Author Topic: New Daniel Vitalis interview about raw food, evolution..  (Read 40733 times)

Offline Caveman

• Bear Hunter
  • Man of the cave
    • View Profile
New Daniel Vitalis interview about raw food, evolution..
« on: February 19, 2011, 11:06:01 pm »
http://www.thebestdayever.com/news/podcast/podcast-52-david-wolfe-and-daniel-vitalis/#comments

Here's a really recent interview done by David Wolfe, discussing some very interesting questions with Daniel Vitalis.

There's a small part about evolution and the commonly accepted Darwinian theory, and once again, I completely agree with Daniel. I still really haven't heard him say anything which I disagree with, which is very surprising to me.

I'm still listening to it and really enjoying it..

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: New Daniel Vitalis interview about raw food, evolution..
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 11:33:22 pm »
vitalis is a genius

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 07:17:07 am »
He's definitely the most inspiring "Diet Guru" I know of right now.  Maybe he'll write the first Raw Omnivore book?

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 08:06:14 am »
I heard that Durianrider is challenging Daniel to a face off.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 08:33:25 am »
He's definitely the most inspiring "Diet Guru" I know of right now.  Maybe he'll write the first Raw Omnivore book?

There are several raw omnivore books out there already: Aajonus Vonderplanitz, Guy-Claude Burger, and Thijs Klompmaker aka "Wai Genriiu".

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 10:50:33 am »
I don't believe he's raw any more. I was quite surprised to see him argue in his "The Great Health Debate" video that human beings have evolved to adapt to cooking. Presumably no one here would agree with that.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 02:03:43 pm »
Is the great health debate on youtube?
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 05:21:18 pm »
I don't believe he's raw any more. I was quite surprised to see him argue in his "The Great Health Debate" video that human beings have evolved to adapt to cooking. Presumably no one here would agree with that.

I and my kids certainly heal on raw food.
The advice I give to people who got well were all about incorporating raw food, raw fat in their diet.

Are there any HEALERS amongst these debaters?

Cousens? Who else?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Caveman

• Bear Hunter
  • Man of the cave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 10:47:20 pm »
Is the great health debate on youtube?

No, it was a one time event. Every debate was up on the site for 24 hours, I think. To listen to them now, you need to pay, but that's not worth it in my opinion.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 07:55:00 am »
Cousens? I thought he was vegan? Although he did agree with Mercola that raw eggs are a "great source of protein" (why do so many people focus on the protein in animal foods and ignore what hunter gatherers value more--the fat?) but said that he doesn't eat them because they are gross or something like that, I think. Cousens also argued that eating animal foods hurts one karmically, IIRC.

You may find some of GHD interview on Youtube, but Gianni now requests that people pay to see the videos (http://www.renegadehealth.com/ghd/blog/) after the initial 48 hour free viewing, although maybe Youtube videos might convince you to buy the GHD CDs. The "debates" were mostly just interviews of each of the gurus with them summarizing their views and not actually debating much. Vitalis did very well, I thought, except for his surprisingly enthusiastic embrace of cooking, a few minor errors and maybe a touch of unintended condescension. A couple of the things that people thought were good points by Vitalis were:

> Many of the plant foods that vegans/vegetarians eat were not nearly as palatable in their wild form.
> No large human society has ever tried veganism, so vegans are asking people to experiment on themselves with a largely untested diet. The closest thing is the vegetarian Hindu society and they eat lots of (raw) dairy products.
> Have you ever seen a squirrel (or any other wild animal) with crooked teeth? No, nor do skeletal remains of Stone Age humans show crooked teeth, yet we modern humans are plagued with crooked teeth and not even enough room in our jaws for our teeth.

Unfortunately, most people see the choices as raw vegan vs. cooked omnivore and don't even consider that raw omnivore might be an option. Daniel seems to have skipped over raw Paleo omnivore and instead embraced cooking and dairy along with the meats.

Kevin Gianni asked T. Colin Campbell about raw meat and Campbell simply dismissed it out of hand. I do recall Mercola discussing raw eggs but forget whether he covered other raw animal foods or not.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 11:09:05 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 09:17:27 am »
Cousens? I thought he was vegan? Although he did agree with Mercola that raw eggs are a "great source of protein" (why do so many people focus on the protein in animal foods and ignore what hunter gatherers value more--the fat?) but said that he doesn't eat them because they are gross or something like that, I think. Cousens also argued that eating animal foods hurts one karmically, IIRC.
They focus on protein more for two reasons IMO. First is the lack of protein in raw and especially fruitarian diets, other than RAF which is still not even close to mainstream raw. It is also largely ignored because all of the studies that supposedly show that fat causes cancer and heart disease blah blah blah.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 09:38:52 am »
Yeah, and I think the second reason is probably the biggest. It has caused a ridiculous fat phobia.

Here's Vitalis' comment on cooking from the Great Health Debate: "we must look at the fact that Homo sapiens developed cooking before they were actually Homo sapiens. I mean it really comes to us from Homo erectus. So our ability to reduce and process food with fire really did allow us to adapt in a different way than other species."
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 11:09:41 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 01:05:12 pm »
Here's Vitalis' comment on cooking from the Great Health Debate: "we must look at the fact that Homo sapiens developed cooking before they were actually Homo sapiens. I mean it really comes to us from Homo erectus. So our ability to reduce and process food with fire really did allow us to adapt in a different way than other species."

He never specifically said he cooks his meat, but has said that vegetables are best cooked.
Since January I added in cooked veggies to raw meat and dairy. Gained 20 lbs of muscle and skin is much better.
You groupies may enjoy these videos.  ;)  ;D

http://www.naturalnews.tv/v.asp?v=6F67B0AAD53EFDB438257ADCA63EF0A0

http://www.naturalnews.tv/v.asp?v=9612BDB9A13DD9766B5E2368596D6A87

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 08:37:28 pm »
Thanks for the links. So is he eating all his meats raw and just cooking the veggies? Do you agree with him that other than young greens, veggies are better cooked? If any food is better cooked, I would have to guess mature, fibrous and antinutrient-rich veggies and bones. I might consider eating more cooked mature veggies if it weren't for the fact that I don't tend to care for the taste or digest them very well. I know that according to Wrangham and others, we are supposed to be better adapted to cooked veggies and digest them much better, but for as long as I can remember I preferred the taste of raw or lightly steamed or sauted veggies to thoroughly cooked veggies. I used to secretly wish that my mother would serve raw carrots or broccoli instead of boiled ones. Am I the only one?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 09:12:27 pm »
I only find vegetables to taste better when cooked if they taste really foul when raw. It's only the antinutrient-heavy raw vegetables like broccoli etc. that I can only eat in cooked form, if at all.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Louna

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 10:30:25 pm »

I am curious to know how much meat he eats, cause maybe if he doesn't eat lots, he may have a lot of vegetables andfinds difficulties to digest its.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 11:58:22 pm »
Thanks for the links. So is he eating all his meats raw and just cooking the veggies? Do you agree with him that other than young greens, veggies are better cooked?

Your very welcome, there are a bunch of DV interviews on that web site that were previously unknown to me.
I think he takes the Mercola route, he probably eats cooked and raw but does not want people think he is nuts. Remember the bison video, back in the beginning stages I felt that way. Just wanted to share the knowledge, regardless of who thought what. Now that my brain is significantly rebuilt, I don't think it is that great of an idea to push into normal people's faces. Maybe he now understands raw meat scares people  :D So he tells people just to cook less. This is what I tell most people. I wouldn't want them to gain an edge on my anyway  ;)
Yes I do agree with him. When I was doing strict raw paleo eating a salad was a literal pain in the butt. Even when I ate cultured veggies, they would slow down my gut flow. I do fine with just raw meat(not very good with fruit at all) but I wanted to gain weight, sprouted/boiled wild rice/potatoes, or steamed veggies helped incredibly. I would say that 20 percent calories would be cooked veggies and properly prepared wild rice. 5 percent of diet being cultured veggies which I eat with the cooked. The rest would be raw animals foods. That is what I have been doing since mid January. All good thus far.

Offline Caveman

• Bear Hunter
  • Man of the cave
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 12:07:20 am »
He never specifically said he cooks his meat, but has said that vegetables are best cooked.
Since January I added in cooked veggies to raw meat and dairy. Gained 20 lbs of muscle and skin is much better.
You groupies may enjoy these videos.  ;)  ;D

http://www.naturalnews.tv/v.asp?v=6F67B0AAD53EFDB438257ADCA63EF0A0

http://www.naturalnews.tv/v.asp?v=9612BDB9A13DD9766B5E2368596D6A87

Very interesting! Do you really think the cooked vegetables helped that much? What sort of vegetables and how did you cook them?

EDIT: Ok, I see you steam veggies and are into wild rice as well.. you really have not experienced any digestive problems from the rice and veggies? Do you follow food combining rules?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 12:33:16 am »
Given that Vitalis is so stupid as to arbitrarily give credence to Wrangham's fraudulent claims, he has no credibility, as far as I am concerned.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 01:20:20 am »
Given that Vitalis is so stupid as to arbitrarily give credence to Wrangham's fraudulent claims, he has no credibility, as far as I am concerned.

I am not sure who Wrangham is, but I know that raw vegetables use take more energy for me to digest than it is worth. When I eat cooked veggies I actually feel net positive effects from them.

Very interesting! Do you really think the cooked vegetables helped that much? What sort of vegetables and how did you cook them?
EDIT: Ok, I see you steam veggies and are into wild rice as well.. you really have not experienced any digestive problems from the rice and veggies? Do you follow food combining rules?

If I eat veggies (Kale, cauliflower, beets, etc) they are typically boiled in spring water. I rarely eat those though as the whole hybridized non medicinal aspect has planted itself deep in my brain. As I would prefer to have them cultured which is more of a bacteria food. Fermented broccoli sour kraut is awesome. Wild rice however I eat on an almost daily basis, covered in butter, also with some cultured wild mustard greens I harvested last month.

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 02:28:23 am »
Why is it that i hear from a lot of people that they do not 'bulk', or gain weight, unless they eat some kind of plant foods as well?

Is 'bulking' something that isnt good for you and you're kinda getting fat with muscles, instead of fat?
or does most peoples bodies just run more optimal adding plant foods into their diets too?
That's not paleo.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2011, 02:36:09 am »
I would say that some cooked or cultured plants are best for me. Though it has only been 1.5 months.
There is very little fat on my body.
I feel that it just gives me something to burn so I can use more meat for building.
Still eating about 500grams to 1 kilogram of raw meat each day, with duck eggs and dairy.
If I get fat I would not be surprised, but it would be easy to notice and switch back to RPD.
If I feel toxic I would also stop, but no such feeling yet...

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2011, 08:15:35 am »
It doesn't really seem to me that people have sorted through much of his actual information. I don't know how much raw meat he eats presently and how much he cooks, but since his break with raw veganism which was years ago I'm pretty sure he has embraced the power of cooking as a tool in terms of increasing nutrition. I'm not sure if he believes nutrition is more available in meats after being cooked, but I suspect he is speaking more in general as applied to the role of fire to make certain types of foods edible. He is also (I believe) saying that this can be far more of value even than many diets consisting of 100% raw food, (including animal food diets). This to me is not the same as saying cooked diets are better than raw..its that cooking plays an integral roll in optimal health (for him).

In a nutshell what it seems to be his motivation other than whatever is working for him..is to dispel some relatively artificial ideas about health, particularly between cleansing and building approaches.

replacing: limiting your exposure to harmful foods as a path to health
with: eating a wide spectrum of healthful foods in abundance

Raw foodists love to shun certain science, but then will present all kinds of information on paper that conflict with peoples actual results that one can also measure with science ironically.

What we see is on paper that eating raw foods like fruits or whatever would add all kinds of nutrients and vitamins to our diet, but when you actually dissect both the science and the anecdotal evidence the net results is not so simple or good. Discounting all the modern reasons for such in peopels systems...as presented over an over ...true people living in nature will opt for cooked starch sources over the actual available wild fruits even when they exist in abundance. Many of which are basically inedible and even if their tart taste is appealing..its nearly impossible to use foods like wild grapes or berries as any sustainable calorie source. Because of that, I think the simplest response to why he's 'skipped over' raw omnivore, is that such a thing is impossible living outdoors in Maine for instance. Its sounds paradoxical, but If you are eating plant food year round in nature, you are going to have to use some kind of processing.

In a way I think he is just pro tools, ie, not just cooking but other processes of fermentation and the like. People if they choose can avoid cooking and use some kind of raw fermented foods or vinegars to help digest and assimilate the maximum amount of nutrition from the herbs, fungi, and weeds and seaweeds that are readily available in nature today as in the past. It could be true that If people are eating the actual clean wild ruminant diets that their ancestors ate, perhaps these can become less than necessary. But why did people employ them anyway when they had access to such things? People can ruminate all they want and toss things up to addictions or passed down habits but obviously it isn't so simple. Even someone like Aajonus who believes pretty much all cooking to be harmful, sees some value in processing plant foods that can either supply minerals that we need generally that is lacking in modern foods, OR have some roll in healing/rebuilding of unhealthy people.

I'm not sure if he believes at all in abstaining from cooked food anymore, but for me raw food and abstaining from cooked food is basically a kind of strategy to reverse illness, but this is not the same as a diet of the highest nutrition. For me I believe a diet that is 100% RAF with some chosen plant foods can possibly be the best diet, but it certainly is not for every goal as even many of the people on this forum point out.

at a certain point, it becomes confusing because virtually everyone seems to 'get by' on next to no real nutrition, so its hard for say someone eating far less crap and eating raw food is suffering from lack any specific type of nutrition found in processed plant foods, but obviously if people can employ them to superior results then the initial argument that says a 100% raw diet is always superior is somewhat flawed.

Personally, i'm against the idea that if you take a regular unhealthy American, that just giving them 'real food' like WAPF or whatever that this will be the ticket to health, but the people that exist as HGs or pre agrarian societies certainly were adapted to cooking in some respect that they did not suffer the diseases of civilization. That by and large I think is enough of a goal for most people I think.

Its not to say that further back in history people were not much healthier, but that many such people had envious health and vitality. So again while raw foods might be crucial for health, its silly to argue that people were unwell just because they cooked foods when the evidence does suggest cooking made homo sapiens what they are for better or worse. Wrangham's conclusions obvious have bias, but the root seems to be accurate in what DV is expressing: that all of homo sapiens have employed cooking having begun actually with homo erectus. Cooking (all types) certainly can be linked disease or toxicity, but malnutrition also causes disease as well as a vast array of other psychological or physiological factors. People eating raw food diets certainly are not devoid of nutritional issues, so the idea that cooking can't possibly help play a roll to correct that is just blatantly false. It might be entirely unnecessary, but ultimately this is a untested and unproven battleground as suggested.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2011, 08:55:27 am »
Daniel spoke more specifically about how he thinks cooking is particularly important for the harder-to-digest vegetables in this video that Actup provided a link to: http://www.naturalnews.tv/v.asp?v=6F67B0AAD53EFDB438257ADCA63EF0A0

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2011, 09:02:18 am »
No, the idea that cooking can play a role in health is blatantly false. You are making all sorts of obviously false assumptions. You , for example, state blindly that  HGs following Weston-Price-style cooked diets in the past were super-healthy, which just isn't true - I mean, all these native peoples died like flies when exposed to diseases transmitted by colonials, hardly a sign  of a super-healthy immune-system, plus actual data such as Mann's study on the Masai(re atherosclerosis in the Masai), and other data I read on the Maori, for example(I had a few past threads on that subject), show quite clearly that they had all sorts of health-problems .  I mean I know some people worship Weston-Price as some sort of infallible deity but he was just a mere mortal who made many mistakes/errors of assumption. He did a whirlwind tour of the world without any serious checking of his claims.

Then there's that nonsense claim that cooking got started with homo erectus. Only that fraud Wrangham dares to actually make that claim, among scientists - the vast majority of palaeoanthropologists state clearly that cooking occurred c. 250,000 years ago, which is actually about the same time as archaic homo sapiens appeared, which was not much different from modern humans, evolutionarily-speaking(Wrangham is merely a chimp-researcher by actual past expertise given his CV so cannot be remotely trusted). More to the point, PP has already cited that point about giant pandas which demonstrated that a creature can evolve into a different species while still remaining unadapted to a particular diet(in this case, bamboo), despite millions of years of evolution. If the giant panda could not adapt to a raw food like bamboo after such a long time, then it is very highly unlikely that humans have adapted to cooked foods.

The other point is that there isn't anything that a cooked diet can provide that a raw one can't. At the very least, a raw diet can provide the same benefit as a cooked diet, and, in most cases, will be superior to a cooked diet.

Whatever the case, we can rest assured that if DV is so craven as to believe in Wrangham's unscientific drivel, then he cannot be taken seriously any more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk