintaining a rich social life." Being assigned work to do is not what people want to here, but in my experience it has paid dividends.

On the other hand, it may be good that someone somewhere is debating the minutiae in case it generates some new insights and some of these debates spark my curiosity now and then. :) One thing I wonder about from this debate is whether the success some (not all) people (such as Matt Stone) report from intermittent leptin refeeds or overfeeds could be due to some sort of natural fractal effect along the lines of how some (not all) report benefits from intermittent sprinting, intermittent heavy-weight-lifting, intermittent fasting, etc.?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk