Author Topic: Raw Unheated Honey  (Read 138794 times)

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Raw Unheated Honey
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2010, 08:31:17 am »
We buy it in bulk in a large container from local producers. Well actually we buy it from the collectors who get it from the producers of the final product... :D However.. runs 3 Can. dollars a pound. You do have to ask them if they heat it and verify their version of heated because apparently smoke and heat is used in the collection process and producers will reheat it later to allow it to pour more easily into containers. They think you mean pasteurized when you ask if it is heated.

We buy 30 pounds at a time at this point.

BTW Anyone see the "B Movie".  ;D
Cheers
Al

Offline reyyzl

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Chicken Schwarma
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2010, 02:35:24 pm »
    You mean the one that came out in 2007?
"A genuine RPDer should always live by the coast." -TylerDurden Global Moderator Mammoth Hunter

Too often we get caught up trying to get to the end. What is most important however is to discover the beginning. We don’t solve problems or start to heal unless we can be willing, be kind, laugh a little and commit to seeking until we find. If we can, we’ll get started. I’ll meet you at the beginning!
“Reflections on My Travels…India” by Michael J Tamura ~ pg. 57

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2010, 09:16:38 pm »
    You mean the one that came out in 2007?

Probably that's the one. That was hilarious!
Cheers
Al

Offline wildbee

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2010, 05:10:05 am »
You do have to ask them if they heat it and verify their version of heated because apparently smoke and heat is used in the collection process and producers will reheat it later to allow it to pour more easily into containers.

oh yes, smoke - one more thing for the list :O

Offline reyyzl

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Chicken Schwarma
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2010, 12:36:50 am »
Probably that's the one. That was hilarious!

Bees are so fascinating, and that was funny, very entertaining.
"A genuine RPDer should always live by the coast." -TylerDurden Global Moderator Mammoth Hunter

Too often we get caught up trying to get to the end. What is most important however is to discover the beginning. We don’t solve problems or start to heal unless we can be willing, be kind, laugh a little and commit to seeking until we find. If we can, we’ll get started. I’ll meet you at the beginning!

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2010, 07:55:58 am »
I'm going to post about this on the Primal Diet yahoo group and let you know. They seem more aware of this issue and know about all the genuine 100% raw brands - not surprising as they eat so much raw honey.
I posted there and no one's replied for weeks :/

Offline sanborn

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2010, 10:58:42 am »
Hello!  Really Raw Honey is on Aajonus' list of producers and distributors as a honey that he has checked out and is really raw.  There is lots of misrepresentation (call it lying?) by honey manufacturers.  Aajonus' whole list is available at http://www.wewant2live.com/site/811618/product/RPD-01
At the Hollywood (California) farmer's market, you can go to the Honey Pacifica display and ask for "Aajonus Grade" and they will give you really raw excellent honey.  We get a half gallon at a time. 
I don't know where you live, but Aajonus' list covers a lot of resources in the USA that will ship.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2010, 06:22:04 pm »
Really Raw Honey is on Aajonus' list of producers and distributors as a honey that he has checked out and is really raw. 
Gauging by my experiences when I ate it I truly doubt this.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline chucky

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2010, 01:15:32 am »
I have been experimenting with raw honey this weekend and have had both bad and great results with it. If taken without water it gives me energy but when taken with water or close to drinking water I will get bad case of fatigue.

Also, is there a way to combat possible fructose intolerance. Thing is that when a fruit has higher fructose content to glycose it makes me act weird.. kind of childish.. I think it helps some when I take it with food but when I take it with meat or fat, I gain weight instantly..

Offline sanborn

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2010, 02:06:51 pm »
Hello!  I know Really Raw Honey actually is all that they say it is - as this has been checked out by Aajonus.  Personally I love the taste although only get this about once a year because I have so many wonderful varieties available where I live (in southern California) from Honey Pacifica.
The other brand is not included in Aajonus' list of verified producers... as can be obtained on his site.  If you want to verify this yourself, call the company.  The key question is "to what degree temperature is your honey heated?"  Another question is "how much is it smoked?".

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2010, 08:02:47 pm »
Hello!  I know Really Raw Honey actually is all that they say it is - as this has been checked out by Aajonus.  Personally I love the taste although only get this about once a year because I have so many wonderful varieties available where I live (in southern California) from Honey Pacifica.
The other brand is not included in Aajonus' list of verified producers... as can be obtained on his site.  If you want to verify this yourself, call the company.  The key question is "to what degree temperature is your honey heated?"  Another question is "how much is it smoked?".
I know it's been touted as raw. My body's reactions to it tell me otherwise. It is possible that it's raw and I have issues with something else in it but I'm doubtful of this. Of course I'm always doubtful of manufacturer's claims until my experiences corroborate their claims. :)
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline reyyzl

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Chicken Schwarma
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2010, 03:09:01 am »
I know it's been touted as raw. My body's reactions to it tell me otherwise. It is possible that it's raw and I have issues with something else in it but I'm doubtful of this. Of course I'm always doubtful of manufacturer's claims until my experiences corroborate their claims. :)

I love Really Raw Honey, but I have an issue with it.  Sometimes the cappings on RRH are thick and dark.  Sometimes they're thin and light.  Sometimes the honey itself comes to me crystalized, most of the time not.  I would like to know if it's just as raw in all these forms.

Offline chucky

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2010, 03:14:54 am »
   I love Really Raw Honey, but I have an issue with it.  Sometimes the cappings on RRH are thick and dark.  Sometimes they're thin and light.  Sometimes the honey itself is crystalized, most of the time not.  I would like to know if it's just as raw in all these forms.

Raw honey should be crystallizing faster than heated honey.

I experimented with just raw honey and some meat/fat at weekend I have tried to eat larger amounts of meats with few tsp of honey. I get extremely bloated after eating larger amounts of raw meat with raw honey.. It feels like my whole colon is full of something. I wonder if I am reacting to it or is there any kind of healing explanation to it ? I don't have any other symptoms associated with candida expect that bloating issue. Actually I have noticed decrease of my thrush on tongue.. I hope it's healing my gut...  -\

Offline reyyzl

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Chicken Schwarma
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2010, 03:29:54 am »
Raw honey should be crystallizing faster than heated honey.

I get extremely bloated after eating larger amounts of raw meat with raw honey.. It feels like my whole colon is full of something.

I've had it delivered by mail from them, and I've gotten it in different stores and states.  Some it always comes crystalized, some never. Maybe some keep it cooler? Maybe certain batches are delivered to certain stores? They all have air conditioning, so I don't think that's a factor.  It may be the shipping method or storage room of the store.

Aajonus says honey with meat strengthens the heart. Others say honey grows good bacteria for man.  Honey alone is said to heal stomach and intestines.  I believe the combination is good for the heart.
Perhaps the combination is bad for the intestines or like you said performing some healing.

Offline chucky

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2010, 03:37:43 am »
I've had it delivered by mail from them, and I've gotten it in different stores and states.  Some it always comes crystalized, some never. Maybe some keep it cooler? Maybe certain batches are delivered to certain stores? They all have air conditioning, so I don't think that's a factor.  It may be the shipping method or storage room of the store.

Aajonus says honey with meat strengthens the heart. Others say honey grows good bacteria for man.  Honey alone is said to heal stomach and intestines.  I believe the combination is good for the heart.
Perhaps the combination is bad for the intestines or like you said performing some healing.

Thanks, I didn't know about the combination being helpful for the heart. I'm going to give it another week and see what will happen.

Though I just found this:

Fructose adversely affects your body in a number of ways, but one of the mechanisms that causes significant damage is glycation, a process by which the sugar bonds with proteins and forms so-called advanced glycation end products, or AGEs.
I have absolutely no idea how much of this is true.

Is this honey that you are ordering collected from the same flowers and plants ? Different flowers make the honey crystallize faster/slower

Offline reyyzl

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Chicken Schwarma
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2010, 03:40:40 am »
Thanks, I didn't know about the combination being helpful for the heart. I'm going to give it another week and see what will happen.

Is this honey that you are ordering collected from the same flowers and plants ? Different flowers make the honey crystallize faster/slower

You're welcome.  Good luck :-)

Yes, it's from different times of year and different farms.  Thank you.  It might be the flowers.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2010, 09:16:39 am »
Has anyone tried this cold-packed raw honey? It's cheaper than Really Raw honey.

http://www.vitaglo.com/swwiofearawh.htmll
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 06, 2010, 10:05:38 am »
Has anyone tried this cold-packed raw honey? It's cheaper than Really Raw honey.

http://www.vitaglo.com/swwiofearawh.htmll

I haven't tried it, but I've seen it on Aajonus' list of producers.

I find the price on that VitaGlo website suspiciously low. The website of the producer is:

http://www.earlvillefarms.com/

A 5-pound jar costs $70, and if you buy 6 jars, the cost is $53 per 5 pounds.

VitaGlo sells a 5-pound jar for $35. How can they do this without losing money?

If you're looking for a good price on unheated honey, it's hard to beat Honey Pacifica.

I don't understand why some unheated honeys (such as S.W. of Earlville, or Volcano Island Honey) are so expensive, while others (such as Honey Pacifica) are so cheap.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2010, 10:25:05 am »
Yes, it's all rather puzzling. It's also puzzling that the local centrifuged field legume (like alfalfa, as I recall) honey I buy is already crystallized before it's even bottled, whereas some of the cold packed honeys appear to be liquid in the images on the Internet. Apparently different flowers produce honeys that have different tendencies to crystallize?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2010, 10:56:21 am »
Yes, it's all rather puzzling. It's also puzzling that the local centrifuged field legume (like alfalfa, as I recall) honey I buy is already crystallized before it's even bottled, whereas some of the cold packed honeys appear to be liquid in the images on the Internet. Apparently different flowers produce honeys that have different tendencies to crystallize?

Raw liquid honey will eventually crystalize...but it takes a while.
The difference is:
Liquid honey has been filtered to remove fine particles, pollen grains, and air bubbles...
Creamed honey has granulated honey blended with liquid honey.

If you scroll down this article its talks about the different types... http://hubpages.com/hub/Honey-A-Primer

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2010, 02:52:01 pm »
Raw liquid honey will eventually crystalize...but it takes a while.
That's true.
The higher the content of the fructose the longer the crystalization.
Acacia honey (which has got the highest fructose content in comparison with the other honeys) starts to crystalize after half of the year.
Those that has got less of the fructose can crystalize after couple of weeks.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2010, 03:03:18 am »
"The higher the content of the fructose the longer the crystalization."
Thanks for that explanation, [Hannibal].

Champlain Valley clover and alfalfa "naturally crystallized raw" honey is thick, opaque and crystallized-looking even before it's centrifuged (though this image isn't a great one):

This image, after it's centrifuged, more clearly shows its thick, crystallized look:

It's hard to tell, but it even looks crystallized when it's still in the combs:

Whereas this cold packed sage honey still looks thin and liquidy after being bottled and put up for sale:

In the stores I've noticed that Champlain Valley honey is never liquidy, whereas other honeys take time to get as thick and crystallized. On the other hand, the Champlain Valley honey doesn't turn real hard as fast as other raw honeys.

Does this mean that clover and alfalfa honey is lower in fructose than other honeys like sage?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 04:58:02 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2010, 03:49:14 am »
Thanks for that explanation, Miles.

No problem Phil, just glad to see Hannibal is relaying my messages as ordered. Been having problems with him of late, having his own ideas and such, but those Hindu squats I've been getting him to do have taught him some respect it would seem.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 03:56:55 am by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2010, 04:58:32 am »
Oops, sorry, I meant Hannibal.   :(

Interestingly, Really Raw cold packed Honey is also much cheaper than Earlville Farms' price on their own site:

5LJR    5 lb. Plastic Plastic Jar RRH    $42.50    OUT OF STOCK
http://www.reallyrawhoney.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RRH&Category_Code=RRH
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 05:39:53 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2010, 06:08:53 am »
No problem Phil, just glad to see Hannibal is relaying my messages as ordered. Been having problems with him of late, having his own ideas and such, but those Hindu squats I've been getting him to do have taught him some respect it would seem.
;D
-Henry David Thoreau

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk