Author Topic: Freelee's brother jumped ship.  (Read 46452 times)

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
Re: Freelee's brother jumped ship.
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2012, 09:51:31 am »
    Their fruit is mostly ripe and they don't cook it. It has simple sugars. They don't usually eat anything else. Many get quite thin. Did you try it? I ate only fruit for a number of months. I did lose weight. Never more than ten pounds weight loss in total from it, start to finish each time.  I hear if done long enough they gain muscle from it? I don't feel it's for me, and I cannot feel good about recommending it. I stopped; because it felt like time to stop.

Back in the days while I thought fruitarianism was the ideal, I tried several times to do it. I never succeeded in doing it for even one week. I got sick of the sweetness of fruits even though I loved/love fruits in general.

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2012, 09:53:39 am »
Joy: rawzi can correct me if she thinks im wrong, but peoples' genes tell their bodies whether or not to turn carbs in to fat. If you are prone to weight gain then id guess fruitarianism would inflate you like a balloon. But if youre like me, you can eat carbs all day every day without gaining anything (except disease!).

So fruitarianism is not always responsible for over-skinniness.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2012, 11:34:40 am »
So fruitarianism is not always responsible for over-skinniness.

I'd expect not, but I'm going off of theoretical knowledge and the carbohydrate hypothesis of obesity, which is how I feel about the issue. I don't have the personal experience to back it up because I came from SAD to RVAF, never trying any kind of veganism or otherwise. That's why i said RawZi might correct me if I'm wrong.

Your propensity to gain weight is written in to your genes. Then if you do things that feed that lipophilic tissue, like eating lots of carbs, or messing with your metabolism/hormones, or all of the above, it increases.

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2012, 12:37:37 pm »
I've never heard of anyone gaining weight on RVF, maybe we could do this by living on baby coconuts : ), or if we ate lots of greens and did workouts we could gain muscle weight. I cannot see how anyone could put on weight just eating fresh raw fruit. Dried fruit with its different sugar profiles might have more chance.

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2012, 03:17:20 pm »
Adora, CT in warm weather is so nice, I do it too and warm up in the sun after. So good. The river is around 55 degrees F these days so quite cool still! The longest I stayed in was 25 minutes but usually I do just a few minutes.

Adora, Dorothy, Miker, PP, GS, Thoth.. thank you so much for your very kind words. They do warmed my heart. It is so easy to see all that is imperfect about me.. cause I do have a lot of that too sadly.. and blame myself for the failure of my marriage. That makes it hurt even more. But you all help me to see the other sides too. I do not feel like having any relationships anymore ever right now but it might change over time. Maybe after one or more years I have healed and am ready for letting someone in my heart again. Ready to trust again. I wish so cause I loved to be a wife and I wold love to be a mother too. Best jobs ever... But for now.. I need to be alone.
So much good advice from you.. I am so blessed to be in such a community with such great spirits.

Inger

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2012, 03:41:38 pm »
I agree with Dorothy, that freelee and her unsubstantiated claims are a menace. Her and her type are responsible for leading many really weak minded people down the wrong path.

Miker
I believe the high level of simple sugars in a frutarians diet causes muscle wasting and other serious health problems in the majority of people..

Some people may have a bionic pancreas that can handle excessive sugars without developing diabetes, but still they cant avoid the wasting of muscle due to excess sugars combine with a lack of protein and fatty acids.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/548373-muscle-wasting-glucose/

Inger
I've missed your presence on the forum, you were always a real sweet heart.  I was joking with my other half earlier today about how if she ever left me I may just run off to Norway.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2012, 01:35:48 am »
Inger if you wanted to start a healing journal then people here could help to support you in what ways we can. It might be good to journal your good days and bad. Might be too personal. Just a thought. Emotional healing is at least as IMPORTAND as diet. I go 20mins in by tub with ice cubes. They all melt. I don't know the temp. Then I ride my bike in the sun, it solved the challenge of the rewarm.
    I was a pretty constant 140lb as a raw vegan but my belly was very  bloated.  I was really full of myself and judgemental of others. I read books to my kid about how it was wrong to eat animals. She felt so guilty and her growing body wanted meat so bad I did give it to her. I stayed raw vegan though and she still remembers the constant judgement.
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2012, 02:50:42 am »
I'm starting to wonder if it's because I changed my diet for intellectual reasons and then got personal guidance from meditation - not from judgment or religiosity or any person acting as a guru - that I did so well as a vegan. I liked my body and felt really good - but never once told anyone that they "should" do what I was doing or that they were less than for not doing it. I was the only one that I knew doing what I was doing and there was no internet - so it would be outrageous hubris to think that my one experience was necessary THE truth. If someone asked me I told them what I ate, but never assuming that what I was doing was best for anyone else let alone everyone. I have always felt like I was experimenting and STILL feel like I'm experimenting.

What scares me the most about certain raw food circles like Freelee's is their desire to withhold information when something doesn't work. The censorship is what is the most dangerous. That's what I like about this place - the lack of censorship. If something works or doesn't work for an individual - no one has their finger on the delete button. I feel like most of us here realize that we are experimenting.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2012, 03:02:31 am »
all my love to you inger...
my dearest friend is going through a similar situation, but i think you hold much wisdom in taking time to heal your heart.  its like a blessing and curse letting go of relationships, but it does free up time and energy to work on the relationship with oneself.

much love to everyone here:)

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2012, 04:38:28 am »
Hi Inger, your ex must be very foolish to throw away such opportunity of lovely healthy mother and starting a family.
Maybe you need to make a trip to New Zealand to take your mind off him  >D

Hi Dorothy, what do you think is the easiest way to meditate?

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2012, 04:54:25 am »
The easiest? Never heard that question before. Let's see ......... probably involving sound. Not sure it's the best or most effective - but I would say it's the easiest - and it's a great place to start. You can get one of those "put you into a different state" recordings. Mantras are easier than other ancient techniques too. Sound drowns out the mental chatter, helps focus the mind and can change the vibrations of the body rapidly.

At this point I do what I call "inner work" rather than meditation.

Supposedly anything you can do with "mindfulness" could be considered a meditation. If there is some activity that you do with all of yourself thinking of nothing else where you feel at one with yourself, the activity and everything around you as you do that activity - that also could be considered meditation and would be the easiest place from which to broaden into another meditative activity. That would be easier than most meditation techniques too.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2012, 05:01:00 am »
Inger - I'm curious - was your husband into the raw paleo diet, health conscious or on a journey similar to yours? 

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2012, 08:47:11 am »
I'm starting to wonder if it's because I changed my diet for intellectual reasons and then got personal guidance from meditation - not from judgment or religiosity or any person acting as a guru - that I did so well as a vegan. I liked my body and felt really good - but never once told anyone that they "should" do what I was doing or that they were less than for not doing it. I was the only one that I knew doing what I was doing and there was no internet - so it would be outrageous hubris to think that my one experience was necessary THE truth. If someone asked me I told them what I ate, but never assuming that what I was doing was best for anyone else let alone everyone. I have always felt like I was experimenting and STILL feel like I'm experimenting.

What scares me the most about certain raw food circles like Freelee's is their desire to withhold information when something doesn't work. The censorship is what is the most dangerous. That's what I like about this place - the lack of censorship. If something works or doesn't work for an individual - no one has their finger on the delete button. I feel like most of us here realize that we are experimenting.

I'm beginning to finally accept the value of pluralism in the raw foods movements. Listen to all extremes with a discerning ear and take it all with a grain of sea salt. There is this idea that perhaps even raw vegans have some inherent value in the great magnificence of things.

People on both sides of this epic debate may not be completely forthright about all the effects of their diets. One must look on with compassion for the deceiver and realize they are acting out of some need to be right, no matter what. There is a great struggle that all of us have to undergo and no one wants to be on the losing side. Even those people who are thriving are still striving for something beyond. This striving is built into the code of life and its magesty will guild our destiny.

I stand on the side of giving this life force the best chance of thriving and forging the changes necessary to create the "most well balanced /well adapted being" possible. I believe for my personal well being that a diet of mostly animal flesh provides the best opportunity for reaching the peak of my genetic potential. Other beings may have other basic needs; as a Universalist I recognize there is no one single path to the truth.

We shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the vegan path. Contemplate vegetarianism in the context of the multiplicity of human existence. There is so much uncertainty about the future... who is to say that vegans may not someday save humanity from extinction? Imagine a possible future in which all food animals are eaten to extinction!  Well, that would give the vegans an evolutionary advantage. That is if they are actually able to sustain a breeding population long enough for the epigenetic changes necessary to truly adapt. I doubt it, but stranger things have happened.

Then try to imagine if Durian and Freelee were actually able to have viable offspring and raise them to adulthood on a raw vegan diet. Perhaps they could spawn forth a generation of humans who are adapted well to living without animal foods. So when the great famine comes they would be able to survive on a diet of thirty bananas a day, while the rest of us starve.

I know it's highly unlikely, but stranger things have happened.

What is more likely is that our paleo decendents will eat the vegan decendants in order to survive a great famine.  ;)  Time will tell.

A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2012, 09:31:27 am »
 ;D

LOL. Sabertooth - I think maybe Freelee and DR should get on their bikes and try to get as much of a head start as they can!

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2012, 09:49:39 am »
I'm beginning to finally accept the value of pluralism in the raw foods movements. Listen to all extremes with a discerning ear and take it all with a grain of sea salt. There is this idea that perhaps even raw vegans have some inherent value in the great magnificence of things.
Yes, I learned from Durianrider that if you're going to eat the Cavendish bananas commonly sold in the USA you should eat them very ripe (what most folks would consider overripe).
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2012, 05:22:11 am »
Phil - do you believe that? I trust your experience much more than DRs. Over ripe bananas are pretty yucky tasting don't you think? The only way I would eat those would be as frozen banana icecream - which I have to admit is pretty yummy.

I had three bananas the night before last (unusual for me to eat so many - usually only one at a time) and I had a terrible night and felt bad the next morning. I was thinking about the banana people and wondering how on earth they could eat 30 and live to tell the tale. Maybe it's because they eat them rotten?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2012, 05:42:21 am »
Phil - do you believe that? I trust your experience much more than DRs.
My experience so far matches his advice, though I don't seem to tolerate even overripe bananas nearly as well as what appears to be my best-tolerated fruit so far--wild berries, such as wild Maine blueberries.

Over ripe bananas are pretty yucky tasting don't you think?
It can take some getting used to, though I did learn a trick that helped when I was a wee lad. My mother used to buy tons of bananas and they would ferment and attract fruit flies. I got sick of those annoying pests, so I tried to eat up all the bananas before they could rot. Humorously, that only encouraged her to buy more. I learned that by mushing them up in a bowl they for some reason became more palatable. Adding cinnamon also helped.

I had three bananas the night before last (unusual for me to eat so many - usually only one at a time) and I had a terrible night and felt bad the next morning. I was thinking about the banana people and wondering how on earth they could eat 30 and live to tell the tale. Maybe it's because they eat them rotten?
I do suspect that that's part of it, because I read in the past several of them saying that that helped, in addition to DR.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2012, 05:51:02 am »
The very ripe bananas here get put into the freezer to be used as icecream - but rarely get used because icecream takes some effort - but I'm going to do an experiment! I'm going to take three of those bananas and make them into icecream in the evening and see if they affect me differently. If they do - then the only bananas we will have are the icreammy kind.

Have you ever had banana icecream Phil? If you get that food processor you will be able to try it. Put some of that on your Maine wild blueberries and you might be in for some real fun. ;)

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2012, 06:03:51 am »
I did meet some whole food vegan kids once at a birthday party and while all the other kids were playing, the supposedly 'healthier' kids were too busy finding kiwifruit and other things they were allowed to eat to bother with play. They were on a totally different mental level from the others - they seemed a lot more basic and not communicating with the others, maybe nutritionally challenged?

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2012, 06:08:06 am »
Maybe just HUNGRY!

When eating raw vegan or fruitarian without enough fat I've noticed that people have to eat almost constantly and that's what they report too. When I was raw vegan I ate lots of fat (apparently enough for me) so didn't need to eat much but the ones that don't eat enough fat constantly are eating to the point where it's scary.

Offline gc

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2012, 11:03:10 am »
Maybe just HUNGRY!

When eating raw vegan or fruitarian without enough fat I've noticed that people have to eat almost constantly and that's what they report too. When I was raw vegan I ate lots of fat (apparently enough for me) so didn't need to eat much but the ones that don't eat enough fat constantly are eating to the point where it's scary.

I had that problem when I was eating vegans too. When the apocalypse comes, I'll skip 'em. They're more like a dessert than a meal and I'll be needing something that'll stick to my ribs.

LOL. Sabertooth - I think maybe Freelee and DR should get on their bikes and try to get as much of a head start as they can!

Not on their diets. I'll catch them at the end of the block on my own feet.

On a more serious note, for Inger - it takes time. I've been through it and I'm certain others here have, too. There are lots of reasons why marriages break up. But we all do eventually heal, and when that time comes, watch out!  -d
insert signature here

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2012, 01:47:37 pm »
There was this Gary Larson cartoon with two bears watching a couple of hunters go by. One turns to the other and says, "Oh, I don't eat those - too many preservatives."

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2012, 06:38:18 am »
I had that problem when I was eating vegans too. When the apocalypse comes, I'll skip 'em. They're more like a dessert than a meal and I'll be needing something that'll stick to my ribs.
Hey nothin a bit of salt and pepper wouldn't fix.
Cheers
Al

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2012, 06:54:53 pm »
I have the same experience with any high carb food. If i eat too much carbs short before going to bed i sleep very restless. I wake up all the time, have weird dreams and just feel nervous. I wake up feeling severely hung over. Took me a while to figure it out but there is no doubt the same every time.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 07:21:58 pm by TylerDurden »
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2012, 01:39:07 am »
I have the same experience with any high carb food. If i eat too much carbs short before going to bed i sleep very restless. I wake up all the time, have weird dreams and just feel nervous. I wake up feeling severely hung over. Took me a while to figure it out but there is no doubt the same every time.

It's funny that I never really ate like that at night before to figure it out. I usually like vegetables or protein at night time. I wonder what possessed me??? It has to be this thread! That's it. See how much damage this kind of talk can do?!!!! ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk