Author Topic: Raw Unheated Honey  (Read 138799 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Raw Unheated Honey
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2010, 06:14:02 am »
So people are stating that it is physically possible to put raw honey into jars without heating it in any way, and still making it commercially viable re profit?!
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2010, 09:11:47 am »
Yeah, Aajonus has claimed that for years, for example. You buy honeycomb and are suspicious of any jarred honey, right? Do you have evidence that Aajonus and cold-packed raw honey sellers are wrong and that honey can only be jarred and sold profitably if heated?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2010, 09:38:58 am »
Only my own and a few others' experiences. I have yet to come across 1 jarred, so-called raw honey which did not affect me far worse than raw honeycomb.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2010, 12:01:29 pm »
But wouldn't apple juice affect you differently to apples?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2010, 08:22:16 pm »
I checked with Earlville Farms and they say the Vitaglo price is legit. Vitaglo apparently makes their money on high volumes with "razor thin margins." Unfortunately the little guys can't compete with the big guys' prices.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline B.Money

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2010, 06:11:57 am »
Just came across this video, he talks about the importance of getting organic honey to avoid toxins and GMO's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rddFt_i6pk

Anyone know anything more about this? I am not sure how a bee could be confined to only organic flowers, etc.

I get cold packed honey from honey pacifica and they are not organic--but on the other hand it says "wild flower honey", so in that case would it matter if its from the wildflowers in the hills?

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2010, 06:38:25 am »
@ B.Money

Bees fly up to 1.5 miles/2.5 km away from the hive to get nectar.
So I am guessing if the flower fields are wild and organic within a 3 km radius of the hive you should be safe.

Wild flowers in a relatively remote area should be pretty organic...

----------

Yesterday I ate lots of buckwheat blossom honey, its one of the best man, it tasted insanely sweet but bitter (in good way).
Its the darkest honey I have ever seen...
I heard the darker honeys have more antioxidants then lighter ones.
Some wildflower honeys are pretty light but have great floral or citrus tastes.
But the buckwheat one tastes special from the others...I slept like a dead log from it too, good.
Man I can live on meat and honey, lol, but I am not going to.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2010, 08:31:46 am »
I use desert wildflower and flagstaff wildflower honey. I don't trust the word "organic" as much as i trust my ability to ask questions. I found a place that provides WONDERFUL honey but not "organic". If you don't have the time to hunt for it, i would go with "organic" crystallized honey just to be safe. But they can still use chemicals, just different ones approved by the USDA(i think maybe FDA).

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2010, 10:44:20 am »
Yeah, 'organic' apples are usually still treated with pesticides...
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline B.Money

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 14, 2010, 10:47:45 am »
Really? I didn't know organic applies can still be sprayed. How do they get around that?

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 14, 2010, 02:57:52 pm »

That's my truly raw honeycomb.
I got it with the frame, directly from a local traditional beekeeper.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 14, 2010, 04:44:35 pm »
That looks really tasty, and crunchy, and sweet.

I like buckwheat honey the best but I'Ve only tried buckwheat and wildflower. I like the buckwheat way better than the wildflower. Honey and meat do go together really well. Even milk and vegetable juices go well with them. and fruit

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 14, 2010, 04:59:25 pm »
I friend beekeeper had left a 200 liters (yes, two hundreds!) drum of such honey in my basement! It was a little bit spoiled and not good for sale, but still fine and tasty for me. I kept a 10 liters pot when he finally took the drum away to give to his pigs... The honey has somewhat fermented, I like it so but i don't eat much of it - and very seldom. I think it 'll last for the whole rest of my live  :P
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 14, 2010, 06:36:53 pm »
I used to have natural wild honey all the time from my grandma's home. It's a huge home (Historic garden home) with tropical fruits garden, flower garden, huge pond... gorgeous! Bees are always naturally attracted by these natural beauties and flowers all year round. Still there are some bee hives around the house. Here is a photo where you can see even the bees are on it.
bugs or country chickens

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 14, 2010, 06:41:15 pm »
Sorry, i don't know the proper way to put photo on this topic
bugs or country chickens

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 14, 2010, 10:43:58 pm »
Is it possible that honeycomb from abroad (eg from newzealand is a common one) has been treated with gamma radiation and if so is that a problem?
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 15, 2010, 01:31:21 am »
Really? I didn't know organic applies can still be sprayed. How do they get around that?

They spray them with organic pesticides.

Sorry, i don't know the proper way to put photo on this topic

Click on 'additional options' outside the bottom-left corner of your text box, as you're typing your reply. Then next to 'attach', click 'choose file'.

I friend beekeeper had left a 200 liters (yes, two hundreds!) drum of such honey in my basement! It was a little bit spoiled and not good for sale, but still fine and tasty for me. I kept a 10 liters pot when he finally took the drum away to give to his pigs... The honey has somewhat fermented, I like it so but i don't eat much of it - and very seldom. I think it 'll last for the whole rest of my live  :P

WOW.

Offline B.Money

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 15, 2010, 02:53:08 am »
Man that honey comb looks sooooo goood. I used to love the cappings from "really raw honey" but I figure the source I have now is better quality.

It LOOKS like Honey Pacifica (cold/hand packed honey) uses some smoke to scatter/calm the bees and they use powdered sugar if there is a mite problem (got this off of a comment on youtube). Is this within reason, and still considered a good/safe source?

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #118 on: November 15, 2010, 05:50:51 am »
It LOOKS like Honey Pacifica (cold/hand packed honey) uses some smoke to scatter/calm the bees and they use powdered sugar if there is a mite problem (got this off of a comment on youtube).

I think you're right, they use smoke, or did a couple of years back. They may have stopped using smoke now.  How does powdered sugar stop mites? Do you have a link to that video? Maybe I can ask the OP.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline B.Money

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 15, 2010, 06:59:46 am »
Yeah, here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkOvRsLSf6E

Look in the comments, it looks like the person who shot the video is the grandson of the founder according to the description.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 15, 2010, 09:09:43 am »
I did a quick search and only found one mention of an unsmoked raw honey. Are there any others?

Pureliving Honey
unheated and non-smoked
http://onibasu.com/archives/km/4923.html

Does it make a difference whether it's smoked or not, given that hunter gatherers and traditional peoples like the Honeymen of Africa use smoke to calm stinging wild bees as they gather the honeycomb/grubcomb?

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 15, 2010, 01:03:54 pm »
Does it make a difference whether it's smoked or not, given that hunter gatherers and traditional peoples like the Honeymen of Africa use smoke to calm stinging wild bees as they gather the honeycomb/grubcomb?

I would guess it would be better without. Tiny amounts of tar should not be too hard on the body though..
Imagine that... smoking a blunt, blowing it at the bees getting them high, and eating their honey while they are stoned
You better hope those bees are not scrappy stoners. LOL
Do you know what herb they used to smoke the bees with? a link would be fantastic

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #122 on: November 16, 2010, 12:47:03 am »
    If I could, would go for the no smoke, especially if detoxing from smoke and stuff.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline B.Money

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 01, 2011, 03:04:29 am »
It seems like honey pacifica's cold packed honey gives me issues (looser stools) while really raw honey doesn't at least thats how I remember it. Could this be possible, or am I just nuts? If anything I would think the really raw honey is more processed since it seems to be a bigger company.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 01, 2011, 03:14:31 am »
Loose poopies could mean detox. I always feel better after mud slides.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk