Author Topic: Autism explained  (Read 136895 times)

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Autism explained
« Reply #175 on: February 02, 2012, 01:58:37 am »
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 10, 2012, 01:35:12 am »
This is a link to another thread I started. When you go to the linked video in Pakistan, read the articles below also.

http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/off-topic/militarized-highway-vaccination-checkpoints/new/#new
Cheers
Al

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 10, 2012, 02:01:52 am »
I love this! Autism can and IS fixable! The cure is already known! woah  :)
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 10, 2012, 11:13:00 am »
I love the enthusiasm, Raw-Al, and thanks for the stuff from Dr. Campbell-McBride, but I suspect that diet is a much larger factor in autism than vaccines. In my own experience, dietary change cleared up my brain fog, despite a typical history of vaccination. Don't worry, I don't discount completely the potential influence of modern vaccinations and other modern factors, but I think vaccination greatly misdirects people from the primary cause of autism--modern diet.

People like Jenny McCarthy and others change their childrens' diets with great success, but seem to assume nonetheless that vaccination is the primary cause. How odd it is that even in a dietary forum like this one that vaccination seems to still be pointed to primarily, over diet.

I suspect that one factor is that it's much easier to just avoid vaccinations than to dramatically change one's diet, into which are tied so many cultural influences.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 11:23:01 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 12, 2012, 09:55:28 am »
Phil, I completely understand your thoughts. Personally I have no idea or experience on which to draw. I am just looking for things as they are mentioned here and on the Raw paleo yahoo group. Basically a scattergun approach. See what sticks.

It is very encouraging that there seems to be a certain amount of light at the end of the tunnel for those with the issue. It has to be heartbreaking for a parent.

As far as the mercury goes we had our filling removed and did notice a slight change in the way our stomachs felt and a slight mood change. Now the ADA is fazing out  mercury fillings so things are looking better.
Cheers
Al

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 12, 2012, 11:58:28 am »
Yes, as the use of mercury fillings and thimerosal continue to decrease, if mercury is truly the primary cause of autism we should see a marked decline in the rate of autism, correct?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 12, 2012, 02:14:01 pm »
I love that autism is cured and explained. I'm greatful. My kids can live their lives to the fullest. Some day, I'll have my own kids.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 26, 2012, 09:50:55 pm »
Cheers
Al

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 27, 2012, 12:05:02 am »
I couldn't read this entire thread so please forgive me if this particular point has already been made - but I want to make sure it is added:
Not very long ago cerebral palsy patients were considered to be mentally retarded because they were not able to properly use the muscles to communicate. This lead to an entire group of human beings being treated in horrific ways. Imagine yourself being trapped in a body that simply could not communicate with others when desperately desired. When it was realized that some CP patients were not only normal but exceptionally intelligent the treatment of CP children was changed and the lives of these poor afflicted souls improved.

Now there is a disease that is afflicting more and more people it seems - almost to epidemic proportions as I see it - and one girl has been able to break through the communication barrier to let the world know, like in CP, that there is an intelligent person in there. All autistics patients can now get better care and be treated with more respect if this particular case is considered properly - not just passed off as retarded and dismissed.

Another aspect of this girl being able to communicate is that one of the biggest challenges to treatment is that the patient cannot report how a treatment is affecting them. If this child were to try a new diet, they would be able to report if there are any benefits or not.

I saw a whole documentary on this girl before so didn't watch your video Al. This is really big news.

Most afflictions of the central nervous system for the longest time were considered to be genetic and hopeless. Many cancers have been considered genetic and hopeless. We know so very little about how diet affects these diseases considered to be hopeless and "genetic" because there simply has been no monetary incentive to do experiments.

I have personally seen too many genetic and hopeless diseases improved if I can't use the word cured by alternative treatments (after all cure is not really a word that is used in medicine because saying someone is "cured" opens up the possibility of medical malpractice suits) to write off anyone with any infliction as hopeless. Modern medicine after all is a system based upon relieving symptoms, not curing - that's all that most medicines are intended to do - so if changing one's diet can relieve symptoms without the negative side-affects of medications that is enough to make diet worth considering as a viable treatment. Diet however is not a considered treatment usually in medicine - simply because no one can make much money with it. However - individuals that find their way here need to be supported in their desires to try a change of diet no matter what their affliction is because no one can tell them it can't or won't work. There is too much anecdotal evidence that diet can help at least the symptoms of too many "incurable" illnesses for it to be ignored by someone suffering.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 27, 2012, 12:58:15 am »
Haven't tried any of it. Tomatis sounds reasonable for general hearing improvement. It's also quite good for Tinnitus sufferers. Various famous people including Sting and Yehudi Menuhin speak very highly of it. Some people use the training for learning new languages as it trains their ears to hear sounds that are in different languages which are unlike their own language. Opera singers also take the training as they can have issues with hearing and you cannot sing or speak what you cannot hear.

A copycat company formed by someone who was a patient of a Tomatis practitioner back in the 1970's, uses the technology but in a basic format without the complete understanding and implementation of the total system or equipment. They sell their copied technology from Australia in what I consider an overpriced format.

Basically what they do, you can do it in the privacy of your own home for free (in my case)

Get some good quality recording of classical music with lots of high notes such as violin etc - Mozart, Bach, Vivaldi for instance.

Take the files and do one of two things depending on what equipment you have. If you are a musician (Skinnydevil) you run it through a graphic EQ and dial out the frequencies 8000 and below. But you start by dialling out the lowest frequencies say on the first or second song then gradually dial out the frequencies so that after say 1/2 hour you have totally knocked out 8000 hz and below (bass notes)

Then you take more files and knock out the 8000 and below till you have a few hours at least. The more different files you have the better as you will go nuts if you have to listen to just a few pieces over and over again. Then with the last recording you do the reverse of the first half an hour. Put this on your iPod and listen to it at least a couple or three hours a day or as long as you can stand and are able. You can also listen to it as you are going to sleep. I am thinking you need a minimum of a few hundred hours of this to get results depending on the person.

You can also do the same filtering on a computer program like I have called "Sound Studio". You go to Sound Studio/Filter/Graphic EQ and dial it out. Keep the file large, ie do not compress so the integrity of the sound is there.

It will sound very high like a very cheap record player without a bass speaker. This is what you want. Also make it louder in the right ear than the left. Dr. Tomatis determined that persons with left ear dominant have issues (honestly I can't explain that one as I forget, but it is in his books.) He says that people who are left handed can be changed through the training of the right ear to be dominent.

In the Tomatis technique they try to get a recording of the mother's voice for some of the treatment, as that is the voice we heard in the womb. They also use a headset with a bone conduction speaker.

The rest of the info can be gotten online.

Hi Al - I play the violin. Vivaldi, Bach and Mozart do not have a lot of high notes (that's why I can play them lol) - but they are all baroque period composers and that in itself seems to be of particular importance to healing. When played at a particular tempo one is put into a particular brain state with this music. I adore Vivaldi. I actually credit the violin to my salvation as a child. My violin has beautiful overtones. When I put my ear right up against my violin in the higher registers (must have good e string) it is all the overtones that feel the most healing. It's not just the higher register notes themselves.

I wonder why you would have to modify the music so much as you instruct. Why not just listen to a really good violin playing solo? 

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 27, 2012, 02:08:31 am »
I couldn't read this entire thread so please forgive me if this particular point has already been made - but I want to make sure it is added:
Not very long ago cerebral palsy patients were considered to be mentally retarded because they were not able to properly use the muscles to communicate. This lead to an entire group of human beings being treated in horrific ways. Imagine yourself being trapped in a body that simply could not communicate with others when desperately desired. When it was realized that some CP patients were not only normal but exceptionally intelligent the treatment of CP children was changed and the lives of these poor afflicted souls improved.

Now there is a disease that is afflicting more and more people it seems - almost to epidemic proportions as I see it - and one girl has been able to break through the communication barrier to let the world know, like in CP, that there is an intelligent person in there. All autistics patients can now get better care and be treated with more respect if this particular case is considered properly - not just passed off as retarded and dismissed.

Another aspect of this girl being able to communicate is that one of the biggest challenges to treatment is that the patient cannot report how a treatment is affecting them. If this child were to try a new diet, they would be able to report if there are any benefits or not.

I saw a whole documentary on this girl before so didn't watch your video Al. This is really big news.

Most afflictions of the central nervous system for the longest time were considered to be genetic and hopeless. Many cancers have been considered genetic and hopeless. We know so very little about how diet affects these diseases considered to be hopeless and "genetic" because there simply has been no monetary incentive to do experiments.

I have personally seen too many genetic and hopeless diseases improved if I can't use the word cured by alternative treatments (after all cure is not really a word that is used in medicine because saying someone is "cured" opens up the possibility of medical malpractice suits) to write off anyone with any infliction as hopeless. Modern medicine after all is a system based upon relieving symptoms, not curing - that's all that most medicines are intended to do - so if changing one's diet can relieve symptoms without the negative side-affects of medications that is enough to make diet worth considering as a viable treatment. Diet however is not a considered treatment usually in medicine - simply because no one can make much money with it. However - individuals that find their way here need to be supported in their desires to try a change of diet no matter what their affliction is because no one can tell them it can't or won't work. There is too much anecdotal evidence that diet can help at least the symptoms of too many "incurable" illnesses for it to be ignored by someone suffering.

It's true. I never got the help I needed when I was at my worst.

I remember eating junk foods all day, and being heavily sedated. I remember later, trying supplements and that helping.

Then now, being virtually symptom free eating a combination of raw paleo and regular foods.

It's a shame diets haven't been explored.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 27, 2012, 09:04:48 am »
Hi Al - I play the violin. Vivaldi, Bach and Mozart do not have a lot of high notes (that's why I can play them lol) - but they are all baroque period composers and that in itself seems to be of particular importance to healing. When played at a particular tempo one is put into a particular brain state with this music. I adore Vivaldi. I actually credit the violin to my salvation as a child. My violin has beautiful overtones. When I put my ear right up against my violin in the higher registers (must have good e string) it is all the overtones that feel the most healing. It's not just the higher register notes themselves.

I wonder why you would have to modify the music so much as you instruct. Why not just listen to a really good violin playing solo? 
If you go to the different sites that explain his theory and read the book that I read (I forget the name) it is explained how Tomatis (an ear doctor) arrived at simulating what a baby would hear whilst in the womb. This is what it is based on. He suspended a microphone (in a plastic covering) into some water which was as close to what he could dream up to be like what a womb would create.

Then he played music in the surrounding room and recorded what the microphone heard.

This is why he eliminates the aforementioned frequencies.

BTW I love Baroque also.

I was a rock n' roll/folkie/bluesy type as a youngster but I like everything now.
Cheers
Al

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 27, 2012, 12:06:47 pm »
Thanks for the explanation Al. I guess if it works - it works. I'd probably hate having to listen to that though - glad I don't have to.

But is there a reason to pick those composers? I mean if you want the high register baroque music is the worst choice because in the baroque period the fingerboards were shorter so there aren't the high notes that came later.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 27, 2012, 07:05:37 pm »
Not sure. I didn't pursue the topic too deeply.

Here is a link to the descendants of the therapy. I cannot comment on it being good bad or indifferent BTW.
Cheers
Al

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 28, 2012, 01:17:11 am »
Not sure. I didn't pursue the topic too deeply.

Here is a link to the descendants of the therapy. I cannot comment on it being good bad or indifferent BTW.

Thanks for being willing to talk about it - it sounds very interesting and I'd like to learn more - but did you forget to add the link or am I missing it?

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 28, 2012, 01:25:07 am »
Thanks for being willing to talk about it - it sounds very interesting and I'd like to learn more - but did you forget to add the link or am I missing it?
RPD has not improved memory LOL

http://www.tomatis.com/
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 29, 2012, 05:24:50 am »
The fact of the matter is, no one knows the real cause of autism. There are probably different causes of it and sometimes diet can improve it and other times it does nothing. Autism is a mystery but I also believe genetics are involved in it.

Why do you believe it?
Cheers
Al

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 29, 2012, 01:07:00 pm »
Someone can have a genetic propensity without the environment activating it.

If you have an ethnic background that is prone towards alcoholism for instance - what if you never take one drink?

My genetics the doctors would say make me likely to get diabetes - yet I'm one of the only people in my extended family tree that didn't get it because I stopped eating sugar when I became an adult.

I am also genetically poised to get heart disease and cancer as most everyone in my family contracted and/or died of those things. I believe that those genetic propensities will only be activated if I eat a diet that will allow for them to happen.

One thing that is not taken into consideration is that besides genes a parent also passes to their children dietary practices, lifestyles and  toxic physiological wastes accumulated from diet and environment.

Scientists don't usually look at diet and environment therefore all they have at their disposal as causative can be genes therefore as many things as can be are piled up under the category.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 29, 2012, 09:04:09 pm »
My wife was told by a Jyotishi that she should have serious visual issues, (glaucoma and poor vision) by this time in her life and was surprised when she didn't.

However what she neglected to tell him was that she was headed for that when we took up sungazing. (She/we were/are also doing Bates methods exercises daily.)  All that bad prognosis has gone out the window, which goes to show that genetics may be an indicator of a tendency, by is not a life sentence.

Regarding the diabetic propensity in your family Dorothy, there was a study done by a dietician (I think there was more than one and I think there was one done in Canada also) in Australia with aboriginals. They took a number of them who were suffering from a wide variety of serious illnesses with a cornucopia of allopathic medicinals being fed to them, placed the people in the wilderness with emergency foods only, the idea being that they return to their traditional fare.

The participants found the medicinals were unnecessary and their health normalized. Everything from diabetes to high blood pressure etc. vanished.
Cheers
Al

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 30, 2012, 02:09:01 am »
My wife was told by a Jyotishi that she should have serious visual issues, (glaucoma and poor vision) by this time in her life and was surprised when she didn't.

However what she neglected to tell him was that she was headed for that when we took up sungazing. (She/we were/are also doing Bates methods exercises daily.)  All that bad prognosis has gone out the window, which goes to show that genetics may be an indicator of a tendency, by is not a life sentence.

Regarding the diabetic propensity in your family Dorothy, there was a study done by a dietician (I think there was more than one and I think there was one done in Canada also) in Australia with aboriginals. They took a number of them who were suffering from a wide variety of serious illnesses with a cornucopia of allopathic medicinals being fed to them, placed the people in the wilderness with emergency foods only, the idea being that they return to their traditional fare.

The participants found the medicinals were unnecessary and their health normalized. Everything from diabetes to high blood pressure etc. vanished.

Al - does your wife recognize that the sun-gazing and bates made that difference even though she neglected to tell the astrologer that she had been headed that way? I was sun-gazing for awhile but stopped - I really have to start that again - it felt so good!

I'd love to read more about that Australian aborigine experiment. Do you have any links that would speed up my search for more info on that? That's the perfect example of what I was saying. Thank you. 

I really do believe that most of our modern diseases and our new epidemics can be mostly avoided with diet and lifestyle changes even if they are considered to be genetic by doctors - because if you think about - every disease really has to be "genetic" because if our genes did not allow for the possibility of the disease we would not be able to get it at all - any disease. It is impossible for us to get certain diseases that other species get. In order for it to be possible at all to get a disease there first has to be the genetic makeup allowing for it in the first place.

Why would certain chronic diseases be increasing so rapidly in certain populations? Have the genes changed? No. There has to be other factors that are allowing those particular genes to show their weakness.

Your aboriginal example is poignant - and if you think about it - so is just the increase in cancer, heart disease and diabetes. The genes are the same as they were - so what is it that makes so many people get those diseases now if they are genetic like I've been told? Why would autism be increasing so rapidly if genes are what are to be blamed?

I've seen how arteriosclerosis and cancer and diabetes can be reversed by diet even if the mainstream medical establishment claim that diet is not a "cure" .... I'll just wait her patiently until someone is able to figure out how to do the same for autism.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 30, 2012, 04:09:04 am »
Al - does your wife recognize that the sun-gazing and bates made that difference even though she neglected to tell the astrologer that she had been headed that way?

I'd love to read more about that Australian aborigine experiment. Do you have any links that would speed up my search for more info on that? That's the perfect example of what I was saying. Thank you. 

She knows the gazing was the reason her eyes improved. The Bates method slowed down the advance of the issues.

I do not have a link to that study, but the good news is I read it here many moons ago so maybe someone here knows.

When a doctor says a disease is genetic what they really mean is the don't know what to tell you. Or specifically they can't dream up a reason why the pill they gave you is useless or that the only thing they can do is surgically remove part of your body.
Cheers
Al

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 30, 2012, 04:21:06 am »

genetic disease  a general term for any disorder caused by a genetic mechanism, comprising chromosome aberrations (or anomalies), mendelian (or monogenic or single-gene) disorders, and multifactorial disorders.

.... but I think that what doctors usually mean in layman's language when they say that a disease is genetic is that it has been passed on from a parent or that it runs in families.

If I got say cholera - that would not be considered genetic as no one in my family that I know of has ever had cholera and cholera is not associated with chromosomal mechanisms or damage.

But since heart disease and cancer and diabetes all run in my family - that would be considered genetic.

This is where things get really messy because fried noodles and cabbage, lots of dumplings, sugary deserts, obesity and not exercising also run in my family.  ;)

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 01, 2012, 01:33:41 am »

genetic disease  a general term for any disorder caused by a genetic mechanism, comprising chromosome aberrations (or anomalies), mendelian (or monogenic or single-gene) disorders, and multifactorial disorders.

.... but I think that what doctors usually mean in layman's language when they say that a disease is genetic is that it has been passed on from a parent or that it runs in families.

If I got say cholera - that would not be considered genetic as no one in my family that I know of has ever had cholera and cholera is not associated with chromosomal mechanisms or damage.

But since heart disease and cancer and diabetes all run in my family - that would be considered genetic.

This is where things get really messy because fried noodles and cabbage, lots of dumplings, sugary deserts, obesity and not exercising also run in my family.  ;)
Your last statement is a bit more accurate. Eating junk food, doing no physical activity or other stressors are more likely to be the real cause. That's why I say that genetic is just a story that Doctors tell when they have no clue.

One close relative gets sick periodically so a doctor might conclude that they have a genetic disposition......... BS, it happens every time they go away, eat exotic unfamiliar, cooked foods and get little or no sleep.
Cheers
Al

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 01, 2012, 01:57:12 am »
Your last statement is a bit more accurate. Eating junk food, doing no physical activity or other stressors are more likely to be the real cause. That's why I say that genetic is just a story that Doctors tell when they have no clue.

One close relative gets sick periodically so a doctor might conclude that they have a genetic disposition......... BS, it happens every time they go away, eat exotic unfamiliar, cooked foods and get little or no sleep.

We are in perfect agreement.

I like trying to understand things from the medical perspective/definition in order to see the holes.

The actual definition of genetic disease makes some sense. How doctors use the term (I believe incorrectly or more accurately - in a way much less useful) as "runs in families" makes little sense - because so very many things besides genes run in families.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 15, 2012, 09:28:46 am »
Interesting theory in video 1 approximately around the six minute mark.
http://frex.com.au/lda.html
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 09:58:35 am by raw-al »
Cheers
Al

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk